• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

IPSC Black Badge course

Cunuckgaucho

So this Sunday and Tues I'm going through the Canadian IPSC Black Badge course which is a requirement to compete in IPSC up here. One reason is that IPSC is looking to get recognized as Olympic Shooting currently is by the government. If recognized then even with the current pistol proihibition( buying,selling no longer allowed) as an IPSC shooter I'd be exempt. 

That being said the best thing is a change of the current government and repealing the BS brought in by the lieberals.

Another plus is other ranges and shooting diciplines accept the Black Badge course.

Actually busy month as Sept 3rd doing Mapleseed( Canadian Appleseed program). 

Is there an equivelent course for IPSC USA? or is it a Canadian thing because of our gun laws?

14 hours ago, Magwa said:

In any event you are out shooting and that is a win... have fun...

I figure 2 days of coaching and running drills with an IPSC instructor for CAD200, so it's not even real money is a pretty good deal. There is only myself and one other student so lots of trigger time

13 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Your a good shooter, you will do great :thumbup:

Appreciate the vote of confidence, but just 'cause Canadians have done well as snipers on the world stage, maple syrup consumption does not translate into good shooting scores.

On 8/16/2023 at 10:24 PM, 98Z5V said:

Best bet on this is hearing from @392heminut - He's mostly an IDPA shooter, but I'll be he knows about the IPSC stuff, too.  

Bite you're tongue brother! I've never shot IDPA, those guys are too anal for me!:laffs:

I'm a USPSA shooter, which is the U.S. division of IPSC. I have not heard of the Black Badge course. Just googled it and it seems it's a Canada thing backed by IPSC and is used as a gateway into IPSC competition in Canada. CG, I would say that with your shooting experience you should have no problem getting your black badge. Let us know how it goes brother. Action pistol is competition is one of the most fun things you can get into in handgun shooting!

I don't think you have IDPA up there in the great white north but it's probably for the best, those guys are REALLY anal!:lmao: (They have a "Failure to do right" rule! No schitt!)

So today was day one, with only two of us we got trigger time. Went through 380rds and with 10rd limit on mags my mag changes are only going to get faster :thumbup:.

The focus was moving the firing line and engaging multiple targets( moving left to right.rigt to left. We then worked up to moving to different positions and doing mag changes on the fly.

@392heminut,

Turns out there is an IDPA Canada but not at my local range. Local range has an IPSC club and training nights. There is alsp LEAP(Law Enforcement Action Pistol) with 2nd Saturday  matches are in accordance with the Canadian Police Combat Association (CPCA) rules.Fourth Saturday matches consist of various Law Enforcement courses of fire used throughout North America and often includes a steel match.

Custer range in Washington has a USPSA shoot first Sunday of every month 

So I passed :cool: well kinda, I still have to shoot a match( I have 1 year) and not get DQed( disqualified for safety) 

Today was a lot of fun, went through 400rds. With only two of us in the course we had time to build courses and go through several times trying different stratagies to see what worked what didn't. 

Even if I don't compete it has certainly improved my pistol game especially as to mag changes and holster work. While the USPSA matches don't count towards my qualifying match they happen more fequently and a great way to prep for my first match.

The difference in targets, USPSA is on the left while IPSC target is on the right with no B zone

how-to-score-uspsa.png

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Right on, brother!   I knew you'd crush it, zero worries.  Well done...   :hail::thumbup:

Coming down to the shoots was a contributing factor. I'll bring some IPSC targets down in the fall.

2 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Just remember that when you are moving is when you are reloading.  Shouldn't be standing still when you are reloading except when the stage calls for it.

I learned that lesson, got so focused on moving from one target set to the next I forgot to swap mags. Half way through the set I ran dry and had to swap. That wasted time almost as bad as the government wasting taxpayer's dollars.

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Coming down to the shoots was a contributing factor. I'll bring some IPSC targets down in the fall.

...and we'll shoot the piss out of them!   :banana:   You're right - we don't do too bad down here.  IMHO, the two biggest things with pistol work:  

#1 Big, the draw stroke. That's alot more than getting it out of the holster, and goes all the way to presentation, prepping the trigger, sights on target, then BANG!

#2, do all the work on the pistol in your work zone - which is right in front of your face, while your face is looking down range.  You don't need to look at the pistol to change mags or clear a malfunction - those should be automatic, conditioned responses.  But it should be in your work zone, in case you do need to look at it if it's not going right. 

I love it, brother.  :hail:

On 8/22/2023 at 11:15 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

So I passed :cool: well kinda, I still have to shoot a match( I have 1 year) and not get DQed( disqualified for safety) 

Today was a lot of fun, went through 400rds. With only two of us in the course we had time to build courses and go through several times trying different stratagies to see what worked what didn't. 

