• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help built new ar10.

Zach2000

Just now, shooterrex said:

I only recall one person ever getting that scs system to work. Maybe two people. Just doesn't seem to work well with the large frame guns.

If it doesn’t work tomorrow imma just see what I can sell the scs for and call it a day, run traditional buffer and weights.

41 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

Would you recommend me seeing what I can sell the scs for and just running a standard buffer recoil system?

Definitely.  You never solve simple problems with complex solutions.  Simple problems are solved with simple solutions.

Here's my deal on recoil systems.  it's fairly blunt.  You have a receiver extension DEPTH that's either right or wrong.  Say it's right.  You have a buffer WEIGHT AND LENGTH that's either right...   and you have a recoil spring that either WORKS...  or it doesn't.

You get into all these Race Gun parts, like the SCS you have in your hand - that's Race Gun shiit.  You building a Race Gun?  How much you planning on making this year, both from paid winnings, plus sponsorship money? 

Yeah, that's where all the Race Gun parts belong.  They all sound badass, and cure any problem - but they're so fucking TAILORED to a specific ROUND LOAD issue - Race Gun parts make your specific handload WORK, to reach whatever Power Factor that the competition you're shooting needs to see...  So you win money, or get your bragging rights.

Race Gun parts are not plinking parts, they're not hunting parts, and they're not "I want my gun to shoot anything I put in it" parts...

My $0.02, off my soapbox now...

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't Complicate Shiit with Complicated Shiit. 

I live by that.  It works.

I like it haha, if I’m unable to get the buffer kit linked above what are 2-3 other good options if you don’t mind listing. Also where’s a rough setting to start at with gas on an ar10 adjustable gas block. Will the above linked work well with a suppressor aswell?

52 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

The gun is a moderate range suppressor host mainly used for hunting or seeing how far I can reach out at my private range ( can safely shoot out to 2500 yards, not that I’m remotely good enough of a shooter or think that .308 can but it’s the range we’re dealing with).

Well, there's very few things that are gonna give you hits at 2500 yards, but I'm glad you have that kind of distance - it's a gift to use, I know well.  You need to start with 375 Chey Tac to make that a reality, if 2500 might really be the goal sometime.  I don't even think .338 Lapua will do it, with regularity, at 2500.  That's some serious distance. 

I shoot .300 Win Mag at a mile.  1760 yards.  Custom handloaded ammo, Do it routinely, and several people here have both seen it being done, and done it themselves.  That ain't easy, at an IPSC plate target that's 18" wide and 32" tall. That's not even 1 MOA wide at a mile, when you run the math on what 1 MOA really is.  1.047" at 100. 

.308 Win is never gonna get half way to 2500 yards, accurately, no matter how you load it yourself.  My very best .308 Win handload is a really kickass load, Hornady 178 ELD-X  - the very best .308 Win projectile they make - and that thing dips into the transonic barrier after 1050 yards.  By 1100 yards, it's already subsonic. And tumbling. 

Let's get a real estimate on what you think this gun will do for you, and what you expect of it, and then we can get serious about giving you recommendations.  Or not.  Up to you.  We really do shoot Long Range here, and it's no bullshiit.  Long Range isn't 600 yards, or 800 yards, or 1k yards - that's a warm up, here, for about 26 people that are on this board as members. 

Next up, this March - we're setting up 2,000 yards, and testing our Mile Guns that are known to hit the Mile, on the 2k target.  Shouldn't be that hard to coax another 240 yards out of them, right?...  :popcorn:

11 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

Also where’s a rough setting to start at with gas on an ar10 adjustable gas block.

The best recoil system was the very first reply that you received, in this thread.  You need to go back and read the first reply you got in this one.

There's really not 2 or 3 good options - there's one option, to do it right for this platform.  Especially for a .308 WIn gun.  It's already figured out and proven, over decades. 

11 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

Also where’s a rough setting to start at with gas on an ar10 adjustable gas block.

There's only ONE PLACE to start testing an adjustable gas block.  Wide Open.  Nothing less. You have alot to learn, so Brace Yourself.

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The best recoil system was the very first reply that you received, in this thread.  You need to go back and read the first reply you got in this one.

There's really not 2 or 3 good options - there's one option, to do it right for this platform.  Especially for a .308 WIn gun.  It's already figured out and proven, over decades. 

