• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stock ammo/Reloads for Matches....

EdMP3006

9 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Yeah , That's what i mean it is a slight decrease in speed.

Overall speed isn't what helps - mass in motion, with a high BC, is what helps at distance.  Heavier projectiles are always flatter shooting, if you go to the right distances to try that out.  Shoot a 3100fps 55gr 5.56 (M193) projectile at 450 yards, and shoot a 75 or 77 gr projectile moving 2750fps at 450 yards - see which one has less drop at distance.  You'd have one hell of a time even getting a 55gr-er to 850 yards, but a 75 or 77 will do that distance with ease. 

For the Win Mag projectiles you listed, the only one that stands a chance of getting to the Mile is the 210.  The others listed don't even stand a chance, no matter how fast that they can be safely made to load.  Overall Speed isn't what matters.  Mass in Motion, with enough speed, and a high BC - that matters.

Edited by 98Z5V

Projectiles are constrained to the diameter they are - the caliber.  The heavier a projectile is - it still has to have the same diameter - it's gonna be longer.  If it's longer, it's gonna have a higher BC, both G1 Drag Models, and G7.  No other way around that.

The anomalies in that are Barnes solid copper projectiles.  The Barnes 70 TSX projectile (5.56, .224" diameter) that 70gr projectile is longer than a 77 SMK or a 75 Hornady HPBT.  Weird.  And it works wonderfully. 

Barnes 70 TSX length - 1.037"

Hornady 75 HPBT Match length = 0.981"

Sierra 77 SMK length = 0.994"

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Projectiles are constrained to the diameter they are - the caliber.  The heavier a projectile is - it still has to have the same diameter - it's gonna be longer.  If it's longer, it's gonna have a higher BC, both G1 Drag Models, and G7.  No other way around that.

The anomalies in that are Barnes solid copper projectiles.  The Barnes 70 TSX projectile (5.56, .224" diameter) that 70gr projectile is longer than a 77 SMK or a 75 Hornady HPBT.  Weird.  And it works wonderfully. 

Barnes 70 TSX length - 1.037"

Hornady 75 HPBT Match length = 0.981"

Sierra 77 SMK length = 0.994"

I have the Hornady and the Sierra. Didn't buy the Barnes 70TSX. 

Also got a Sierra 80gr don't remember the model number.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Overall speed isn't what helps - mass in motion, with a high BC, is what helps at distance.  Heavier projectiles are always flatter shooting, if you go to the right distances to try that out.  Shoot a 3100fps 55gr 5.56 (M193) projectile at 450 yards, and shoot a 75 or 77 gr projectile moving 2750fps at 450 yards - see which one has less drop at distance.  You'd have one hell of a time even getting a 55gr-er to 850 yards, but a 75 or 77 will do that distance with ease. 

For the Win Mag projectiles you listed, the only one that stands a chance of getting to the Mile is the 210.  The others listed don't even stand a chance, no matter how fast that they can be safely made to load.  Overall Speed isn't what matters.  Mass in Motion, with enough speed, and a high BC - that matters.

I get the math stuff. 

I just haven't shot past 1350 , 4 out of 20 was not to good. Had to walk my way up to the target. Those were the $68 180gr Black Hill factory rounds.

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

When did you shoot 1350?  That's 3/4 mile.  What gun was it?

At one of the shoots , the time Rob brought the XL 338 gun. I used my AR-300WSM . Had to keep dialing way above the target only to drop 5 yards short or more. Wasted 12 to 14 rounds just to hit it.  Can't blame the equipment , used a $1000 scope. You shot that gun its awesome. Black Hills Ammo is good. Wasn't much wind, either that was the max distance of the ammo or i just suck !

Note that at 1150 i hit it with the LR308 and the AR300WSM in just a few shots.

Awesome to hear that you're picking up the matches again with your .308. As for ammo, it depends on the match you'll be shooting. Knowing the details will make it easier for us to recommend what might work best for you. Personally, I shoot an Accurized AR Match and usually go with 5.56, but I've also dabbled in 6 ARC and .260 Rem. It's all about pushing the limits and finding what works for you and your setup. Walker Outdoors has covered you if you're looking for reloading supplies. They have a wide range of gear and accessories, and their website (walkeroutdoors.net) has all the info you need.

Edited by JasminMurray

On 1/17/2023 at 9:42 PM, 98Z5V said:

I shoot an Accurized AR Match monthly.  All gas guns, only.  Nothing shorter than 200, precision targets (small targets) at the shorter ranges, and it goes out to usually 660 yards, full sized IPSC plates or 18" diameter targets out there.  We had one at 710 yards, one time in the last 1.5 years.  I usually shoot 5.56 on these, but I've shot the 6 ARC once, .260 Rem a couple times, etc. 

I stated this several weeks ago.  Then, this happened...

17 hours ago, JasminMurray said:

Awesome to hear that you're picking up the matches again with your .308. As for ammo, it depends on the match you'll be shooting. Knowing the details will make it easier for us to recommend what might work best for you. Personally, I shoot an Accurized AR Match and usually go with 5.56, but I've also dabbled in 6 ARC and .260 Rem. It's all about pushing the limits and finding what works for you and your setup. Walker Outdoors has covered you if you're looking for reloading supplies. They have a wide range of gear and accessories, and their website (walkeroutdoors.net) has all the info you need.

You, @JasminMurray, are either a fucking bot, or you're really dumb, and just repeat shiit that you see, to pimp your gunstore (walkeroutdoors.net).  So, fuk off, get lost, or just don't post anymore.  You are of no use here, you're worthless, besides pimping product, and a certain store, and it's not warranted here. 

Somebody ban this fucker.

• 4 weeks later...