• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SigSauer 716 .308 Piston

The Sig guys came to my dept and were pushing these guns hard back in Oct 2011. We have a shit ton of Beretta auto shot guns and HK G36k's that they were going to take in trade. We're working through a regime change now, but we should be back in business by mid spring. Good chance I may be able to handle one of these around that time.

I have 12 Sig pistols, 10 of which were bought between 1988 to 1994. That said I bought an P238 380 auto two years ago, one of the first guns in our area. You know a BLUE BOX, these they use before they actually put them in there line up for serious production. Then you get a box thats black and has cut outs for the weapon and mag. I started shooting this P238 after cleaning, at about 200 rds I started seeing uneven breechface wear. So I called Sig, and they sent me a return label. #1 trip back to SIG. Received gun back, Sig replaced the slide, barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, and mag. After 100rds more threw it I noticed the sights were canted all the way to the right of dovetails.#2 I decidded to ship back, to have sights realigned. because MGW doesnt make a sight pusher yet for the P238. I also had a TruGlo fiber optic front sight put on and ordered 2 7 round extended mags. Received gun back, shot 200 more threw it, now the front of the frame rails lost all there Nitride finish and became inpregnated. Called Sig and said NO WAY less than 500rds, and its coming apart at the seems!Lol #3 Shipped back to Sig, this time an upper manager handled my case. He said lets just get you a new model, what do you want? I had a two tone SS slide alluminum frame. We settled on an P238HD all SS. When I received the gun the slide wouldnt stay back unless an empty mag was left in it, as soon as you hit the mag release button, the slide slammed into battery. RIGHT OUT THE BOX!! So I called Sig, they said send it back, I said let me take it to a friend who is a ex F-14 Tomcat mechanic for 7 years, worked as a machinest at Lockeed Martin for 20 years. He put the frame and slide under alternate light source with 100x to 250x magnification. We could see chatter marks all over the slide made here in the US. He told me this is caused by 1 of 2 things, 1 the part moved in the CNC machine, he said not likely. 2nd DULL BITS ON CNC MACHINE, he told me you only get so many hours before bits need to be swapped, new ones aligned, old resharpened or thrown out. He said a 6 axis machine, a good one he said could be 2 to 5 thousand dollars for new bits, on the large factory sized units. The problen SS is very hard, and even harder on CNC bits. I also was told this gun never went to Sigs custom shop for inspection before coming to me. So #4 sent back this one before even 1 shot threw it. Also complained about fit of take down pin. They received it and checked it out, said theres nothing wrong with it. So went out to fathers propperty to shoot this thing finnally. After 50rds, last shot fired slide locked back. Removed old empty mag, inserted fresh one, turned the gun over on its left side to sling shot the slide forward when...it moves about 6mm forward and stops. So I bang the mag base plate twice hard, tilt gun back on left and re sling shot the slide. Thats when the take down pin falls out the gun into the grass for the next 1/2 hour. So I sent it back for a different model all together. This brings us to the 2nd gun just this month, a P220 Compact SAO. Only one issue on this 1000 dollar gun, you open it up, remove barrel, theres 2 1/2 inch bare marks on the inside of the slide. Sig said thats where there bench holds the slide while be coated. And because its SS no worries. EXCEPT IT LOOKS LIKE A 4 YEAR OLD PAINTED IT WITH A CAN OF KRYLON!!!LOL They said thats the way its always bin done, BS , I have a 1994 P229 with stainless slide and everything is coated!!! Thats like buying A Porshe and opening the rear engine lid and seeing a huge unpainted area. And the salesmen says, ahhhh dont worry bout it, its made out aluminum!! After taking 80 grand out your pocket!! NO PRIDE IN WORKMENSHIP, CANT SEE THAT FROM MY HOUSE POLLICEY!! And im a Sig fan, well I guess I used to be!! Alot of police depts have also dumped them for quality control issues and staight up shitty customer service. Build your own AR 308, you will be much happier!!

I've never fired one but never heard anything good about the Sig P-230s.

I fired a 220 and it jammed allot. Then again, we were firing Wolf ammo through it.

226 shot reliable but felt awkward. 228 and pro series seam to be the answer to that. I myself am trying to decide between a Sig Pro and Beretta PX-4 for a 9mm plinking gun. I love the Sig Pro's trigger but I've heard great things about the PX-4's reliability. Balance between the two is very close and hard to decide between.

Women are like buses,they came along while you were waiting there will another one coming along while you wait again.The sooner you find out she's messing around the better.Another interesting observation made is every guy whose o'lady wanted him to buy her a new set of tits,she always left him shortly thereafter[i have seen it happen more than 6 times] :cookoo:

Sig's QA/QC of late has been spotty at best. Not with just pistols but across the board. When the 556 first came out there were many folks that reported canted receiver rails and mis-drilled gas ports. This from a $1600 rifle that was pitched as an American version of the Swiss uber-rifle. Sig has worked continually to get the 556 right, to the point of releasing a 551 clone. But I fear the PR damage has been done.

The only bright spot in Sig's rifle line is their ARs. The 516, by all accounts (I haven't shot one myself), is a well-made, accurate piston gun. The Sig piston system is very close to the LWRCi system. So close that LWRCi is suing Sig. I haven't heard of the outcome of this suit, so I assume that it's still on-going. The M400 DI gun has also met with a positive response.

So I've got kind of a wait and see attitude to the 716. Sig has been pushing this rifle without releasing it for what? 2 years, I think? I would hope that Sig has taken this time to work all the kinks out. I just don't have the confidence in Sig anymore to become an early adopter.

More bad news, after cleaning my new P220 Compacts barrel, only after 3 mags ran threw it by Sig. I noticed huge cuts 3/16 of an inch from muzzle, where the riffling came out the barrel after only 3 mags!! There sending me a new barrel, no problem, they said after sending photos. This is gettin friggin rediculus! Plus I am waiting for an new P220 Carry Elite SS. At least this gun is assembled by the master smith, 2 month wait. These are built like they used to build everything. Now volume is the key, so techs assemble, then they go to the custom shop for inspection. And some get missed, and make it out to the public. This 220R Elite is a replacement for my P238 nightmere. I wont discuss the added cost for this upgrade or what they gave me for my P238, but they took good care of me. Dam they all know me in CS!!lol

The reason why the 516 has improved so dramaticly is really simple, MIL-SPEC STANDARDS! Plus they just had to pass a millitary tourcher test, which they passed with flying colors. Wish they still had high quality handguns for less then $1200.00.

If your gonna buy Sig, stick to the classic models,P220, P229,P226, or P232. You run less risk of failure. Just my honest opinion.