• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My wife loves me, really she does.

RayGun19

So, my wife and I are at the local gun show on Sunday.  We're looking at the usual stuff, and she spies some Dag 7.62 battle packs.  They were still $95/ea. And she asks if that's a good price.  I answered that it was, and that it was drying up so the price had gone up.  She says, "let's get you some."  I'm replied I didn't know if I really needed any right now, and she comes back with, "you'll need 800 rounds for the end of May."  "HUH?"  "You're taking a class at the end of May.  Happy Valentines-Anniversary-Birthday."  "REALLY?!  What one?"

This one:

[ftp=ftp://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-ADVANCED-CARBINE.html]http://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-ADVANCED-CARBINE[/ftp]

F-n A brothers, she's a keeper.

Yeah, not sure why the link won't link in.  You have to go to www.greygrouptraining.com, then Training, then Instructors, and click on Kyle Defoor. It's pretty juch just a carbine class, but it's a great substitute for a guy (like me) that's not operating any longer and misses it. Here's the synopsis of the class:

KYLE DEFOOR 2 DAY ADVANCED CARBINE

26-27 MAY 2012 - WATERMAN, IL

Advanced Carbine course is recommended for those that have attended shooting courses before or who have a thorough understanding of carbine basics and already have safe gun handling skills.

Topics covered:

Accessories, weapon setup, slings, gear, sights, optics, ballistics, cleaning/lube

Safety

Fundamentals

Accuracy

Positions

Speed

Barricades

Shooting on the move

Reloads

Malfunctions

Multiple targets

Running with a carbine

Shooting under stress, shooting tests

Night shoot (Facility Dependent)

Projection, awareness, land marking, mindset

Some drills require physical exertion and an elevated heart rate.

Military and LE members are welcomed, encouraged to wear their gear and weapons as they would for their application.

Days are typically 9-10 hours in length with a short lunch break.

Certificates are given upon successful completion of shooting tests.

So, my wife and I are at the local gun show on Sunday.  We're looking at the usual stuff, and she spies some Dag 7.62 battle packs.  They were still $95/ea. And she asks if that's a good price.  I answered that it was, and that it was drying up so the price had gone up.  She says, "let's get you some."  I'm replied I didn't know if I really needed any right now, and she comes back with, "you'll need 800 rounds for the end of May."  "HUH?"  "You're taking a class at the end of May.  Happy Valentines-Anniversary-Birthday."  "REALLY?!  What one?"

This one:

[ftp=ftp://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-ADVANCED-CARBINE.html]http://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-ADVANCED-CARBINE[/ftp]

F-n A brothers, she's a keeper.

So, does she have a sister???

<thumbsup>

"You're taking a class at the end of May."

Rockin' a .308 through a 2-day carbine course is gonna be painful.  Tell me it's not when it's over...  <laughs>

Take a 5.56 gun as a backup, because 1/2 way through day one, you'll be doubting your judgment on primary weapons choice.

A friend of mine went through a LE instructor course a couple of decades ago, shooting only handgun, and they shot like 3,500 rounds in a week, loading all mags by hand.

When he got back, everyone was like "Let's go shooting!  Show us what you learned!"  He said "No.  I don't want to go shooting anymore!"  <laughs>

Took him a month or so before he got the urge.

Jon

Realistically, my AR10 has about the same recoil as a 5.56.  I run an AAC Blackout Brake and have a Heavy Buffer.  It all weighs in at about 9lbs with the UBR stock.  I carried an M203 for a while in the service, as well as an M60 when I was younger.  The M203 is about 9-10lbs.  So the weight I'm used to.  The entire course of fire is 800-1000 rounds for the total two days.  So I figure about 400/day.  We'll see.  I'll let you guys know what it was like.

Realistically, my AR10 has about the same recoil as a 5.56.  I run an AAC Blackout Brake and have a Heavy Buffer.  It all weighs in at about 9lbs with the UBR stock.  I carried an M203 for a while in the service, as well as an M60 when I was younger.  The M203 is about 9-10lbs.  So the weight I'm used to.  The entire course of fire is 800-1000 rounds for the total two days.  So I figure about 400/day.  We'll see.  I'll let you guys know what it was like.

Makes sense, then - any 5.56 carbine I'd take would be around 9lbs loaded, too. 

You know, it's funny.  It seems as long as our military has had rifles, the damn things come out to 9-10lbs.  The long and the short of it is you just get used to whatever your rifle weighs.  I have thought about getting a piece of stock from our metal supplier that is roughly the same length and weight to carry in my hands when back packing (the park district kind of frowns on me carrying my AR10  ;) )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, this went down a few weeks ago.  26 and 27 May.  Anybody heard how this course went, and how RayGun did with the .308 in this course? 

I've seen a few AARs from that specific course, from other individuals. 

Ain't heard from the guy since his fake ribbons came up, have we?...  Hmmm...

Just sayin'.