• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I got in trouble today - Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

98Z5V

Local Big 5 in town today, innocently enough.  <dontknow>

Just went to see what they had for gun cases, and I noticed the rifles in the racks, behind the counter.  I saw a .308 steel magazine sticking out of something in the back of the rack, and it had the unique Ruger flash suppressor on the end of the barrel - ask the counter man to please let me see that particular rifle, and he pulls out the Gunsite Scout...  :o

Now, their price was $100 under Ruger's MSRP, too.  Ah poop.  :-[

I've been wanting to play touchy-feely with one of these since they were announced and released, but I've never seen one in the wild, before today.  It is impressive.  Very nice feel when shouldering it, balanced pretty well, and the iron sights are quite good.  Needless to say, I'll be back in the store tomorrow to check it out some more.  Say, "Merry Christmas to ME..."  <laughs>

6803.jpg

Well, I went back today just to look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle a little better...  and it followed me home.  :o

So, I threw a mini red dot on it until I decide on a variable power scout-type scope...  <dontknow>  Whatever the magnified optic is, it's going into a set of Larue LT719 QD rings.  <thumbsup>

It was actually $120 under MSRP, and I talked the manager into another $50 off as a military discount.  ;D

100_0168.jpg

100_0175.jpg

10-rd single stack mag:

100_0173.jpg

Your wood is much darker than my buddies  <munch>

I've been getting that from you alot lately...  <lmao>

I am looking at that Sig, brother - closely.  Once I see one face-to-face, it'll be a difficult decision.  Well, costly.  I already know how "difficult" it will be...  <laughs>

This might seem random, but it's an answer to a question from Drew...  8)

SuperBowljump.jpg

Teaser pic until I can get some vids loaded up... 

were you with DNP?

Yeah, brother!!!  For a whole week!!!  ;D  <thumbsup>  We planned it all out that way - hell of a great vacation, too.  I needed it. 

Here's a vid from that jump - I'll try to get the helmet-cam stuff cut up into smaller vids.  Ignore my kid in this one - he's a dork...

th_SMOV0004.jpg

Kinda hard to immediately commit to keeping it pinned in 3rd gear right off the top of a 100-foot hill that you can't see over...  <laughs>

I worked up to that, and it was in the clip - last time I hit it.  By the next day, the high winds had completely changed that whole takeoff.  It would have been suicide to try to go out there and do the exact same thing right off - and that gets alot of people out there.  The dunes can change daily.  :o

I'm jealous. After we get hitched heather and I are getting back into it. I think I'll try to find her a used sv650 for her first bike.  She took the safety course and got her license after one ride on the rc. As for me, check out the January Cycle World, they really did the s1000rr, and the new sexy panigale.

The stock Ruger mags for this rifle are designed by Accuracy International, but made by Accurate Mag.  The things are $70 MSRP from Ruger...  :o

Well, Ruger is making polymer mags for it, much cheaper than the steel mags - $40 for the 10-rounders.  I just ordered two of them, so I'll put up a quick review once they get here.  <thumbsup>

90355_L.jpg

Finally got my polymer mags in from ShopRuger - the day after I shot this for the second time...  >:(  The stock mag is called the "ELEVEN round mag" by several people - you can get 11 in there and seat it easily.  Now, these poly mags are a different story - they're shorter than the steel Accurate Mag by a good bit, and getting 10 rounds in them can be a chore (so far, unshot).  Locking that mag into the magwell is tough, too.  The first 9 rounds go right in there, very easily, but that 10th one is fun.  Locking into the magwell on a closed bolt is fun, too...  ???  At any rate, I like them already, even over the Accurate Mag that comes with the rifle.

Here's the details of the two shooting sessions, since this has only been posted in the Range Pics thread so far.

Okay, got out to the range about 2:30pm today, and they close at 5pm.  Overcast, no good vis on the longer distance targets (out to 550 yards), but everything up to 250 was easily visible.  That comes into play later...

Had to zero the 5.56 Woody and the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle today.  The Woody is all completely irons, but the Scout is a mini red dot.

Both guns, being brand new and never shot, we initially shot at 25 yards.  I went to 50 yards after that, since it was a short day.  I'm thinking right now that I like having the Scout set up like it is - with the red dot and a zero that will go from 50 yards to 250 yards. 

The Scout:

100_0168.jpg

Here's the 25 yard target for the Scout - this rifle will very quickly become my favorite rifle, too.  What a load of fun, and practical use.  Talk about a brush gun from hell!  I love it already...  ;D  First shot group at 25 is 5 rounds - those things were stacked, and I had the sight set on lower power to make the dot smaller and more precise.  I was surprised at that group, even though it was 25 yards with a red dot. After the first group, I only did two round strings, then adjusted:

11DecScout25yards.jpg

From that point, I went to the 50 yard target, shot 5, and checked it - looks like 4 holes, but there were 5 shots, and I didn't miss.  These were fired as fast as I could work the action and get the red dot back on target:

11DecScout50yards.jpg

I left it right there, and started shooting the targets at 150, 200, and 250.  Ringing the larger steel targets with regularity.  <thumbsup>

The Scout is something else - what a fun gun.  I'd take that thing anywhere, just as it is.  I planned to put a long-eye-relief Burris pistol scope on it, but I might just leave it like this.  One thing I WILL do is pick up a Spike's .308 Dynacomp and mount that on the end of the barrel, just to see what it does.  This is the perfect bolt gun to suppress, I'm thinking.  :o <laughs>

Took the Scout back out today, and checked everything out at 100 yards.

Federal 150gr soft-points today.  100 yards.  Red dot.  I'll take this all day long at 100 with a red dot.  <thumbsup>  Shot it out to 400, and had the hits on steel, with some holdover.  Shot at the 500 and 550, and got close, but I wouldn't make a hunting shot at those ranges with the red dot, like it is now.  I was surprised at how it did out to 400, though - I'd make that hunting shot with it. 

I flung one out there, to the left...  <dontknow>

11D14Decscout100yards.jpg