• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ejector roll pin problem

Patrad

I used the search function, but didn't find anything (yes I used quote marks too). So, I got the Y/M bolt tool, and while trying to disassemble the ejector, I managed to break the roll pin punch off with the roll pin sticking out the other side. This is a Grace 1/16th pin punch. The question being is my bolt now FUBAR'ed, and I need a replacement? Or do I try and find a new pin punch locally, and try to drive the pin back in from the other side to get the broken end of the punch out?

TIA,
Mike.

24 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  This will be the best bet.  

Thanks 98. I was leaning thataway - IF anyone's got one. Hopefully, I didn't gouge the inside of the roll pin hole. In that case, a new BCG is on the map.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Well... no go with a new punch. Actually found one **ONE**. It bent, too.🙃☹️ Didn't hit it hard, either. Tried tightening down on the Y/M tool in increments from about 1 turn in to all the way in - no change. Did the same from both sides, just to see if I could get the dam thing to move - no dice. Fuq'd up a drift punch on the side with the broken pin punch too. Sheesh!!!!🤪 Next, I'll *attempt* to find a 'smith around here (they're few and dam far in between), or a machine shop to try and get it out. Those are the simplest and easiest, but if no joy, I'll contact the maker and see if they'll replace or fix it. If they do, I'll have a spare. Dam pin shouldn't be that dam tight, should it? Problem with the Y/M tool?? Or just operator dumbassattack error???

Y'all take care,
Mike.

PS: Gonna have me an adult beverage (or several)🥃🥃🥃 - NOT touching the dam thing again until I get the new boron nickel BCG from Brownells (on sale for $159.00!) on Tuesday!!!!!

Maybe all is not lost, with any luck you can turn the bent drift punch into a starter punch. The regular punch has a bit of length to it so especially on such a small diameter to length ratio it wil bend or buckle. A dude named Euler has a formula if you really need to figure it out.

If you take the bent punch and cut the length to 2-3 x dia. and use that to get the pin moving, once it's moving it should go easier. 

9 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Maybe all is not lost, with any luck you can turn the bent drift punch into a starter punch. The regular punch has a bit of length to it so especially on such a small diameter to length ratio it wil bend or buckle. A dude named Euler has a formula if you really need to figure it out.

If you take the bent punch and cut the length to 2-3 x dia. and use that to get the pin moving, once it's moving it should go easier. 

'Preciate the reply, Canuck. Yeah, those itty bitty punches are AWFUL easy to bend. Actually, the drift was already cut down, due to getting bent some time ago, so it's off to Ace Hardware for a new one. I can use the broken roll pin punch for a drift in a pinch. I have 2 new roll pin punches coming along for the ride with the new BCG. Those are supposed to be here tomorrow, and the new headspace gages are supposed to be here Thursday. Then I'll put the punch to use disassembling the new BCG to check headspace, though I suspect it'll be fine - still wanna check it to be sure.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

23 hours ago, Patrad said:

until I get the new boron nickel BCG from Brownells (on sale for $159.00!) on Tuesday!!!!!

Latest update from FedEx now says Wednesday (*&^%^**%$). Methinks it's still a helluva deal! Don't know who makes 'em for Brownells, but it says "Guaranteed forever". Anybody out there know?

Can't win 'em all☹️🥃 Ya just do the best ya can with whatcha got!😎

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Well, just got confirmation... new boron nickel BCG will (hopefully) be here tomorrow (along with the new Forster set of headspace gages - 1st 308 I've built - even though Brownells is top notch, not about to take that kinda chance, thankyouverymuch☺️), so THE PLAN (provided it doesn't go to Schiff at 1st contact) is gonna be to disassemble the bolt(!) and after reassembly, give it a soak in the Castrol syn. motor oil at least overnight. Put the rifle back together, and head to the range on Monday - Lord willing and the creek don't rise!!😁:fullauto:

Report afterwards. Fingers crossed!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

PS: Speaking of the ejector and Y/M tool - is there a CORRECT/INCORRECT way to use the Y/M ejector tool to disassemble it?? A certain number of turns or something?? Sheesh - some dam times I'm a PITA to myself!

