• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Metal Mags

shaffe48

Hi new to forum and new to ar308 in last few months.  But I'm an experienced rifleman and have used to m16/m4 in the service.

Rifle is a psa pa10 gen  3 in .308.

I bought an army surplus taps chest rig and it really doesn't hold Magpul pmags unless I only use every other pouch.  My understanding is that this rig struggles with even 5.56 pmags.   

I wonder if there's a reasonably priced 20 rd metal mag that might fit better and be reliable.

Thanks.

Edited by shaffe48
Typo

1 hour ago, shaffe48 said:

Hi new to forum and new to ar308 in last few months.  But I'm an experienced rifleman and have used to m16/m4 in the service.

Rifle is a psa pa10 gen  3 in .308.

I bought an army surplus taps chest rig and it really doesn't hold Magpul pmags unless I only use every other pouch.  My understanding is that this rig struggles with even 5.56 pmags.   

I wonder if there's a reasonably priced 20 rd metal mag that might fit better and be reliable.

Thanks.

What is your question, exactly?  On the chest rig?  Or magazines?

Expect to do work on that PSA gun that you just bought, just to make it run right. That's not me - that's just history.

Post a direct link to the chest rig that you bought- that will help.

I hit this for a search "taps chest rig" - and I came up with this...

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=taps+chest+rig&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid07DDu9_yAhXOvp4KHcw0Cg0QjJkEegQIAhAC&biw=1519&bih=687

No idea what you have.

Edited by 98Z5V

It's just the issue Tactical Assault Panel.  UCP camo versions are now being sold as cheap surplus items.  I don't know how common they were in issue.

Ill get a few metal mags. If they fit better great.  If not I can still fit five using every other thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UPDBOS4

Edited by shaffe48

Yah the cost of being different with the .308.  What I like about the taps is that it holds the mags much more streamlined than attaching individual pouches and cost me $15 but buying pouches and a vest or other attachment also an option.

The mag dividers are about three inches apart which is just big enough I think for any 7.62 mag so I think the metal mags with no curve will do better but still won't be perfect.

I'm considering adjusting the dividers in the tap system for the small mag area holds 4 or 5 instead of 6 and then the two big pouches on the end.

Thanks a lot of good options. Which is good I might need backups.  My current setup has internal pockets and molle to attach my first aid kit and pouch too but it doesn't fit my mags too well.  I'm going to use a seam ripper to remove the current dividers and turn it into one big pocket.  Then I'm going to sew an insert out of canvas that fits my desired mags.  Then I'm going to use fabric glue to glue it into the pockets.

And if it doesn't work I'm not out much!

On 9/1/2021 at 11:23 PM, 98Z5V said:

Expect to do work on that PSA gun that you just bought, just to make it run right. That's not me - that's just history.

I read some of your other threads.  The rifle has a rifle length gas system, adjustable, 7 inch buffer tube, and h buffer.  As of now the rifle functions and, while I rarely run a magazine dry, it locked back when I did.  It ejects straight out the side but it does eject brass a long ways, over ten feet for sure.

I just ordered two additional tungsten weight to turn the buffer into a h3 buffer.  Perhaps this will slow down the cycling and lead to less parts wear and less recoil. 

8 minutes ago, shaffe48 said:

I read some of your other threads.  The rifle has a rifle length gas system, adjustable, 7 inch buffer tube, and h buffer.  As of now the rifle functions and, while I rarely run a magazine dry, it locked back when I did.  It ejects straight out the side but it does eject brass a long ways, over ten feet for sure.

I just ordered two additional tungsten weight to turn the buffer into a h3 buffer.  Perhaps this will slow down the cycling and lead to less parts wear and less recoil. 

That will help, drastically - but not so much in this case.  If you have a 7.000" receiver extension now, that means that you have a 2.500" buffer in there.  The only way you can GET a 2.500" aluminum-bodied buffer to 3.8oz (H1 weight) is with two tungsten weights.  3 weights won't fit in a 2.500" buffer body.  You already have 2 tungstens in there, in the buffer that you have.

I have options for you, though. 

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That will help, drastically - but not so much in this case.  If you have a 7.000" receiver extension now, that means that you have a 2.500" buffer in there.  The only way you can GET a 2.500" aluminum-bodied buffer to 3.8oz (H1 weight) is with two tungsten weights.  3 weights won't fit in a 2.500" buffer body.  You already have 2 tungstens in there, in the buffer that you have.