Even if I don't compete it has certainly improved my pistol game especially as to mag changes and holster work. While the USPSA matches don't count towards my qualifying match they happen more fequently and a great way to prep for my first match.

The difference in targets, USPSA is on the left while IPSC target is on the right with no B zone

how-to-score-uspsa.png

Actually, both targets are used in USPSA and IPSC. The one on the left is the traditional target that has been in use since IPSC started. The one on the right is known as the 'Classic' target and was developed after the snowflakes started crying about shooting at "man shaped targets". Also, there is no longer a 'B' zone on the targets on the left, the B zone area is now part of the C zone. If you were shooting targets that had the B zone, they are leftovers from before the transition. This is what the revised targets look like;

uspsatarget.thumb.jpg.4210a6c8c2c35463a4fba7826bd8a91c.jpg

3 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Actually, both targets are used in USPSA and IPSC. The one on the left is the traditional target that has been in use since IPSC started. The one on the right is known as the 'Classic' target and was developed after the snowflakes started crying about shooting at "man shaped targets". Also, there is no longer a 'B' zone on the targets on the left, the B zone area is now part of the C zone. If you were shooting targets that had the B zone, they are leftovers from before the transition. This is what the revised targets look like;

uspsatarget.thumb.jpg.4210a6c8c2c35463a4fba7826bd8a91c.jpg

Well pretty much why we shoot the 'classic' up here... poor snowflakes and their feelings. At my club the one range that allows drop ins/guest has a no human like target rule. Even zombie targets that have human features. If we keep catering to this BS it just encourages them.

Sad to hear the 'B' is gone, was kinda hoping to shoot that in the US.

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Sad to hear the 'B' is gone, was kinda hoping to shoot that in the US.

The only place the B-Zone ever held on the IPSC target was the throat/mouth.  Only way to make a B-Zone shot count was to throat-shot the target, or schedule him for major dental work. 

Which is still dead-as-fuk, IMHO...  :thumbup:

T-Zone.  Research the T-Zone.  :thumbup:   That's what matters.  Side profile, run right behind the ear.  Back profile, base of the skull/top of the neck. 

Get that Cerebral Cortex, brother. 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The only place the B-Zone ever held on the IPSC target was the throat/mouth.  Only way to make a B-Zone shot count was to throat-shot the target, or schedule him for major dental work. 

Which is still dead-as-fuk, IMHO...  :thumbup:

T-Zone.  Research the T-Zone.  :thumbup:   That's what matters.  Side profile, run right behind the ear.  Back profile, base of the skull/top of the neck. 

I'm already sold on the B zone :laffs: , was hoping to shoot it but now have to find some old targets or draw in B zone 

Fuk the snowflakes shoot them where it counts we even practice a hostage stage here  where the bad guy is behind the good guy with only his head showing sometimes you may have to take that shot.... I think I still have those targets will take some pictures

P.S. Congrats my Canadian Brother pistol classes are the bomb.....

Edited by Magwa

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Yup! Put your shot in the T-zone and they drop like a sack of potatoes! They can be holding a gun to someone's head and they will never pull the trigger, instant lights out!:thumbup:

Next weekend on the 3rd I'm doing Mapleseed which is the Canadian version to Appleseed. Where it differes from Appleseed is Mapleseed is only one day and there is no historical part of the course. The focus is natural point of aim, prone,sitting,kneeling and standing using a sling for support.

Given the oportunity I want to try the Appleseed.

23 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Next weekend on the 3rd I'm doing Mapleseed which is the Canadian version to Appleseed. Where it differes from Appleseed is Mapleseed is only one day and there is no historical part of the course. The focus is natural point of aim, prone,sitting,kneeling and standing using a sling for support.

Given the oportunity I want to try the Appleseed.

Fantastic program, brother, just fantastic.

While you're down here this fall, I'll track down some Appleseed courses that are ongoing through your trip back up.  Just give me the states you'll travel through, and the dates back.  I'll do the rest. 

IMHO, they do very, very good on NPOA, but they don't teach or practice the last step - trigger follow-through.  All the way up to that point, it's invaluable information. 

I still have my instructor manual, if you want to copy it.  :thumbup:

48 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Fantastic program, brother, just fantastic.

While you're down here this fall, I'll track down some Appleseed courses that are ongoing through your trip back up.  Just give me the states you'll travel through, and the dates back.  I'll do the rest. 

I'll catch one locally( Washington state) they are held at Custer along with a couple other locations. I will take advantage of checking out your instructor's manual.