• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RR LAR-8 BArrel Extension Source?

minsane

Hi guys:

I am new to the forum.  What a great place to ask questions about my .308 AR.  I am not happy with the factory barrel that came with my rifle and I am having a difficult time locating a barrel extension for this rifle to go with a new barrel.  JP says that they will make one if I buy their barrel for an additional $80.  I am thinking of going with another barrel maker. 

Does anyone know of another place where I can obtain or have made the extension for this rifle?  Unfortunately RRA is backed up and is not offering parts for this rifle at this time.  Thanks for your help.

<dontknow>

I wish I knew the specifics, but what RR told me was that they are different due to the FAL mags that are used.  They told me that the extension would have to be modified.  I was thinking of just taking the extension from my existing barrel and also using my old bolt.  Spare parts are not available from RRA as of now.  They are still catching up with orders.  The rifle has 2500~3000 rounds through her as of now.

Do you guys think this is doable?

Im not sure about the reusing part, no clue sorry. I was wondering if you could use an Armalite or DPMS extension on the new barrel and have a new bolt fitted to it. Or perhaps the RRA extension can be realized from a DPMS or Armalite.

Do you have your barrel off the rifle already?

I don't understand what RRA meant when they told you the barrel extension was different, so it could accomodate FAL mags.  The extension doesn't interfere with mags.  Unless they've done something with the feed ramps (maybe it's a single, centered ramp?).  I don't think it would be possible for RRA to change the headspacing, if the gun is either NATO or .308 Win chambered - they'd have to stick to those specs.

Kind of a backwards was to find out what it going on is looking at the bolt - does it differ radically from a DPMS or Armalite bolt?  You'd need accurate measurements to confirm, if there are no apparently visual differences.  Length of bolt lugs, width of them, number of them, spacing, etc. 

I'll throw a digital caliper on my DPMS bolt for measurements, and get some pics, if you need/want that info to compare. 

As long as your new barrel is to specification, I can't see any reason why you couldn't reuse your current barrel extension, unless you are going with an aftermarket bolt that isn't compatible with the RRA design. Is there anything wrong with your old barrel extension, wear, broken lug guides, malformed feed ramp, etc?

The barrel extension and the bolt look ok.  There is some wear at the bottom of the extension, but nothing major.  Finding upper parts for this thing is going to be difficult.  It seems there are many makers that will make parts based on DPMS design, but not this one.  I'm thinking that I may just have to wait until RRA starts offering parts.

• 7 months later...

How about a photo or two .

Is the bolt design the same as a std. AR type 308 ?

How about some spec's. , length & dia. .

Kinda also makes you wounder what the thread pitch are, for the extension (on the barrel).

I would rather use a new extension for a new barrel , but that's just me .

Would a DPMS 308 type work ,with modification ? It all depends on the spec's they use for they extension & upper receiver.

I'm sure there are spec's on the 308 DPMS type of extension some where or if some one has a barrel off, can take some .