• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help built new ar10.

Zach2000

So basically I just built a new ar10, didn’t clean anything particularly well but lubbed up everything well. Rifle doesn’t chamber fully when using charging handle, one in every 10 or so gets lucky and chambers and fires but does not extract, rifle chambers if using bolt release and fires but doesn’t extract/rechamber. Have tried every gas setting in the book for rechambers nothing works. Parts list below.

wilson combat billet upper

wilson combat billet lower

wilson combat lower parts kit

wilson combat 16” barrel intermediate 

geiselle sde

sentry 7 gas block  

current bcg is an aero nickel boron, waiting on Lantac enhanced 

sls stock

k2+ grip

wilson combat 14.6 rail

jp enterprises carbine tube

jp enterprises scs ar10 standard (not the h2)( using the red/yellow spring)(heaviest spring but have 2 lighter ones I can try)

1 hour ago, Zach2000 said:

So basically I just built a new ar10, didn’t clean anything particularly well but lubbed up everything well. Rifle doesn’t chamber fully when using charging handle, one in every 10 or so gets lucky and chambers and fires but does not extract, rifle chambers if using bolt release and fires but doesn’t extract/rechamber. Have tried every gas setting in the book for rechambers nothing works. Parts list below.

wilson combat billet upper

wilson combat billet lower

wilson combat lower parts kit

wilson combat 16” barrel intermediate 

geiselle sde

sentry 7 gas block  

current bcg is an aero nickel boron, waiting on Lantac enhanced 

sls stock

k2+ grip

wilson combat 14.6 rail

jp enterprises carbine tube

jp enterprises scs ar10 standard (not the h2)( using the red/yellow spring)(heaviest spring but have 2 lighter ones I can try)

With the shiit you have going on, you need to read this thread very first, and comply with every single detail that it requests. 

This is the only way we go forward.  There is no other way to help you, unless you do this.  Read this, soak it in, understand it - then make your reply.  Here it is:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

With the shiit you have going on, you need to read this thread very first, and comply with every single detail that it requests. 

This is the only way we go forward.  There is no other way to help you, unless you do this.  Read this, soak it in, understand it - then make your reply.  Here it is:

Will update this evening when I make it home. By this you mean send pics of each individual part? Last night After I posted I very very thoroughly cleaned the barrel/chamber/feed ramps then oiled said ramps and my rifle chambered every single time I charged it but being in my living room I couldn’t test fire at 3 am. Will post pictures asap.

3 hours ago, Zach2000 said:

Do I need to purchase a scale while I’m out to show weights? Or will posted weights of individual parts on the manufacturers website suffice? 

The important weight is the buffer.  Just get a pic of it, and it's length.  Manufacturers commonly don't list correct weights.

45 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

In my case I just measure the weights added themselves right? Not the entire buffer system unit?

Nope, just a picture of the buffer next to a tape measure, in order to see the OAL.  We can figure out the buffer body material, and determine how much it should weigh, based on that.

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Nope, just a picture of the buffer next to a tape measure, in order to see the OAL.  We can figure out the buffer body material, and determine how much it should weigh, based on that.

That’s what I mean, I use the jp enterprise silent capture spring, so should I just take measurements of the weights in the system itself un contained or the entire unit which is the weights, springs, guide rod all together. 

2 hours ago, Zach2000 said:

That’s what I mean, I use the jp enterprise silent capture spring, so should I just take measurements of the weights in the system itself un contained or the entire unit which is the weights, springs, guide rod all together. 

In that case, just a picture of the JP part number.  We can look it up and see what it's supposed to replicate.

Wilson Combat will put out some tight chambers, I've polished a couple to solve the sticky issue, had to cherry pick a bolt to fit for one as well, have you checked headspace? Tried chambering a round with just the bolt and your fingers? 

SCS buffers show up pretty regular on the list of parts for guns having issues, that would be my next focus. 

For the record, I own 5 Wilson Combat barrels, and not one of them have a tight chamber.  That's 5 barrels over 4 different calibers.  Wilson Combat makes their barrels with their own Match Chamber, and it's where it needs to be. Match Chambers are definitely not loose chambers - they're tighter than a mass produced chamber, for a reason.  I've never had an issue with headspace from one of their barrels, and a Toolcraft bolt.  Not once.  

They don't have gas ports figured out, but that's easily solved.

That's my $0.02 on WC barrels - they're accurate as hell, true match barrels. 

50 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Wilson Combat will put out some tight chambers, I've polished a couple to solve the sticky issue, had to cherry pick a bolt to fit for one as well, have you checked headspace? Tried chambering a round with just the bolt and your fingers? 

SCS buffers show up pretty regular on the list of parts for guns having issues, that would be my next focus. 

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

For the record, I own 5 Wilson Combat barrels, and not one of them have a tight chamber.  That's 5 barrels over 4 different calibers.  Wilson Combat makes their barrels with their own Match Chamber, and it's where it needs to be. Match Chambers are definitely not loose chambers - they're tighter than a mass produced chamber, for a reason.  I've never had an issue with headspace from one of their barrels, and a Toolcraft bolt.  Not once.  

They don't have gas ports figured out, but that's easily solved.

That's my $0.02 on WC barrels - they're accurate as hell, true match barrels. 

