• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wilson Combat Barrel/BCG

MaineMan2

I’m building a “light weight” 308 AR starting with Wilson Combat’s 16” Ranger barrel (32.4 oz.) It has their “intermediate” length gas system, so I know I have to get their intermediate length gas tube. Going to use their lo profile gas block too just to reduce the risk of compatibility issues. 

My first 308 AR build was successful using a Fulton Armory barrel and bolt in an Aero Precision BCG.  However, I did have to send the barrel back to FA because their bolt wouldn’t close on 2 different GO headspace gauges. I paid shipping and they reamed the chamber a thousandth+ more and re-polished it.

I’m going to use upper and lower receivers from Aero Precision again because they worked well and I now know about the little quirks there. Rifle buffer tube, spring and buffer  

Aero Precision BCG weighs 18.24 oz.
Wilson Combat BCG weighs 18.6 oz.  
CMC 308 AR BCG weighs 18.4 oz. 

AR Stoner BCG 17.7 oz.

and Faxon has an “OEM overrun” BCG at 18.7 oz.

Here is my question: should I get the Aero Precision BCG or am I better off with the Wilson because that’s where the barrel is coming from as well? Wilson doesn’t sell 308 AR bolts separately.  Cost is $290 for Wilson vs $230 for AP.  I listed those weight differences because AP seems to be at the bottom of the range and Wilson near the top - 0.36 ounces doesn’t seem like enough weight to make a difference but …

• 3 weeks later...

I've built two (mostly) Wilson Combat .308 ARs and on the second one the barrel would close on a no-go gauge - with two Wilson Combat BCGs! Thread about it here.  They took it back no problem, but my perception of "buy it all from WC so it will work right" is gone. On the first build I had all sorts of problems, too. 

I guess my point is that I don't have much confidence that a WC BCG is needed for a WC barrel. 

Edited by LevelHead

5 hours ago, LevelHead said:

I've built two (mostly) Wilson Combat .308 ARs and on the second one the barrel would close on a no-go gauge - with two Wilson Combat BCGs! Thread about it here.  They took it back no problem, but my perception of "buy it all from WC so it will work right" is gone. On the first build I had all sorts of problems, too. 

I guess my point is that I don't have much confidence that a WC BCG is needed for a WC barrel. 

Ha! Read  THIS THREAD 

for fun and games with headspac

Not all headspace gauges are the same, either.  Many headspace gauge manufacturers vary by a thou here or there, over the specific caliber that they make. 

When checking headspace on a manufacturers barrel, and bolt - it's best to call them and ask what gauges they use to check their own headspace, if your gauges fail a bolt/barrel combo.

If you're not using THEIR bolt in their barrel - they don't have to tell you shiit.  Harsh reality, but it's a true reality.  They have no liability outside of their own parts. 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Not all headspace gauges are the same, either.  Many headspace gauge manufacturers vary by a thou here or there, over the specific caliber that they make. 

When checking headspace on a manufacturers barrel, and bolt - it's best to call them and ask what gauges they use to check their own headspace, if your gauges fail a bolt/barrel combo.

If you're not using THEIR bolt in their barrel - they don't have to tell you shiit.  Harsh reality, but it's a true reality.  They have no liability outside of their own parts. 

Good points!  When I was sorting things out with Fulton Armory, the guy there told me that they used only Forster headspace gauges and my testing with a Clymer gauge didn’t matte - so I bought Forster gauges too. I can tell you from direct experience that my Clymer GO gauge is a tiny bit longer than my Forster. I can’t remember which was which but the NO GO gauges are different too. 

Rex is right - you can have variances in reamers, in barrel extensions and in bolts. I’ve never had a headspace problem with an AR-15 but these 308 beasties…

1 hour ago, MaineMan2 said:

Rex is right - you can have variances in reamers, in barrel extensions and in bolts.

And, you can have a variance in the gauges, too - which was my whole point.  Its all tolerance stacking. Compounding.

THen, all the sudden, your gun doesn't work, and nobody can figure it all out...   Hmmm...  Seen this here before.