• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt lug wear

ipsick

Hello all,

I recently completed a build and shot a few rounds through it (about 40).  I'm a little curious now as to what would be considered normal bolt lug wear.  I'm getting what appears to me to be odd wear on the front corners of some of the lugs and a little on the rear.

Could you guys post pics of normal bolt wear for a 308 AR?  front and rear corners of the lugs if possible.

Thanks.

How about some photo's yours , which seem to be in question .

Here's a few pics along with a pair of once-fired Hornady brass.

Btw, the complete question is what is the typical bolt wear for a 308 AR as stated in my OP.  That's why I'm asking for pics.  Is mine typical?  If so, can I see pics of others' for comparison?  I hope I get some helpful pics in the next response.

2exaolw.jpg

359wm5d.jpg

103sjnp.jpg

28cm5nq.jpg

It appears  to me that the front of your bolt is rubbing the back of the bbl!

The rear appears that not all of the lugs are locking properly.

I would reccommend having your gunsmith check it out.  And, while your at it, have him check the headspace.

As a professional gunsmith, i am , perhaps, more carefull of headspace than others.  But, when things are made to + and - tollerences, it is possible to have all the tollerences stack up to create a heck of a problem.

Resprctfully

Terry

ipsick,

the second, smaller picture in your original post appears to show some marking (nicks/roughness) on the dia behind the lugs. Is that correct, is it marked up as it appears? If so, thats something I have not seen on any AR bolt before. I'm not a professional smith, or an armorer, and I'm sure many on here have built more,  shot and seen many more AR bolts than I, but I'm thinking that the most likely way you'd get marks like that would be from the barrel extension. Have you taken a close look at that? Can you tell us who's barrel your using? Certainly, you ought to check the headspace, even if you weren't seeing these marks. I don't know if you reload, but if your finding that the shoulder of you once fired brass has moved much from that of a loded rd, you could have excess headspace.

NoFail, thank you.  Those are the kind of pics I'm looking for.

Jgun, both bolt and barrel are JP.  I ordered them as a set from Brownells. And yes, I believe the barrel extension has burrs or marks as well.  I don't remember there being any to begin with though.  Only after shooting.  Supposedly, the barrel and bolt are headspaced at the factory but I did not verify that myself (I made the poor decision not to buy the gauges).  Luckily, I did not get hurt.  I believe you are correct and there may be headspace issues.  On some of the brass I have, the shoulder/case mouth is bending inward at the rim.  Additionally, a JP cleaning rod guide I have will not fit flush into the upper.  It stops just short of fitting into the extension.  I'm thinking this may mean insufficient headspace. 

Anyways, I contacted JP midday this past Thursday with the pics and hopefully they will be able to help me.

Thanks all for your help and replies thus far.