Edited by Patrad

On 3/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, Patrad said:

I used the search function, but didn't find anything (yes I used quote marks too). So, I got the Y/M bolt tool, and while trying to disassemble the ejector, I managed to break the roll pin punch off with the roll pin sticking out the other side. This is a Grace 1/16th pin punch. The question being is my bolt now FUBAR'ed, and I need a replacement? Or do I try and find a new pin punch locally, and try to drive the pin back in from the other side to get the broken end of the punch out?

TIA,
Mike.

Don't use cheap tools on your firearms. Cheap guns aren't good and good guns aren't cheap. Just my 2 mags brother

4 hours ago, Patrad said:

Well, just got confirmation... new boron nickel BCG will (hopefully) be here tomorrow (along with the new Forster set of headspace gages - 1st 308 I've built - even though Brownells is top notch, not about to take that kinda chance, thankyouverymuch☺️), so THE PLAN (provided it doesn't go to Schiff at 1st contact) is gonna be to disassemble the bolt(!) and after reassembly, give it a soak in the Castrol syn. motor oil at least overnight. Put the rifle back together, and head to the range on Monday - Lord willing and the creek don't rise!!😁:fullauto:

Report afterwards. Fingers crossed!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

PS: Speaking of the ejector and Y/M tool - is there a CORRECT/INCORRECT way to use the Y/M ejector tool to disassemble it?? A certain number of turns or something?? Sheesh - some dam times I'm a PITA to myself!

It keeps the ejector from taking off and should relieve tension on the tool pin to drift it out. Right way is to replace pin you drifted out.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The bolt is on it's way here - I'll get it fired up and sent right back.  If the ejector needs radiused, I'll do that while it's out, then put it all back together and ship it back.  :thumbup:

You da Man!!🍻🥃🥇:hail:

13 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Don't use cheap tools on your firearms. Cheap guns aren't good and good guns aren't cheap. Just my 2 mags brother

Don't believe in cheap Schiff, 'specially tools, either. Been a gearhead since 1963, and NEVER buy 'em! Learned that lesson at an early age!!🙃 The roll pin punch is a Grace, so it's not a cheapie - maybe not top of the line, but not cheap. I was surprised when it broke like that. Then again, it IS just a 1/16th punch. I was surprised because I wasn't wailing away with a 32oz ball pein, just tapping with an 8oz plastic tipped hammer. 'Preciate yer 2 mags, Bro!😁

Y'all take care,
Mike.

13 hours ago, unforgiven said:

It keeps the ejector from taking off and should relieve tension on the tool pin to drift it out. Right way is to replace pin you drifted out.

Understand the Y/M's purpose, just didn't know if there's a right/wrong way to use it.😁 I suppose it's use varies somewhat with the particular bolt/ejector unit. Seemed like I had difficulty judging when the spring tension was relieved on the pin, though, and the pin seemed like it was extra tight. then again, maybe it was just plain dumbassery and operator error!🙃 'Preciate ya, Bro.🍻

Y'all take care,
Mike.

3 hours ago, Patrad said:

So... just looked at all 3 of my deliveries, and all show as "on vehicle for delivery". Mikee is a happy camper!!:banana:

Y'all take care,
Mike.

All arrived safely! All good. Held my breath and took the ejector out as practice for tomorrow when I check headspace. This one was downright easy in comparison to the original! Put it back together so I could check function - MOST excellent - the Brownells 1/16th roll pin punch worked like a charm (like it should). In the morning, back apart it comes for the headspace check, then for a dip in the Castrol Syn. motor earl at least overnight. Then back together, and to the range Monday to get the new bolt broke in.:fullauto: Dam, that NiB BCG is PURTY!😁 Yep, Mikee is definitely a happy camper!!🍻

Y'all take care,
Mike.