I have options for you, though. 

In that case I'll order a heavy buffer that is only 2.5 inches long.

14 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

Have you bought the mags yet?

No I'm working this a week to modify my rig to hold bigger mags.  If that works I might just stick with the pmags.  I'm not impressed by their bulkiness to include unnecessary ribbing 'for grip' and even the oversized cap on the bottom.  But they are reliable even the military is starting to issue their 5.56 versions.

36 minutes ago, shaffe48 said:

No I'm working this a week to modify my rig to hold bigger mags.  If that works I might just stick with the pmags.  I'm not impressed by their bulkiness to include unnecessary ribbing 'for grip' and even the oversized cap on the bottom.  But they are reliable even the military is starting to issue their 5.56 versions.

You looked at any hexmags in 308?

They work well too

I have 2 ASC 20 round mags.  Have not shot much ammo yet but they seem to work OK.  I like them because the are slimmer on the outside than the P-mags mags .  I can use them with my cheap Bi-pod on the bench.  The P-mags are to long.  If I have to tweak the ones I just ordered I will just have to learn how.  I can have 5 mags instead of one.  OK I'm cheap at times.  Some times it does cost me money to try to just get by.  😂😂😂

Steve

8 hours ago, shaffe48 said:

In that case I'll order a heavy buffer that is only 2.5 inches long.

STOP!  Wait, hold on, relax. 

You have two tungsten weights coming to you.  You have two tungsten weights in that buffer that you have right now - none of these will go to waste.

Buy this buffer from DSG Arms.  It's a 2.500" buffer for $22.  It's 3.8oz, but it gets its weight from a stainless steel body (not aluminum body), with two steel weights inside.  You spend $22, take it apart, take out it's steel weights, replace with the tungsten that you have, and you've made your buffer that you need for way cheaper...   :thumbup:

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4201-0021

0021116_dsg-308762-short-carbine-buffer-for-standard-carbine-buffer-tubes.jpeg

Combine that buffer ^^^ with a Sprinco Orange spring, and you're set for your recoil system - done.  It'll work like a champ, and I can tell you that what I'm describing is running in my .260 Rem gun right now.  Buffer weight comes up to 5.15oz with that combination, and that's close enough to 5.4oz, and works WAY mo' bettah than a 3.8oz buffer and questionable recoil spring.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

STOP!  Wait, hold on, relax. 

You have two tungsten weights coming to you.  You have two tungsten weights in that buffer that you have right now - none of these will go to waste.

Buy this buffer from DSG Arms.  It's a 2.500" buffer for $22.  It's 3.8oz, but it gets its weight from a stainless steel body (not aluminum body), with two steel weights inside.  You spend $22, take it apart, take out it's steel weights, replace with the tungsten that you have, and you've made your buffer that you need for way cheaper...   :thumbup:

https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4201-0021

0021116_dsg-308762-short-carbine-buffer-for-standard-carbine-buffer-tubes.jpeg

Combine that buffer ^^^ with a Sprinco Orange spring, and you're set for your recoil system - done.  It'll work like a champ, and I can tell you that what I'm describing is running in my .260 Rem gun right now.  Buffer weight comes up to 5.15oz with that combination, and that's close enough to 5.4oz, and works WAY mo' bettah than a 3.8oz buffer and questionable recoil spring.

Ok thanks.  I already cancelled the two additional weights but I should be able to scavenge the two in my current buffer and put into this one.

Well I'm not a seamstress, so under close inspection you'll know something went down.  But I'm calling this a success.

In addition to dyeing the original camo pattern with dark green dye, I converted the middle six mag pouches into four by taking out the dividers and adding a 4 mag cloth insert.  The two end pouches are designed for either magazines, a small radio, or a large gps unit so they already fit .308 mags.  If you choose to use them as mag carriers you will have the standard 6 + 1 magazines.  (Of course, these are 20 not 30 round magazines being a .308 so 140 not 210 rounds.)

Also on the carrier is a ifak with complete march refill kit, compass, and a canteen pouch holding my bipod, weapons light, and four cliff bars in the grenade portion.  The back pouches contain my camo face mask, camo gloves, additional camo netting, water filter and squeeze pouch, water tabs, lense wipes, and a multi tool.  

Optional additions are the three liter camelback for water and my existing hunting binocular carrier which also houses a range finder and wind meter.

IMG_20210910_233324.jpg

IMG_20210912_151856.jpg

Edited by shaffe48