• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

IPSC Black Badge course

Cunuckgaucho

So Mapleseed was a success, with only a couple learning hiccups

So for those that don't know(maybe Appleseed is different). There are 4 courses of fire.

Rifle- Ruger Precision Rimfire, Nikon 4-12 Rimfire scope

First- Standing,1 target, 10 rds, no mag change, 2 min (46/50)

Second- Standing to sitting or kneeling( shooters choice),2 targets, 10 rds, 1 mag change, 55sec (40/50)

Third- Standing to prone, 3 targets,10 rds, 1 mag change,65sec(42/50)

Fourth-Prone,4 targets,10rds,no mag change,5 min(86/100)

The targets get progressively smaller.

Needed 210 to get Rifleman,scoured 214 and only one to qualify with a bolt action rifle :cool:

So for learning hiccup, the flat nose SK would occasionally jam when pushing the bolt forward,so either need to polish the feed ramps or just not use this ammo in the Ruger.Also need to see how it feeds in other .22s. I ran 100 rds prior to Mapleseed with no hiccups and probably mid way into day of shooting when misfeeds started occuring. 

Other one I couldn't control was people putting bullets into my qualifing target. Unfortunately if you have extra bullets in your target they start by eliminating the highest score first.:embarrassed:

That sounds pretty close to Appleseed standards, on the AQT (Appleseed Qual Target), but you didn't list the simulated distances.  That's important, and makes it harder.  It's a 25-yard scaled target, to simulate the distances below.  You shoot it at 25 yards, but the targets get pretty tiny...

First-time Rifleman qual isn't easy to do, at all.  Very well done, brother.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

First- Standing,1 target, 10 rds, no mag change, 2 min (46/50)  100 yards

Second- Standing to sitting or kneeling( shooters choice),2 targets, 10 rds, 1 mag change, 55sec (40/50)   200 yards

Third- Standing to prone, 3 targets,10 rds, 1 mag change,65sec(42/50)   300 yards

Fourth-Prone,4 targets,10rds,no mag change,5 min(86/100)   400 yards.

The targets get progressively smaller.  Indeed, they do.  Well done.  :thumbup:

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That sounds pretty close to Appleseed standards, on the AQT (Appleseed Qual Target), but you didn't list the simulated distances.  That's important, and makes it harder.  It's a 25-yard scaled target, to simulate the distances below.  You shoot it at 25 yards, but the targets get pretty tiny...

First-time Rifleman qual isn't easy to do, at all.  Very well done, brother.  :thumbup:

Yep same as Appleseed, of course being Canada the targets are set at 25M(82ft) but simulate 4MOA targets in yards at the distances you posted.

Actually this is my second time, I actually scored better last year getting a 225/250( also with the same rifle ). The ammo I used this year started hanging up when cycling the bolt every so often which slowed me down a touch. Going to see if a touch of polishing or tweeking the mag will make a difference and if not, then this ammo will not be used on this rifle.

On paper, everyone can look at the times and the hits required, and think to themselves, "That's not hard, looks easy..."

Until it's time to do it. 

It's pass/fail, if you're looking for the Rifleman Qual.  You make it, or you don't.  And there's a WHOLE LOT of people that don't make it.  Very few actually qualify.  You never really "fail" an Appleseed, because it just makes you a better shooter.  Everybody takes something away, something to work on.  You learn every time you go to one.

Fine work, brother.   :thumbup:

It's always easy - until it's not...  

image.thumb.jpeg.3962c311e604e5fd76246c86732118dd.jpeg

Edited by 98Z5V

Agree, I learned new stuff and reinforced stuff I learned previously and will do it again next year. I want to also try Appleseed,Mapleseed is a single day, not two days like Appleseeed.I want to learn about the history aspect taught in Appleseed. Appleseed also has several shooting program that look interesting.

I did learn how having things interrupt my gets in my head and effects my following shots. I need to let go,move on and save the analysis till after the shopoting is done.Also need to a small change can make a difference, in this case using different ammo( just grabbed random box of .22 cause it was a brick of 500 and ready to go).

In little guns, little changes make huge differences.    In bigger guns, little changes don't matter that much. 

If you can pay attention - and work over some .22LR - that just makes you better when you're shooting bigger guns.  :thumbup:

That's why .22s are the ultimate training rifle.  I know I've said it before, but ...   If you can solve a 40gr .22LR wind drift problem at 200 yards - that little plinking projectile will drift exactly as much as a 168gr .308 projectile at 600 yards - in the same wind...  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 11:12 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

Agree, I learned new stuff and reinforced stuff I learned previously and will do it again next year. I want to also try Appleseed,Mapleseed is a single day, not two days like Appleseeed.I want to learn about the history aspect taught in Appleseed. Appleseed also has several shooting program that look interesting.

I did learn how having things interrupt my gets in my head and effects my following shots. I need to let go,move on and save the analysis till after the shopoting is done.Also need to a small change can make a difference, in this case using different ammo( just grabbed random box of .22 cause it was a brick of 500 and ready to go).

I knew you would do well brother. Cheers 🍻🍻