• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lightweight .308 for hunting in Maine.

Alakso

I'm looking for a lightweight (under 8 lbs) AR style .308 for hunting Moose, Bear, and Deer here in Maine. I like the DPMS LR-308L but at $1500 it's kinda pricey. Can I build my own AR style .308 with an 18"-20" barrel that will weight under 8 lbs, and if so what parts brands will work for my application?

the short answer there is no, getting the .308 platform that light is realexpensive. the platform overall is more expensive than the 5.56's, so be prepared to spend some extra money. that being said, there are more and more used ones coming to the market, and less expensive offerings from factory's. one of the few light weight factory rifles is the larue predatar, which is being used as a competition rifle by many, but is more expensive.

here is a link for reference:

http://www.laruetactical.com/predatar762

just so you know, a 16" rifle is good for 4-500yds in hunting accuracy if you can do your part. and if my travels to maine are any indication of where you'll be hunting, you won't even need that distance.

welcome to the forum, from mass

no problem.

So I guess I'm stuck with trying to save up for the DPMS LR-308L or building one myself, which it seems will be at an increased cost for the individual components.

while building can be more expensive,  doing it over time can offer relief, ordering part by part. it also allows you to custom build your rifle to suit your needs. which you may end up doing anyway. we have a group buy here through a member for mega arms, and it offers good prices, but your build will end up around 1800 or so i would guess. there is lots of content to read, have at it and feel free to bounce questions off anyone, we are all happy to spend someone else's money!!!!

As time permits I'll read through the forum and educate myself more. I can't afford a complete rifle at this time so I'll just build my own, part by part, as funds become available. And thanks for mentioning Mega Arms. I like the looks of the Mega Arms Maten .308 upper and lower receiver as a foundation for my build. When is the Mega Arms group buy and who will be running it?

When is the Mega Arms group buy and who will be running it?

dave branson send him a pm, or let him know here

http://308ar.com/forum/for-sale-or-trade/considering-a-mega-machine-ar-and-ma-ten-group-buy-offering/

pm'ing him may provide a better result, can't wait to see what you do

also check out rainier for parts, or talk to dave, both should serve you well

http://www.rainierarms.com/

I can tell you that my Oracle shoots MOA  or 1/4 over out to at least 400.

I like the DPMS Oracle but I'm trying to stay under 8 lbs. because most of my hunting is tracking Deer up and down the Western Mountains of Maine and at the end of the day every ounce counts for an old fart like me :)

A few hundred here & there for parts doesn't seem like much at the time but can easily add up to way over $1,500 by the time you are done! ;D

True, but I can't afford a completed rifle so this is the only way I'll be able to get an AR 308. Plus by going this route I can customize this rifle just the way I need it for my application.

I like the DPMS Oracle but I'm trying to stay under 8 lbs. because most of my hunting is tracking Deer up and down the Western Mountains of Maine and at the end of the day every ounce counts for an old fart like me :)

I understand that.  I haven't had to carry it far yet.  Hopefully that won't be required  <thumbsup>