• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

low pro gas blocks

Jgun

I came across these Troy gas blocks while looking for a lowpro .875" for a project. They look to be about as minimal as you can get. They also have a .936" version. If anyone has tried them maybe you could post how you found the fit to be.

http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rail-accessories/low-profile-gas-blocks/936-low-profile-gas-block

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for a low pro gas block for my LAR-8 Varmint 26" RRA doesn't do one with out the sight rail and I was after the sleek look,

also what options are there out there for quad rails?...that extend past the gas block?,

any info will be great, I'm in New Zealand so its harder to sort these issue's not as big a following here as you guys have....but we are getting there!

Basically, any of the ones that will work on the AR-15 will work on the big brother, as long as it fits under/inside your rail.  Determine what the mounting area diameter is on yours, and look for a low profile AR gas block.  Tons of manufacturers. 

Quick example:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=low+profile+AR+gas+block&oq=low+profile+AR+gas+block&gs_l=hp.12..0i30j0i8i30l3.2700.2700.0.5726.1.1.0.0.0.0.529.529.5-1.1.0...0.0...1c.Sp4Ejp63hus&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3ed3544520899534&biw=1280&bih=717

Basically, any of the ones that will work on the AR-15 will work on the big brother, as long as it fits under/inside your rail.  Determine what the mounting area diameter is on yours, and look for a low profile AR gas block.  Tons of manufacturers. 

Quick example:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=low+profile+AR+gas+block&oq=low+profile+AR+gas+block&gs_l=hp.12..0i30j0i8i30l3.2700.2700.0.5726.1.1.0.0.0.0.529.529.5-1.1.0...0.0...1c.Sp4Ejp63hus&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3ed3544520899534&biw=1280&bih=717

Hey mate,

thanks for the reply, like I said we have it a little harder here in NZ sorting these issues, lucky for sites like these,

so just as long as the gas block will fit the barrel all is good......I wasn't sure if there was deferent ratings for 223 and 308, as for the quad rail I'm still looking for a option as the RRA rifle length stops at the gas block.....I am wanting it to extend passed the gas block and have the over barrel suppresser butt up against it, there is a guy here in NZ who machines quad rails (he made the one for my AR15 does awesome work so that might be the go...a custom made one...

sorry for the long winded ramble mate,

Cheers

so just as long as the gas block will fit the barrel all is good......I wasn't sure if there was deferent ratings for 223 and 308,

There are 4 different sizes that are possibilities: .625", .750", .875", and .936". 

I've never seen a .308 AR barrel that uses the .625" gas block diameter - that would be one thin-walled barrel!  :o

Most common are .750" and .936", on standard and bull barrels, respectively.  .875" isn't "uncommon," but it's just not as common as the other two sizes.

You don't need to be precise in the measuring to determine what yours is - it's pretty basic.  About 3/4" in diameter (.750), 7/8" (.875), or 15/16" (for the .936). 

How about posting some pictures of your mates  custom made quad rails?

Ok here you go, he machined this quad rail for the AR15 pictured, all so produces the over barrel suppressors as well,

thats as it was picked up the ACOG was just so it could be shot that day out on the farm, going to make a few additions to it...not to much though its going to be a work horse...

4937_.pdf

There are 4 different sizes that are possibilities: .625", .750", .875", and .936". 

I've never seen a .308 AR barrel that uses the .625" gas block diameter - that would be one thin-walled barrel!  :o

Most common are .750" and .936", on standard and bull barrels, respectively.  .875" isn't "uncommon," but it's just not as common as the other two sizes.

You don't need to be precise in the measuring to determine what yours is - it's pretty basic.  About 3/4" in diameter (.750), 7/8" (.875), or 15/16" (for the .936).

Ok Rgr that, its a Varmint Barrel so  would say .936, but I'll double check that out!

cheers

Hello brother Hunter NZ very cool.How is the firearm situation out there especially with AR type rifles? Attitudes,availability?Are there formal shooting ranges out there? <dontknow> I am in Indiana near the bottom end of Lake Michigan. <thumbsup>

Hey there,

NZ no where near as bad as other commonwealth countries not by a long shot,

basically it works like this, we have 4  categories of firearms licensing,

A cat - basic level sporting configuration rifles/shot guns both bolt and semi

E cat - Military Style Semi Automatics (MSSA, defined as any semi auto firearm with one but not all of the following: free standing military patterned pistol grip, adjustable/folding stock, bayonet lug and fitted with a magazine holding more than 7 rounds or apares to be able to hold more than 10 rounds.

