• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trim Gas Tube?

Harveyshot

I'm building an LR-308 and just when I thought I had all the parts and was ready to assemble, the gas tube is too long.

The barrel is a 20" CBC with a rifle length gas port. The gas tube is Wilson Combat, rifle length. Mercury BCG. When the block and tube are in place on the barrel, the gas key bottoms out on the tube.

I've read the rifle length gas tube should be 15 1/8" - 15 1/4". This one is 15 1/2".

The question is: can the gas tube be cut? I know the end of the tube is beveled for easier insertion into the gas key (I'm guessing but seems logical) but is it necessary?

This build has been going on for months and I'm always waiting for parts in the mail that seems to take forever these days.

Hopefully I've given you enough info to answer the question.

gas-tube-01.JPG

That's a DPMS LR-308 based barrel, where they drilled the gas port location.  Any AR15 rifle gas tube will work perfectly.

Save that 15.5" gas tube - that's the Armalite AR-10 rifle length gas tube, right there. 

Don't cut it - replace it and keep it.  Cutting it won't work with a damn, because you'll remove the flare on the end.

11 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't cut it - replace it and keep it.  Cutting it won't work with a damn, because you'll remove the flare on the end.

Thank you, that's what I figured.

I confused AR-10 with LR-308 when I ordered it. It's still within OpticsPlanet's free return shipping window so back it goes since I doubt I'll ever need it. This is the second and last AR I'll build (maybe).

Back to waiting.

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a DPMS LR-308 based barrel, where they drilled the gas port location.  Any AR15 rifle gas tube will work perfectly.

Save that 15.5" gas tube - that's the Armalite AR-10 rifle length gas tube, right there. 

10 minutes ago, Savage11006 said:

I may be interested in it if that's something you would want to do

I think they're only about $18 at OpticsPlanet.com (plus shipping if you don't order $49 worth of stuff.)

Now that I mentioned that, I think if I send it back they'll be adding shipping charges to that previous order of mine since the gas tube return will lower the total to under $49. Sheesh.

What do you have in mind?

1 minute ago, Savage11006 said:

If 98 needs it now I can wait. I still got a bit before i truly need it. 

You had dibs, brother....   :thumbup::lmao:  PIck it up, it's on your list.  I can make time, sometime, and go hassle Armalite right at their place of business.  That's the best way to get all the out of stock parts from their website - because they're all there, in the back.  I can back the car up to the front door, raise the hatch, give them my money, and load it all up...   :laffs: