• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stock ammo/Reloads for Matches....

EdMP3006

Hey guys, finally decided to pull my .308 out of the safe and use it for what I had originally intended it for, to shoot some matches.

Are you guys using stock ammo or reloading your own?

If you're reloading, what grain bullets are you using? I did find some Lapua 155gr Scenars and some Lapua D46's sitting on my safe...

Not using that scope/rings, have another scope and cantilever mount on order...

I have some ammo on hand of various brands, but from what I remember, it didn't like the Hornady Superformance 178gr...I think it was piercing the primers...here's some pics...

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

12 hours ago, EdMP3006 said:
Hey guys, finally decided to pull my .308 out of the safe and use it for what I had originally intended it for, to shoot some matches.

Are you guys using stock ammo or reloading your own?

If you're reloading, what grain bullets are you using? I did find some Lapua 155gr Scenars and some Lapua D46's sitting on my safe...

MAN!!!   You've been gone for WAY TOO LONG!!!  Welcome back around, Ed!

First, what kind of matches are you shooting - that's gonna determine where you go on the ammo selection.  That one thing.  Describe the matches that you're shooting.

I shoot an Accurized AR Match monthly.  All gas guns, only.  Nothing shorter than 200, precision targets (small targets) at the shorter ranges, and it goes out to usually 660 yards, full sized IPSC plates or 18" diameter targets out there.  We had one at 710 yards, one time in the last 1.5 years.  I usually shoot 5.56 on these, but I've shot the 6 ARC once, .260 Rem a couple times, etc.  The 5.56 can handle this match, so that's what I've fallen to, generally.  It's usually the Mk12 Mod 1, but a couple months ago, I switched it up to the 16" 5.56 precision gun, and it did well.  In the future, it'll probably be the 12.5" Grendel that makes it out there.  It's all in making it harder on yourself, and stretching the gun to it's limits. 

Describe the match that you'll be shooting, man - that's gonna make ammo selection easier to recommend.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

MAN!!!   You've been gone for WAY TOO LONG!!!  Welcome back around, Ed!

First, what kind of matches are you shooting - that's gonna determine where you go on the ammo selection.  That one thing.  Describe the matches that you're shooting.

I shoot an Accurized AR Match monthly.  All gas guns, only.  Nothing shorter than 200, precision targets (small targets) at the shorter ranges, and it goes out to usually 660 yards, full sized IPSC plates or 18" diameter targets out there.  We had one at 710 yards, one time in the last 1.5 years.  I usually shoot 5.56 on these, but I've shot the 6 ARC once, .260 Rem a couple times, etc.  The 5.56 can handle this match, so that's what I've fallen to, generally.  It's usually the Mk12 Mod 1, but a couple months ago, I switched it up to the 16" 5.56 precision gun, and it did well.  In the future, it'll probably be the 12.5" Grendel that makes it out there.  It's all in making it harder on yourself, and stretching the gun to it's limits. 

Describe the match that you'll be shooting, man - that's gonna make ammo selection easier to recommend.

Thanks man, it has been awhile...life and such...

I wish I could tell you what kinda matches I was shooting...last match I shot in was a PRS match a few years ago using my 6 Creedmoor bolt gun.......however, PRS does have a Gas Gun Division and if I remember correctly, the targets are between 200 to 700 or 800 yards. Some stages are positional and others are one position, typically prone.

I did pick up 3 stripped AERO AR15 lowers last year, mainly 2 for me and 1 for my daughter, atleast for when she gets a bit older...:D

Doubt it matters much, but I'm in Maryland and there's not alot going on in this state as far as distance matches go...there is the Mason Dixon Precision Rifle Series, that goes between Maryland and Pennslyvania, but I've never been able to snag a spot when the registration opens up...

So I guess to sum up, I'm looking for a match style that I can tailor the gun to...

6 minutes ago, JasminMurray said:

Hey there! Good to hear you're getting your .308 out for some matches. I personally reload all of my ammo, it saves money in the long run and you can really fine tune your loads for your specific rifle.

No stranger to reloading, I have an 6mm Creedmoor bolt gun too

19 hours ago, JasminMurray said:

Hey there! Good to hear you're getting your .308 out for some matches. I personally reload all of my ammo, it saves money in the long run and you can really fine tune your loads for your specific rifle.

As for bullets, I usually stick with the Sierra MatchKing 175gr for my .308. As for sources, I usually get all of my reloading supplies and some of my factory ammo from https://midcitygunshop.com/product/44-40-winchester-ammo-for-sale/. They have great prices and a wide selection. Good luck with your matches!

Edited by JasminMurray

14 hours ago, JasminMurray said:

As for bullets, I usually stick with the Sierra MatchKing 175gr for my .308. As for sources, I usually get all of my reloading supplies and some of my factory ammo from https://midcitygunshop.com/product/44-40-winchester-ammo-for-sale/. They have great prices and a wide selection. Good luck with your matches!

Who are you, and what are you linking?  Why is this at the bottom of the page you're linking?:

midcityguns.thumb.png.1340fbf42720e69699e38f3d818704e6.png

On 1/18/2023 at 6:54 AM, EdMP3006 said:

however, PRS does have a Gas Gun Division and if I remember correctly, the targets are between 200 to 700 or 800 yards.

That sounds good, Ed.  I used Hornady 175gr HPBTs for a very, very long time.  About 3 years ago, I switched to the Hornady 178gr ELD-X projectiles.  The BC is so much better on them, over the 175s - better enough, to make me switch. 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:39 PM, 98Z5V said:

Who are you, and what are you linking?  Why is this at the bottom of the page you're linking?:

midcityguns.thumb.png.1340fbf42720e69699e38f3d818704e6.png

Also curious 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:43 PM, 98Z5V said:

@shepp, this place is in Janesville.  If this the place that kept getting broken into, and guns stolen?

No that dumb fuck went outta business, from what I’ve heard mid city has been good and they’re right down the road from the titty bar

****edit I follow them on Facebook and actually been meaning to get in there, but I don’t get that side of town often. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That sounds good, Ed.  I used Hornady 175gr HPBTs for a very, very long time.  About 3 years ago, I switched to the Hornady 178gr ELD-X projectiles.  The BC is so much better on them, over the 175s - better enough, to make me switch. 

I'll have to check out the ELD-X's.....damn shame you can't buy like a sample pack of the actual bullets you want to try out...that would be pretty awesome!

3 minutes ago, Sisco said:

I don’t shoot matches, but I like fiddling with reloads. I generally use 175 Gr Sierra Match King BTHP’s, although at 98Z’s recommendation I switched to Hornady 178 gr ELD-X and have had excellent results with them, especially in my M1A1.

I'm actually gonna make up a list of recommended bullets/weights and probably buy a box of each to see how they perform...

Well, not much of a choice anymore, looks like.  It's been several years since I used the 175s, but they're not even listed anymore.  I probably still have a box of them around here somewhere, to get the data from, but I'm pretty sure they were a .505 G1 BC. 

The new stuff blows that away.  The ELD-Match is a .547 G1, but the ELD-X is a .552 G1.  Now, there's just a 178 Match with a .530 G1, which is what probably replaced the 175 Match.  When I used the 175s, They came out with the 178 Match, and I made the switch, because of the BC improvement from .505 to .530.  Years of use.  When they announced the 178 ELD-Match, I almost switch immedately, but I had several hundred 178 Matches to burn through first.  By that time, they introduced the 178 ELD-X, and I did switch immediately.  The jump from the .530 to the .552 was a difference you could see at 850 yards - the dope charts were different.  Click it, it gets bigger...

1989147628_Hornady178s.thumb.png.377785f50acd8af93942d1a469ef98f8.png

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Play with this a minute. The 178gr ELD is basically a 300 winmag projectile. So with a max load 308 case ( crunch) has the velocity a bit slower than the 175gr ELD ?? Also  less case volume.

Just a thought 🤔 !

So your are saying, the cD of the projectile out performs the added 3grains of weight and produces a flatter flight.

