• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First AR build

striperri

First ar. Here are my build thoughts help appriciated. Hunting/range gun

Fulton Armoy upper rec

Red-x arms 20" extreme fluted barrel

Jd Machine Lower

Troy 13.8 MRF Battlerail (wish the wilson trim rail would fit love that rail.)

Need suggestions on stock please Like the UBR but worried about weight.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

-doug

1.46lbs on the UBR.  1.68lbs if you used the .308 PRS, but that's not counting the receiver extension (which the UBR comes with).  So, the UBR has some beef to it, but it's still slightly under the weight of the PRS.

With a 20" .308 barrel on there, even fluted, it's still going to need something out back to give it some balance.  A PRS would do it well, the UBR would almost be the same, and anything else is going to leave it front-heavy.  It's a .308 with a 20" barrel, so it's not going to end up as a carry-all-day, light gun.  <dontknow>

I have a Red X upper for my .308 AR build with a fluted barrel. I obviously haven't shot it yet, but the barrel is not what I would describe as light weight. Looks like a good barrel though.

I am planning to get a UBR for both my AR-15 and .308. I've held them and noticed the weight at the back, but from what I understand, that's actually an optional counter weight for heavy barreled rifles. Don't quote me on that, it's only what I've heard in product reviews. I've never actually installed one.

Fulton armory is a good company. I can't imagine their upper receivers being anything short of excellent, though I personally would go with a Vltor MUR or a Rainier Arms Ultra Match receiver. You can get them from Valhalla Tactical for $159 and $169. I special ordered my AR-15 upper with a Vltor MUR and am very glad I did. Money very well spent.

Barrel, 22" .308 AR, Heavy Weight, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

This might be a better barrell.  So help me understand lingo please. For use on DPMS/Remington/FA pattern .308 AR rifles with a rifle-length gas system, includes barrel extension

Can I go with a 13.8" trx extreme rail with low profile block. I am thinking so but not sure.

Which gas block would you use on this setup?