Figured it was easier to respond to both, small emergency where I live so not able to post photos currently because there is a mass power outage and my cell service sucks. But truthfully have no idea how to check the headspace, this is however my 4th rifle built( first ar10) using Wilson barrels and they are phenomenal. I’ve not been able to go shoot it yet to verify rechambering but after a very thorough cleaning of the barrel and chamber and then lubing the chamber it’s initial chamber went 20/20 on a mag. So potentially could have just needed a good cleaning to get running. Will be able to shoot it tomorrow and update on that, the second my power comes back on I’ll post photos of all parts and serial numbers. 

I’m going to go on and post part numbers here for what input is available on that.

Buffer weight-JPSCS2-10   JP RIFLES

buffer spring- JPSCS-SPRING10-110: 1 side yellow and 1 side red  JP RIFLES

buffer tube- JPBT-CA      JP RIFLES

bcg- APRH100185C aero precision 

Barrel- TR-308RAIG16RT11.25 Wilson combat

Gas- SA7-SM. Sentry 7

7 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

I’m going to go on and post part numbers here for what input is available on that.

Buffer weight-JPSCS2-10   JP RIFLES

buffer spring- JPSCS-SPRING10-110: 1 side yellow and 1 side red  JP RIFLES

buffer tube- JPBT-CA      JP RIFLES

bcg- APRH100185C aero precision 

Barrel- TR-308RAIG16RT11.25 Wilson combat

Gas- SA7-SM. Sentry 7

Let's see how it runs.  There's a bunch of number that are off, but risk it - you paid for it.  Buffer weight should be 5.4oz, the list 5.0oz.  Least I've ever made run right was 5.15oz, for a buffer.  So, the expensive buffer is light.  Let's risk it and see what happens. 

JP is Complicating Shiit With Complicated Shiit, and this says it all right here:

The JPSCS2-10 is designed to work in standard 7-inch M16/M4-length buffer extension tubes on .308 AR-type rifles like the DPMS LR-308. Armalite .308 rifles, likewise, use these standard M16 extension tubes with rifle-length stocks, so this unit will function normally when installed with the supplied spacer. However, Armalite's .308 carbines use a slightly longer, non-standard carbine extension tube. The JPSCS2-10 can still be used with these extension tubes by installing the spacer, which must be modified to fit. Alternately, the system will function readily if the longer Armalite carbine tube is replaced with a standard 7-inch .223 carbine extension tube.

That's their own description of this part that you have.  It's ironic that they state the Armalite .308 carbine uses a slightly longer, NON-STANDARD extension tube...  I LMAO over that...  :lmao:  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension IS the standard, for .308ARs...   :laffs:

You're dabbling in Gamer-Gun shiit, with that recoil system -tailored for a certain load, certain gun, certain projectile speed - for matches, games, and playing around.  That's cool.  If you're a Gamer, and you use your gun for making money in competitions, against others, for determining hits on steel with major power factor, and less felt recoil.  You're using Race Gun parts to build your gun, that work for Race Guns.

What are you looking at from this gun?  what is your intent for this gun?  What are you gonna use it for, and what do you want it to do for you?

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Let's see how it runs.  There's a bunch of number that are off, but risk it - you paid for it.  Buffer weight should be 5.4oz, the list 5.0oz.  Least I've ever made run right was 5.15oz, for a buffer.  So, the expensive buffer is light.  Let's risk it and see what happens. 

JP is Complicating Shiit With Complicated Shiit, and this says it all right here:

The JPSCS2-10 is designed to work in standard 7-inch M16/M4-length buffer extension tubes on .308 AR-type rifles like the DPMS LR-308. Armalite .308 rifles, likewise, use these standard M16 extension tubes with rifle-length stocks, so this unit will function normally when installed with the supplied spacer. However, Armalite's .308 carbines use a slightly longer, non-standard carbine extension tube. The JPSCS2-10 can still be used with these extension tubes by installing the spacer, which must be modified to fit. Alternately, the system will function readily if the longer Armalite carbine tube is replaced with a standard 7-inch .223 carbine extension tube.

That's their own description of this part that you have.  It's ironic that they state the Armalite .308 carbine uses a slightly longer, NON-STANDARD extension tube...  I LMAO over that...  :lmao:  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension IS the standard, for .308ARs...   :laffs:

You're dabbling in Gamer-Gun shiit, with that recoil system -tailored for a certain load, certain gun, certain projectile speed - for matches, games, and playing around.  That's cool.  If you're a Gamer, and you use your gun for making money in competitions, against others, for determining hits on steel with major power factor, and less felt recoil.  You're using Race Gun parts to build your gun, that work for Race Guns.

What are you looking at from this gun?  what is your intent for this gun?  What are you gonna use it for, and what do you want it to do for you?

The gun is a moderate range suppressor host mainly used for hunting or seeing how far I can reach out at my private range ( can safely shoot out to 2500 yards, not that I’m remotely good enough of a shooter or think that .308 can but it’s the range we’re dealing with). I only with with the jp scs because it was something knew I’d not seen before and wanted to see how it works out. Would you recommend me buying their tungsten weights I believe 2 weights makes it a 6.7oz or in that ball park. I knew from the start I’d most likely have issues with the 5.0 oz weight. Would you recommend me seeing what I can sell the scs for and just running a standard buffer recoil system?

6 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

If you would go back to the second post in this thread. I posted a link to a recoil system that works.

going to go on and ordered it as a just in case, I have little faith in me getting the current setup running honestly. Doesn’t hurt to have laying around either.

Edited by Zach2000