• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Raw material

Jgun

I've been putting guns together for a while now, and am always looking for something new to try, in order to gain  knowledge and to challenge myself. I've done some AR's and AK's and some pistols, and I'm presently working on an M1A. I've been thinking about building a bolt gun for a while, and don't think it would be something beyond my present ability. I'm always in awe of the members that are building off of the raw forgings, and was considering trying to do that, but I lucked into a chambered .50BMG barrel blank at a price I couldn't pass up, so, I'm thinking about seeing how far I can get with a scratch built .50 bolt gun, I've looked at some of the plans that are out there for home builders, but all of them were for single shot guns, and I want a mag fed. I also like the idea of a steel receiver/barreled action, mounted in a chassis type stock, so I'm thinking about using some established plans to get some of my bolt dimensions, but designing the rest on my own. Having never done anything like this before, I'm not sure exactly where to begin, I think that I'll probably build a non working receiver/bolt out of aluminum first, in order to prove out the design, and get my mag height and retention down, before I attempt to make the receiver/bolt out of steel. I have an idea that this is going to be a very loooooong term project, just hope I live long enough to see it through.

post-164-136297276349_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297276354_thumb.jpg

Barrel blank is presently 30" long and 1.625" OD. It's 1/15 twist and deep chambered. I don't think it will take more than .250" to face,crown,and finish chamber it, so I souldn't lose too much on the length. From what I've heard about shooting the .50's, extra weight can be more of an asset  than a draw back. I intend to keep the barrel as long as possible, but will contour it somewhat. I expect this gun to be very heavy when finished. Hopefully, with the addition of an effective brake, along with the weight, it won't be too punishing to enjoy shooting. I don't want this gun to be something that people only want to shoot once, just so thay can say they've shot a .50 cal.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully, with the addition of an effective brake, along with the weight, it won't be too punishing to enjoy shooting.

This part is going to be crucial, for a .50 cal bolt gun.  I'd check out what the guys at ZEL Custom are spec'ing out on their uppers, and follow something along those lines - it would at least have to be something similar, and it will definitely have to be a brake, over something like a comp, or flash suppressor, or combination thereof...  <thumbsup>

I've done nothing on this since my original post, no preliminary drawings, no mock up bolt and receiver, nothing. My excuse is that I've been working on another large platform AR, along with my ongoing M1A project, but the truth is that  it's been so hot that I can't get motivated to get started on it. I'm thinking that it's probably going to be something I'll work on over the winter. Thanks for the lead on the brake, I'll have to check them out.

Here they are, man - there's really no mention of who is doing brakes for them, or if they're doing them in-house.  However, there is a BIG price difference between their "standard" brake and their "Tank Brake" - a $300 difference.  If I had the money, I'd purchase two identical .50 uppers, with the only difference being the brakes, and find out what's up between those two.  Gotta be something, for another $300...  <dontknow>

http://www.tactilite.com/

I think that $2,500 for that mag fed upper sounds like a bargain. Of course,  I'd bet that the 5 rd AI mag is not included in the price, so that brings it up to $2,700 ready to mount on your lower. I really like their design. If I were looking to buy something off the shelf I'f be taking a good look at this one. Funny thing about the tank brake, I see it's a $300 upgrade when you order the upper, but it's listed as $250 in the accessories section? I have seen similar brakes on gunbroker, for more reasonable prices, but your advice on getting the most effective brake I can, is well taken. I'm doing this for the challange of building a gun from scratch, more than for the purpose of obtaining a 50 bolt gun. Incidentally, The barrel blank that I have is the same Mossberg barrel that they are using on their base ultralite model. I had considered buying a more expensive, finished barrel, but the great price of the blank is what had originally motivated me to get started with this project. A finished barrel would have added $300-$500 to the price. I figure that if I'm happy with my creation, but not with the barrel, I'll spring for a high end finished barrel, later on. Thanks for the link.

Incidentally, The barrel blank that I have is the same Mossberg barrel that they are using on their base ultralite model. I had considered buying a more expensive, finished barrel, but the great price of the blank is what had originally motivated me to get started with this project. A finished barrel would have added $300-$500 to the price. I figure that if I'm happy with my creation, but not with the barrel, I'll spring for a high end finished barrel, later on. Thanks for the link.

I had the same thoughts on a barrel for my AR10 upper, that's why I opted for a barrel blank from Green Mountain. I have Hart and Shilen barrels on some bolt guns, but this Green Mountain barrel shoots better than I can hold the gun, plus it's a third or fourth of the price. I had to do the machining of the barrel, but that's half the fun of building the rifle, and a great learning experience.

I agree with you 100% on this. I have wanted to try my hand at turning a barrel for a while now. Obviously, I'm not able to rifle my own blank so at the minimum, I would have needed to buy a rifled blank, but that would have still required me to buy or rent a .50 BMG chamber reamer, whic eguals more cost. When I found this deep chambered blank for $175, I decided that it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. besides which, I'm thinking that at that price, if I should screw it up (since this is me first attempt at trying to contour and thread a barrel), I won't be out quite as much as if I contacted one of the big names for a chambered blank. I've been told that these barrels are not bad accuracy wise, so I'm hoping that my results are similar to yours with the Green Mountain blank.