• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Just a plain old rifle...

Guest LLArms

So I had a fresh batch of Duracoat on order and was bored and could not wait to refinish the free float tube after drilling the holes and sanding down some rough spots.

I drained some Krylon High Temp (Matte Black) into an HVLP cup and sprayed that and then follows up (same method) with some Krylon Clear.  Too much gloss, a light rubbing with a scotch bright pad and it kept the same protective layer but cut out the sheen about 50% so it has the semi-gloss black color of factory AR parts.

This method has me considering using it more often on non-high traffic components and it will help me conserve more expensive painting supplies.

I was very surprised at how smooth it came out. I banged the free float on my desk a bit to see how the clear would stand up and the worst I could produce was a light scuff, which I could rub out with my finger.

Color me impressed for sub $8.00

just realized thats the factory float tube! nice! can i get some close up shots? was just talking about butchering mine up a bit with a friend of mine.

I'll post some a bit later this evening.  <thumbsup>

Very nice ! Sleet look . Mfg of bipod legs ? What size drill bit did you use on the rail ?

<thumbsup>

I found a really cool Brake for this barrel, I'll post a pic its for a 338 L-Mag.

What does MFG stand for?  :o

I don't recall the drill bit size - but my press only had a bit that was too small. So I used the press to get the holes in straight - then a regular cordless drill to widen it with a larger bit.

Bigger bits for the press are on the "to get" list now.  :P

Manufacture , brand name. They are different ,Good thing.

Ah sorry.

They are a clone of the Command Arms bipod legs. Picked them up on Amazon for $66.00  (CA's version is $125).  After a bit of tooling I got them up to my standards because all the cloned stuff is sub-par build quality.

One of the benefits of being a handy man I suppose.  <thumbsup>