C cat - collectors license all types including full auto (however they can not be fired)

B cat - pistol, very restricted you have to be a member of a police aprove pistol range, attend a certain amount of range days a year, and are limited to I think 12 pistols .

thats the licensing in a nut shell, however there is moves a foot to change the definition of a MSSA due to some loop holes, but we will see the gov/police always want to limit honest gun owners but never deal with the real issue the crims/nut cases with illegal firearms,

yea mate there are lots of ranges/clubs and so on, hunting is a major part of the NZ way of life....however if the greenies had there way it wouldn't be,

we can take our rifles and hit the hills any time of the year there are no hunting seasons (apart from water fowl) and very little limitations on areas, Public land is no worries we just need to get a general access permit takes 5 min on line and good for 3 months at a time (no cost) private land is just a matter of asking the land owner (I hunt a lot of private land) theres only a few places that are controlled by a ballot system and thats mainly to maintain the herds at good levels ,

The AR access has improved lots, there are more around and more companies importing them, mainly in the A cat class, by having a non mil pistol grip say a Ergo grip and only a 5/7 round mag with a fixed stock instant A cat, I also feel its more accepted now a days as well not so much of the "Black Gun" stigma,

as fot availability on a A cat I can buy as mainly firearms as I like at one time, there is no wait time just hand the cash over show your licence and take your new friend home, for E cat firearms you need a permit to buy from the police, pistol I am not sure as I don't hold that licence as yet,

in NZ we have a register the person (hence the firearms licensing)  as a posed to registering the firearm (as that just don't work)

I hope I didn't go on to much mate, by the way this is a great site I am sure I will be posting more Q's in the future.

Cheers

I should of added, I have just entered the AR world, well out side of my time in the military and over seas work, I recently brought the AR15 in the above picture and have just acquired a RRA LAR-8 Varmint 26" (hence my first post ref gas block) in addiction to my other hunting bolt actions, and I don't think they will be my last either!

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to respond brother.You provided alot of info for myself and others here.I have Rock River products 5.56 Coyote 20" HBAR,.308 Standard Operator 20" HBR,and 14.7 Plametto State Armory upper w/battle comp.compensator over a Rock River lower.Love my rifles. <thumbsup>

NZ has been allies to the U.S.A. for many years.WWI,WWII with 11,625KIA a ratio of 6,684 dead per million highest in commonwealth,Korean War,Vietnam,Iraq,and Afganistan.THANK YOU for your support and your service.Your losses are many, those that have fallen will never be forgotten and forever loved.Please let others over there know, we are very grateful for the sacrifices made.Rene <thumbsup>

Nice work on the rail, does your friend have a cnc mill?

Yea mate, runs a small gunsmiths out of my home town, does great all around work.....

thinking of getting him to machine a new quad rail for my LAR-8 varmint, I have tracked down a Troy low gas block .936 to fit my rifle as I want to have the rail cover 3/4 of the barrel, I intend to have the over barrel supressor butt up nice and snug to it,

On that note does anyone know the draw backs in shorting my barrel? its a 26" so with the over barrel supressor it would be a monster, was thinking cutting it to 20" ? I have seen some write ups on it and they seem to state no issues as the addition of the suppressor makes up for the missing inches....

your guys thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers <thumbsup> 

Unless your planning to use it as a dedicated long range gun, there is no reason for you to have a barrel that long. do you hunt at 1000M? If not that long  barrel just makes the gun heavy,and clumsy, even without the can. I'd say 20" is a good compromise. Your not giving up any accuracy, just some muzzle velocity, as far as getting that back with the suppressor mounted, I'm not sure about that, but a suppressed gun does tend to have more cycling pressure, so I could see that back pressure possibly indicating higher bullet velocity.

Unless your planning to use it as a dedicated long range gun, there is no reason for you to have a barrel that long. do you hunt at 1000M? If not that long  barrel just makes the gun heavy,and clumsy, even without the can. I'd say 20" is a good compromise. Your not giving up any accuracy, just some muzzle velocity, as far as getting that back with the suppressor mounted, I'm not sure about that, but a suppressed gun does tend to have more cycling pressure, so I could see that back pressure possibly indicating higher bullet velocity.

hahaha hell no mate I've never shoot anything at a 1000m! haha, the only reason I brought the 26" barrel is due to getting the rifle brand new in the carry case never fired for $1000 less that retail here in NZ in a private sale,

I will be hunting with it thats the plan and also tinkering around with it shoot at a mates farm out to say 600-800 meters at plates (but not very offen to warrant the 26")

so I will be loping off at least 6", have my mate mill a custom free float quad rail and supressor, then geting the whole thing Cerakoted,

next Q is Glass any suggestions? I have been looking at the Vortex Viper PTS 4-14x50, and also the Leupold Mark 4 line.....like I said mainly hunting with some tinkering at the mentioned ranges.....

again looking forward to your guys put....will post a pic once she is all done.

Cheers

NZ Special Air Service - SAS.  Recipient of the NZ Victoria's Cross, which is the equivalent of our Congressional Medal Of Honor. 

He's got a book out titled "The Reluctant Hero."  Damn good book.  <thumbsup>