So the armalite kit or nothing? Just clarifying

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Well, there's very few things that are gonna give you hits at 2500 yards, but I'm glad you have that kind of distance - it's a gift to use, I know well.  You need to start with 375 Chey Tac to make that a reality, if 2500 might really be the goal sometime.  I don't even think .338 Lapua will do it, with regularity, at 2500.  That's some serious distance. 

I shoot .300 Win Mag at a mile.  1760 yards.  Custom handloaded ammo, Do it routinely, and several people here have both seen it being done, and done it themselves.  That ain't easy, at an IPSC plate target that's 18" wide and 32" tall. That's not even 1 MOA wide at a mile, when you run the math on what 1 MOA really is.  1.047" at 100. 

.308 Win is never gonna get half way to 2500 yards, accurately, no matter how you load it yourself.  My very best .308 Win handload is a really kickass load, Hornady 178 ELD-X  - the very best .308 Win projectile they make - and that thing dips into the transonic barrier after 1050 yards.  By 1100 yards, it's already subsonic. And tumbling. 

Let's get a real estimate on what you think this gun will do for you, and what you expect of it, and then we can get serious about giving you recommendations.  Or not.  Up to you.  We really do shoot Long Range here, and it's no bullshiit.  Long Range isn't 600 yards, or 800 yards, or 1k yards - that's a warm up, here, for about 26 people that are on this board as members. 

Next up, this March - we're setting up 2,000 yards, and testing our Mile Guns that are known to hit the Mile, on the 2k target.  Shouldn't be that hard to coax another 240 yards out of them, right?...  :popcorn:

care if I come back to you when I start my next project haha I wanna do a mile rifle next

Just now, Zach2000 said:

So the armalite kit or nothing? Just clarifying

You can piece it together yourself, if you know what specific individual parts you're looking for, and want to spend more money.

Or, you can shortcut that process, get one part number for one price, from one company that doesn't fuk it up, ever.  

That includes the recoil system that you really need to make the gun run right.

Your call. 

1 minute ago, Zach2000 said:

care if I come back to you when I start my next project haha I wanna do a mile rifle next

Yeah, I care. You're not about listening, just talking.  haha

Fix the project you're working on now, show me you're serious.  Otherwise, don't contact me about your mile gun dream.  Shoot this one first, make hits at 1100, beyond transonic, make it win.  Come back, show results.  haha

48 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

Sounds good, tried to edit my last message and screwed it up lol. I’ll shoot them an email. Wont hurt to have laying around even if I do get the scs working.

I had to add a 2nd tungsten weight to my SCS, to get my LR308 working (after a crap-ton of help from the fine folks here [thanks again gang!]).  Now my rifle runs like a champ; probably 1000 rounds through it since June 2022 and only a few mis-fires during that initial period of getting the gas & mass squared away.

8 minutes ago, 308USK said:

I had to add a 2nd tungsten weight to my SCS, to get my LR308 working (after a crap-ton of help from the fine folks here [thanks again gang!]).  Now my rifle runs like a champ; probably 1000 rounds through it since June 2022 and only a few mis-fires during that initial period of getting the gas & mass squared away.

Imma most likely say screw it and go traditional haha may keep it around and tinker with it so I greatly appreciate this info.

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Fix the project you're working on now, show me you're serious.  Otherwise, don't contact me about your mile gun dream.  Shoot this one first, make hits at 1100, beyond transonic, make it win.  Come back, show results.  haha

You make great points, I assure you I am listening in full just side tracked a little. I’ll shoot the email and see if they can get me one since they’re out of stock looks like everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Zach2000 said:

Email to armalite has been sent out. Just clarifying the kit comes with a 5.4oz buffer, should I buy any heavier just in case or should it be fine. If I need another weight/weights to try what is it.

Do not email. CALL them. A phone call will probably get you the parts.

This is from our experience w/Armalite.

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Quoting this to ask you specifically one more question, the whole goal of heavier buffer weight is I need to slow the bolt down right? That why 5 oz won’t work because the bolt would be moving too fast and not be reliable in rechambering?

Small update on rifle, recommended parts ordered. Here is a short clip of rifle with current setup. Chambered every round and fired every round over a 25 bullet span( all I’m willing to do off my back porch). Ignore my mug haha just woke up but rifle is wide open gas, haven’t messed with that yet just wanted to see if she’d fire.

9 hours ago, willbird said:

So I get the impression that if your shiit going on has shiit going on, that may cause complications ?? LOL.

Yep, that's it, brother!  If some of the shiit you put into your rifle has it's OWN shiit going on?...  Suspect Foul Play.  Move to less complicated parts.