• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Metal Mags

shaffe48

On 9/8/2021 at 11:22 PM, 98Z5V said:

STOP!  Wait, hold on, relax. 

You have two tungsten weights coming to you.  You have two tungsten weights in that buffer that you have right now - none of these will go to waste.

Buy this buffer from DSG Arms.  It's a 2.500" buffer for $22.  It's 3.8oz, but it gets its weight from a stainless steel body (not aluminum body), with two steel weights inside.  You spend $22, take it apart, take out it's steel weights, replace with the tungsten that you have, and you've made your buffer that you need for way cheaper...   :thumbup:

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4201-0021

0021116_dsg-308762-short-carbine-buffer-for-standard-carbine-buffer-tubes.jpeg

Combine that buffer ^^^ with a Sprinco Orange spring, and you're set for your recoil system - done.  It'll work like a champ, and I can tell you that what I'm describing is running in my .260 Rem gun right now.  Buffer weight comes up to 5.15oz with that combination, and that's close enough to 5.4oz, and works WAY mo' bettah than a 3.8oz buffer and questionable recoil spring.

I received my buffer and spring today and swapped out the weights and installed them.

I fired a magazine with two rounds and it cycled and locked back on the last round.  I then inserted a full magazine and fired two rounds and it also cycled with a full magazine.

Brass lands 10 ft away directly to my right.  I'm not sure what is typical for a 308.  I can try adjusting the gas down later.

48 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Compared to an H&K 91 that's a short distance. My Diamonbacks throw them about six feet.

Well I guess there's no reason not to try adjusting the gas eventually just to make sure it isn't recoiling any more than it has to  but I'm not too worried about it at the moment.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

HSGI Taco's hold 308 sized mags fairly well, not all the sides/parts of the pouches are "stitched" but kept tight (and tension adjustable) by elastic cord.  Pretty neat. They have some with flap covers too but not sure how they would do with 308.  Depends what you want, I guess.

Edited by Tack14

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, shaffe48 said:

Well I'm not a seamstress, so under close inspection you'll know something went down.  But I'm calling this a success.

In addition to dyeing the original camo pattern with dark green dye, I converted the middle six mag pouches into four by taking out the dividers and adding a 4 mag cloth insert.  The two end pouches are designed for either magazines, a small radio, or a large gps unit so they already fit .308 mags.  If you choose to use them as mag carriers you will have the standard 6 + 1 magazines.  (Of course, these are 20 not 30 round magazines being a .308 so 140 not 210 rounds.)

Also on the carrier is a ifak with complete march refill kit, compass, and a canteen pouch holding my bipod, weapons light, and four cliff bars in the grenade portion.  The back pouches contain my camo face mask, camo gloves, additional camo netting, water filter and squeeze pouch, water tabs, lense wipes, and a multi tool.  

Optional additions are the three liter camelback for water and my existing hunting binocular carrier which also houses a range finder and wind meter.

IMG_20210910_233324.jpg

IMG_20210912_151856.jpg

Why didn't you just resew the TAPS itself into 4 mag pouches?

Because resewing the dividers in would be much more difficult than glueing in the insert or sewing the insert at key points.  One reason is that many of the other add ONS like MOLLE, straps, and mesh pockets were probably sewn after the dividers

1 hour ago, Steve_In_29 said:

Why didn't you just resew the TAPS itself into 4 mag pouches?