• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Precision Barrel's

Robocop1051

Okay Robo!!!

I got it direct from JP Enterprises. Stainless steel JP Supermatch Cryogenically treated .308 Win./7.62

Because I heard good things about them and when I found out they include the JP Enhanced Bolt head spaced to the barrel extension I thought that was a good thing and it made easier for me since I wouldn't have to worry about the head spacing thing. The barrel (16") was available right away but the bolt was 4 weeks out so I had to wait those 4 weeks for shipment. The order added a lot to the price of my build but it is nice and so far it

has managed a group just under 3/4" @ 100 using a USO SN4 1.5-6x28 w/JNG reticule in the 1st focal plane, @ 6 power. The barrel I'm lead to believe is a Wilson made to JP specs.

I've got two barrels that I had made to order, all of my others are Noveske's. My 300BLK barrel was made for me by Delta Arms, using a Montana rifleman blank, and was designed with competition 3 gun shooting in mind. My CF wrapped barrel was mabe by Advanced Barrel Systems, using a Mike Rock blank. The 300 barrel took a month or two to get, and the .308 CF barrel took me around a year, so I know what your going through, hope you'll be seeing it soon.

I bought a match grade stainless steel Wilson barrel from Rainier Arms chambered in .223 Wylde, a hybrid between .223 Rem and 5.56x45. It is 14.5" with a mid length gas port. It has a 1:8" twist. 

Most everyone knows my next story. I ordered a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for my .308. This barrel has a stainless Satern core with a 1:10 twist. The barrel is 17" with a rifle length gas system. Jense Precision has been orchestrating this build for me. I hit a small snag at the beginning of this year, when the smith assigned to my build walked out on the company without telling anyone about my build. They found my items in a box stashed at the guys work station.

I expect it to weigh in somewhere near a 16" M4/M203 type barrel... Except instead of a military .750 contour, I will have a .875 heavy contour. So maybe just under or around 2 lbs??

All the benefits of a heavier target barrel, with the weight of the lighter contour barrel. I'm not expecting miracles, just bonus points.

For a min. there I thought you had given up on that bbl. & were looking for one that you could wrap your hands around . <laughs>

You may find those carbon bbl's weigh more than you would expect.

Fulton Armory is where I will get my Target bbl's from, I have two & I can say they both are precision barrels .

I would have to agree with both of you Survivalshop, and Robocop, my 18" cf wrapped barrel didn't end up being drasticaly lighter than a standard light contour barrel, in fact, if I remember correctly, it was around the same weight as the Fluted Noveske 7.62 Afghan barrel on my other gun. But that is a 2.5" shorter barrel. As you state ROBO, by itself it won't make for a drastically lighter gun, but combined with your other parts, I think your going to find that it's a pretty good handling gun, and I bet it transitions noticable better when engaging multiple targets on the move, just my opinion. The question of if it's worth the wait, and the money, is another story all together. it's definitely nice, but only you will be able to say if it was worth the wait and aggravation. After you've had it for a while you'll have to give an honest answer to us on that.

I had no visions of grandeur when I ordered my CF bbl. I knew it wasn't going to be weightless. There is no denying though, a heavy or bull CF barrel is considerably lighter than a heavy or bull stainless barrel.

All the bonuses of a target barrel, at a combat barrel weight.

Your forgetting about the most important thing, the cool factor, nothing screams cutting edge technology like carbon fiber, just look at all those little front wheel drive tuner cars. It's become so popular that I see Youtube tutorials on how to wrap you cars body panels in carbon fiber to give it that "competition" look. Unfortunately, so far I haven't seen any on how to wrap you own rifle barrel.