• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wilson 7.62X40 mag capacity

Jgun

In the interview with Kevin Brittingham posted in the 300BLK section, he makes remarks in reference to the 7.62X40 Wilson cartridge. Specifically, he mentions the issue of needing modified magazines for the cartridge (which I had already heard), but he states that the Wilson cartridge doesn't allow the same number of rds as 5.56, as the 300BLK does. I have not verified this yet, and don't see why that should be the case, since all 3 share the same parent case, but I intend to give Wilson a call to follow up on this. If true, that would definitely be a deal breaker for anyone (like myself) thinking of trying the Wilson for 3 gun competition. Any other members know anything about this?

I can't see that the 300 Whisper, the 300 AAC Blackout or the 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical can differ much... if at all. They all come from cut .223 (or 5.56x45 NATO). I really don't see how the 7.62x40 WT isn't more popular. It would seem you could play with loads a lot more?

If just one of these cartridges would hit a mainstream 123-125 grain super sonic bullet, I would be sold. I have my .308 shooter, and I have my .223 plinker, but I need my hybrid combat machine!

Based on my experiences loading 300BLK, I believe that it should be possible to load 7.62X40 with 125gr projectiles and still fit withing the front to back dimensions of an unmodified Pmag (but this is not proven yet). I have already loaded 145gr bullets in 300BLK cases and gotten 2400 fps out of it, I think it is a given that you can load 125gr supersonic in both 300BLK and 7.62X40 Wilson, in fact they now have the 125gr 300BLK Sierra Match kings available  in an elongated shape to get the ogive of the rd closer to the lead for greater accuracy. As far as factory ammo is concerned, if 125 supersonc is not already out there I'd say it's only a matter of time until it is.

Midways got them listed for $35 per 100. If I get the fps I'm looking for out of the Speer TNT 125 loads I'm planning to test this week, I'll order some of the 300BLK 125 SMK's to see if I notice any accuracy advantage when using the more expensive SMK's over the TNT's.

• 11 months later...

Ogive.  Curve of the bullet, in a case that's 5mm longer than the 300BLK.  Look down into a loaded (with 5.56) 5.56 mag - see those ribs at the front?  Ogive on the .308 projo, loaded into a 40mm case, can hit the ribs, and reduce capacity.

Here's some 5.56 to give you a visual:

Lancer-AWM-AR-Magwell.jpg

In a side-by-side look, you can see where the issue will be:

762x40-comparison.jpg

Ribbed mag next to a de-ribbed mag:

bngf036.jpg

Loaded ribbed mag next to a loaded de-ribbed mag:

bngf042.jpg