9 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Play with this a minute. The 178gr ELD is basically a 300 winmag projectile. So with a max load 308 case ( crunch) has the velocity a bit slower than the 175gr ELD ?? Also  less case volume.

Just a thought 🤔 !

So your are saying, the cD of the projectile out performs the added 3grains of weight and produces a flatter flight.

Been running the 178 ELD-X for 2 years now.  It really does outperform the other projectiles.  By far.  It's the very best thing you can buy to shoot .308 Win at longer distances.  By far.  The big bonus with it is - it's an expanding projectile.  Hunt that thing.  Develop the load for it, and it's the best target load you'll find.  Plus, it expands.  It's the best of all projectile worlds, with a better shape, and best BC they can make, and still fit it inside a 2.800 COL, to fit in a magazine.  What's not to like?

FWIW - I think .300 Win Mag projectiles shouldn't weigh any less than 220 grains...  

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Been running the 178 ELD-X for 2 years now.  It really does outperform the other projectiles.  By far.  It's the very best thing you can buy to shoot .308 Win at longer distances.  By far.  The big bonus with it is - it's an expanding projectile.  Hunt that thing.  Develop the load for it, and it's the best target load you'll find.  Plus, it expands.  It's the best of all projectile worlds, with a better shape, and best BC they can make, and still fit it inside a 2.800 COL, to fit in a magazine.  What's not to like?

FWIW - I think .300 Win Mag projectiles shouldn't weigh any less than 220 grains...  

Ok... Biggest concern is the volume which is reduced by the longer projectiles. Bought some SMK's and the new plastic tipped ones in 175gr. My reloading is on hold for a minute but i am still buying components. Powders are back but the prices are up. (Like $51.99 on some powders)

7 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Ok... Biggest concern is the volume which is reduced by the longer projectiles. Bought some SMK's and the new plastic tipped ones in 175gr. My reloading is on hold for a minute but i am still buying components. Powders are back but the prices are up. (Like $51.99 on some powders)

Not a concern, brother, not in the least.  My Mk11 Mod 0 gun is 18.5" barrel, speed is 2530fps, with the 178 ELD-X projectile.  It's all Lake City .308 Win brass that I got from @dpete.  When I reload it, I use CCI 200 primers, Accurate 2495 powder, at 40.6 gr charge weight.  Set the COL at 2.795", crimp it, and run it.  2530fps is pretty respectable with that heavy of a projectile, through an 18.5" barrel. 

Now, the .300 Win Mag is a Rem 700 factory heavy barrel, 26", running a Hornady 225gr ELD-M projectile.  Literally, whatever brass.  CCI 250 primer, 3.340" COL, 71.8gr of Alliant RL-22.  It's cruising 2932fps through the chrono.  That's HAULING ASS.  With a zero at 500 yards, it's a dial to 16.9 mils for a mile, the 1760yd target.

Shiit, man - I have some 195gr Hornady ELD-Ms loaded up - a bag full - that are in .308 Win cases.  They work great. 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Not a concern, brother, not in the least.  My Mk11 Mod 0 gun is 18.5" barrel, speed is 2530fps, with the 178 ELD-X projectile.  It's all Lake City .308 Win brass that I got from @dpete.  When I reload it, I use CCI 200 primers, Accurate 2495 powder, at 40.6 gr charge weight.  Set the COL at 2.795", crimp it, and run it.  2530fps is pretty respectable with that heavy of a projectile, through an 18.5" barrel. 

Now, the .300 Win Mag is a Rem 700 factory heavy barrel, 26", running a Hornady 225gr ELD-M projectile.  Literally, whatever brass.  CCI 250 primer, 3.340" COL, 71.8gr of Alliant RL-22.  It's cruising 2932fps through the chrono.  That's HAULING ASS.  With a zero at 500 yards, it's a dial to 16.9 mils for a mile, the 1760yd target.

Yeah , That's what i mean it is a slight decrease in speed. But if its flatter and flies straighter well i guess it worth a try... I have those 175gr SMKs to use first.

On the 300wm / 300WSM i have only used the 168gr , 175gr , 200gr and 210gr projectiles.