• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JD Machine PR 3

DNP

Thanks for creating the JD section Drew.

So, I went to the local gun shop to pick up a couple KD 5.56 lowers and sitting in the display case with them was a matched upper/lower JD .308.  Bought on impulse with absolutely no knowledge of the .308 world...couldn't resist.  It was just too pretty.

So far I have only gathered a few pieces.

JD Receiver

BCM Gunfighter charging handle with the MOD 4 medium latch

DPMS Chrome carrier w/phosphate bolt

Getting ready for a whole bunch of online purchases.  I'll try to snap photos piece by piece as they come in starting this weekend.  Here's a shot or two of it right after it came home.

post-91-136297263314_thumb.jpg

post-91-136297263318_thumb.jpg

post-91-13629726332_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, so far I've done some pretty serious damage to the credit card today.  My wife's gonna drop when the statement comes :o

Picked up all the small parts to finish out the upper/lower.  Barrel, gas tube, carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer, hand guard and a barrel nut wrench.  Still surfing for a few parts.

Gas Block in .936  (recommendations appreciated)

Grip

Comp/flash hider

Stock

I think that'll wrap her up. <munch>  Just be waitin' on the big brown truck...wearing a path in the floor by the front window.

lol I know what you mean DNP, I just got back home from the Wanenmacher gun show and I broke the bank.  Powder (Varget), a sling mount for my rail, some reloading equipment, bullets to reload, primers, a steel target, an EAA Witness .40, and there was soooooo much more that I wanted :'(  Walked up to a booth n started talking to a guy about my rifle that I was carrying n pretty soon he asks "you aren't pantherplayer are you?" lol it was Bandit!! great times there.  As far as your stock goes, I can't help but suggest getting a Magpul PRS from Botach Defence at their member price.  Even if you get it and decide you don't like it I promise you will be able to sell it for more than you pay for it.  The gas block will depend on if you want a 4-rail, top rail, low-pro, or another variant; and what you want to attach to it.  I would suggest not much since it weighs directly on your barrel.  Well there's my two cents....I don't know that I can afford giving it away right now but there it is ;D

Dustin

I have a line on the PRS for a little less than BD member price. 

But I'm going to go with the UBR for a pretty fair price too.  If I decide I don't like it on the 308, I'll pull it off and save it for one of the two 5.56 builds that have to happen when this one gets done.  (been drooling over .458's lately)  Granted, that's if I live through the domestic battle I'm brewing right now.  She thought my photography hobby was expensive....ha!

I went with a 16" barrel for this build.  Not so much to stay light, but to have a little shorter gun to drag around when hunting.  I'm almost debating calling back and changing the order to a 18.5", but we'll see how it goes.  Maybe I'll just set this one up and sell it if I'm not happy.  For the gas block, I would prefer it without the rail.  There's not a lot of choices out there from what I've found so I'm pretty sure I know what I'll wind up with.  I was looking for something with a little style to it as it will definitely be exposed. 

Sounds Like DSG an BD are pretty similar on their member pricing.  Stuck with the 16.  It's gonna be pretty slick I think.  I should have most of the parts next week...might be a few extra days on the UBR as it's being shipped to a good friend and then forwarded to me.  Might even have a few days off work next week due to rain, so that'll give me a good chance to play around with the parts.  Man I'm getting anxious. 

Edit to address trigger---

I'm not sure yet.  Really considering sending mine off to Bill Springfield, trying it out and if I don't like it...explore the options after that.  I'm already a little over 2500 into the gun, and might break the 3k point if I continue down the path I think I'm on (and this is before optics)....so, we'll see when I run out of plastic :D

I felt a little ill when I added up what mine cost. I pretty sure my rifle came in at around $3000. Fortunately a friend hooked me up with a Leupold scope at cost and saved me several hundred dollars.

You know its a sickness when you drop off $200 on a scope mount and $300 for a trigger and you dont even bat an eye.

I'm kicking myself a little over the hand guard right now.  I spent twice as much as I needed to, and for no real benefit.  We'll see what I think once it comes in.  It doesn't help that I bought the receiver on impulse with no idea on 308 pricing and over paid by probably a good $200...oh well, can't turn back now.  Just want to get out and shoot this thing soon.  Maybe I won't feel so bad after a few magazines through it ;D

Gotta find the right place to get my little BS part to make this thing "CA Legal".  Need to figure out what the best magazine lock is.  A lot of guys like the bullet button, but I want to know which one gets the highest approval from LE so I don't find myself with a problem should I ever get stopped with it.  The thing I fear most is getting in enough trouble that I won't be able to buy any more guns in the future.  "CA Legal" is still an iffy term with these guns.  Nothing is official and personally I think the bullet button makes a weak case for "fixed magazine", but hey...they're being built and sold all over CA right now so we'll see how this goes.

CalGuns has a lot of that info.  There was a letter from the DA explaining the current stand on them as well as encouraging LE to "double check" that no more than ten rounds can go into the mag before citing someone for having a modified 20 or 30 rd mag.  As long as the block can be considered permanent its GTG.  I need to search up as many of those letters as I can find as well as some other legal info and make a few packets to stash in the gun case, the truck...just have on file.  I might be flying with this rifle this Fall and I'm a little concerned about the trip.  Considering shipping the rifle to my destination and picking it up when I get there.

I've been thinking about a .458 after this one, but the Mag capacity issue worries me.  The guns take unmodified mags and you can fit 7 rounds of 458 in a 20rd 5.56 mag.  So, would it be legal for me to have these mags in my possession?  I sure as hell wouldn't go anywhere with the two guns together.  On one hand it's a 7 rounder....but will they see it that way?

Big Brown Truck came today.  Got my order in from Fulton! :banana:

Barrel, LPK, FA, Ejection port bits and pieces, buffer and spring, gas tube and pin are now added to the pile.  Supposed to get a day off work due to rain here in a few...so I'll grab some pics then.  Still might be sending the barrel out to ADCO...but I have some measurements to make first to help decide.

Wish I could get the gas block I want in a .936.  I wonder if I can con some friends into machining a one-off for me???? <dontknow>

Box-o-stuff from PRI showed up today.  Still waiting for a good chance to turn the living room into a studio.  Kinda hoping all the parts show up soon so I can get to doing some shooting of a quieter kind <thumbsup>

Still waiting on the gas block, stock, grip, flash hider, mags, bullet button.  Most of which I just got shipping confirmation on today.  Waiting sucks ;D

Thats it. You are the official staff photographer.

Dude, I SAID that already...  The whole "my buddy is a professional race photographer" thing...  I know you remember this - DNP is THAT GUY...  <thumbsup>

One of my very best friends is a professional race photographer, and hits the dunes with us regularly.  He also owns a .308 AR (JD Machine upper and lower), and he's a lurker here as far as I can tell - maybe I'll draw him out with this...  ;D  He took this pic last T-Day:

250RLittleRoost.jpg