• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JP Enterprises Barrel kit for a new build?

msoto80010

Hello everyone.  This is my first foray into the realm of .308 so please excuse any newb questions.  I obtained a JD Machine Tech matched upper and lower.  They are DPMS compatible.  My question is in the choice of barrels.  I want to stick to a minimum 20" barrel.  I have looked into an actual DPMS 24" bull barrel and a JP Enterprises 22" medium contour barrel.  I have heard good things about the DPMS barrels but 24" is slightly on the long side for me.  At 22" the JP is looking more appealing.  I can't seem to find any reviews or info on the JP beyond what is on their web site.  Any one out there have any experience with these barrels?  Any info would be appreciated.

Im not sure why but I dont seem to come across many folks with JP rifles of any sort so I have no help to offer.

A second alternative would be Fulton Armory's Krieger Criterion barrels. I think someone mentioned the DPMS barrels are manufactured from Wilson blanks

and with this post I didnt answer a single question you asked, Welcome to the site!! ;D

Part of the answer depends on what you are going to use the rifle for? The 24" bull barrel is great for bench rest shooting at long range, but if you plan on carrying it very far the medium contour would be a better choice. The DPMS barrels are production barrels and have no accuracy guarantee, if you require an exceptionally accurate barrel, than you should buy something that is specifically sold as a match quality barrel.

Thanks for the answers so far.  The planned use for this build is long range bench shooting.  I would like to start experimenting with 600 - 1000 yard shots.  The JP barrels claim to be supermatch, but a manufacturer can say just about anything they want.  That doesn't make it true.  That is why I was looking for actual personal experience.  Thanks for the alternatives.  I will investigate them.

Went to JD Machine to pick up my matched set today.  We have a 10 day (make sure you're not a psycho) waiting period here.  I got to talking with Rob there.  He is an ex Seal armorer that does all there custom work.  He gave JP Enterprises good marks so I "pulled the trigger" on their barrel to try it out.  The rest of the parts are on order and should start trickling in slowly.  The waiting for the UPS guy is the hardest part.  Will keep you updated and post some pics as the build progresses

Rob and the guys down there are super cool.  I've stopped by a few times to chat and they have been very helpful.  Did he let you hold the 13.7" w/pinned noveske pig?  That gun was sweet.  As for JP, they were less than helpful when I emailed them about their .308 carrier.  I was pretty set on ordering that and one of their barrel sets, but they turned me off to it pretty quick with poor customer service.  I'm usually working during most companies business hours, so I rarely call anyone.  I'm so used to shooting emails that I just do it without much thought anymore.  Maybe things would have been different if I had called them, but they were short and no help with their response to my email and never even responded to the second.  I wound up going with Fulton for most of my parts after that.  Look forward to seeing your build.

And for a side note...if you're getting your matched set from JD as a stripped set, ask Rob for the pin they use for the rear detent.  That hole is drilled to be tapped 6-32 and they use the same threaded pin that goes with the bolt catch to take up the extra slack and keep tension on the rear detent pin.  Almost no LPK will come with two of those pins, so grab one from him while you're there <thumbsup>

Thanks for the heads up DNP.  I had read your post on the rear detent screw.  Rob hooked me up with 2.  One to use and one to loose I guess.  I called JP to place my order and they were extremely helpful on the phone.  I ended up getting the 22" barrel kit (which included the adjustable gas system & comp), heat sink for the barrel, Complete bolt assy, and handguard.  They even threw in a discount.  ;D  Since I can't take a picture to save my life, I am going to have to hook up with you for some good pics once it is complete.  You have mad photo skills by the way.

MS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished an 18 inch upper and used the JP barrel. I called and ordered it, got great service from a knowledgeable CSR. I'm moving to the Heavy Optics division in 3 gun and the 24 inch fluted barrel on my DPMS was a little too long/heavy for that application. I have had really good accuracy results, (5 shots, 125 Nosler  BT into 1.12 inches at 200 meters) with the JP barrel. That is about as good as I can hold the rifle or see for that matter.

I think that you will be pleased.

I just finished an 18 inch upper and used the JP barrel. I called and ordered it, got great service from a knowledgeable CSR. I'm moving to the Heavy Optics division in 3 gun and the 24 inch fluted barrel on my DPMS was a little too long/heavy for that application. I have had really good accuracy results, (5 shots, 125 Nosler  BT into 1.12 inches at 200 meters) with the JP barrel. That is about as good as I can hold the rifle or see for that matter.

I think that you will be pleased.

pictures please  ;D  Thanks for joining  <thumbsup>

I received the upper assy goodies last week.  The stuff sure looks purdy and I couldn't help but get it assembled the next day.  Still waiting on a stock and optics.  I used the A2 stock off of my AR-15 and a cheapo scope off of my AR15-22 to "temporarily" completed the build.  I was anxious to try it out and start the break in process that JP recommends.  Can't really attest to the accuracy as of yet.  Still breaking the barrel in and haven't mounted good optics.  I was also using inexpensive ammo.  The grouping started out wide and started tightening up as I progressed through the break in process.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  One major problem I have run into is that the stock DPMS factory trigger is horrible for accuracy.  It has a super heavy pull and loads of creep.  Any advice on a precision trigger I can use for better accuracy?  I would prefer something that isn't too complicated to install.  Not that I am not capable but the simpler the less can go wrong.  I was thinking maybe a geiselle SSA or the likes.

• 3 weeks later...