• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Chrome vs. phosphate BCG

85 Jimmy

I'm about to place an order with Brownell's and I've been seriously considering getting a chrome BCG for my MATEN build, but then I thought about it and I've never had a problem with my phosphate BCG in my AR-15. Plus, I'm prior Navy (Seabee to be exact, and if you're not familiar, seabee's are like the bastards of the navy and we get used stuff...) and everything we had was phosphate, hell, 2 years ago I got issued a GM hydramatic A1 that was coverted to an A3. I can't imagine how many of thousands of rounds have been put through those rifle with minimal malfunctions.

So, other than chrome is easier to clean, and they're pretty, what other reasons are there to getting one? r should I just get a phosphate BCG?

Easy to clean?  I wash my new rifles with Mobil One 10W-30 Full Synthetic before I do much of anything else.  After that first heavy coat,  after a day at the range it is just wipe with a paper towel dampened with the oil (I use 20% to 35% Kroil in my motor oil,  not a critical or well-measured mix) and the parts stay clean,  reject moisture, are almost permanently lubricated.

Be very careful to keep this stuff off your scopes/optics and anything electrical/electronic (except the metal parts and cable wiring of the battery terminals in your car where a few drops of this oil smeared on every surface will stop corrosion for longer than is imaginable).

So back on to the BCG's, is there any difference in the DPMS BCG and the one that fultan armory sells? Brownells just got chrome ones in and they are only $15 more than phosphate ones, but the one from Fulton Armory are $30 more than Brownells.

The only difference I can see is the bolt carrier key is chrome from FA and phosphate from DPMS...

Jimmy  My dad was a seabee during WW11....he would say get the chrome!  the only time to get a fulton is when everyone else is out of stock! :)  Wash

Alot has changed since the Seabees first came around in WW2, it was a good time, but at times there was more drama then when I was in highschool. I'm sure most branches of the military are like that. My wife is active duty Airforce and she complains about the same thing.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the chrome DPMS BCG from brownells, I wish it was in stock 3 days ago when I placed my other order that'll be here today...

Allright  Brother !  you're getting close now...you got your wrench for the barrel nut ? dpms claw? punches? roll pin starter?  <thumbsup>  Wash

On one of these orders I'm going to get an ar-15 armorers wrench, which from what I've read will work with the Troy barrel nut, I have punches, never needed to use any sort of roll punch starters, and I guess I'll need to get a receiver block along with the armorers wrench. I've got till late October/earler November till the receivers are supposed to come in, so there is still plenty of time to aquire parts and tools for the build.