• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CFE 223 & Hornady 60grSP + 55grSP + 55grFMJw/C

MikedaddyH

Finally got a pound of CFE 223. I will be making rounds of .223/5.56 with Hornady bullets. On the 60gr soft points I put 25.5gr and win wsr primers. The 55gr soft points I will use 26.4gr and win wsr primers.  Haven't got a load for the 55gr FMJw/C yet. I have two plastic containers of 125 each of brass prepped  and I'll have to size ,trim & champher the rest. I'll keep you guys posted.

Good luck and be careful if hot day. Me thinks CFE may e temp sensitive. We have seen pressure signs on warmer days. When I shot the .308 cfe223 loads yesterday it was only 68F when I got started & 70 when I left in the afternoon when I was done with the other H4895 loads.

No pressure signs with CFE yesterday & primers were beautiful. But that's with the 178's. On a 83F day I shot 168 Amax loads over CFE and all primers cratered and ejector marks lots of times, & rims bent back from ejector sometimes. But same day also shot 178 Amax under CFE and no signs like that. Maybe because less CFE charge under the 178's?  <dontknow>

Hey Guys,

I have been using CFE 223 in my AR (.223) since may of this year, I don't know about temp. sensitive, its been about the same temps since I have been loading it, one thing that I have found, is that it is very charge sensitive, a very accurate powder when you get the right combo.

I think it is temp sensitive. I'm using the bottom third of the fun scale. Plus i'm using data from others ,hitting an accuracy node at 26.4gr on the 55gr bullets.

All I can tell you is that my chrony read 2640 fps below 80* and 2660 above 90* with the 168's. I'm still working on the lower node of 47.1gr so no numbers yet. Just curious is this the upper accuracy node or lower? (I don't load the 5.56 so if this seems like a silly question sorry) The reason I asked is, this is where I found pressure signs when the temp. got up over 100* for the .308 loads but to be honest I was running them kinda short on the length that seems to be where my rifle likes them.

Good luck MikedaddyH even though I don't reload for this cartridge I'm going to pay attention. <munch>

Thanks for the welcome, mikedaddyh and unforgiven,

Here are some proven Cfe 223 loads:

Case  once fired lapua  (95.8) wt.

Primer  Fed 205 (champion)

Bullet    52g. hornady amax

powder  26.0 g.

Distance  100yds.  .5 moa x 10

This load has been a great combo, all my tests are 10 shot.

Gun is a psa Ar-15 .223 1/7 twist free float 16" barrel, with a 1.5 to 6 weaver scope.

Case    rem. twice fired (90.4)

Primer  Fed AR match

Bullet    Hornady 68.g bthp

Powder  23.0 g.

Distance  200 yds    .750 moa x 10

Case  once fired rem.  ( 90.4)

Primer  Fed. 205 match

Bullet  52g. bthp and 53g. fbhp

Powder  27.2g.

Distance  100yd    all very tight.

75.g amax ( single load)  23.5g. @300 yds. deadly accurate.

Im now testing .308 loads, ill post them when there proven.

Mike

Mcxring, thanks for the loads.

The loads I have made so far:

1X cases, Win wsr primers, Hod CFE 223 power, OAL (2.233-2.250"), light crimp.

Hornady 60gr SP w/ 25.5gr

Hornady 55gr SP w/ 26.4gr

Hornady 55gr FMJBT/WC 25.8gr

I haven't shot any of these yet. Got each of these loads from other sights on the net.

MikedaddyH,

Those loads look good, are you using optics or open sites? do you shoot .308? I just got a .308 bushmaster AR, it is awesome, that gun really barks, im working up some loads for it, have you tried IMR 8208XBR, the limited testing ive done so far has shown it to be very consistant across the charge curve, its a faster burn than the CFE, the CFE should really be a great powder for the .308 not to mention how nice it measures. Let me know how your loads work out.    Mike

Mcxring,

MikedaddyH,

Those loads look good, are you using optics or open sites? [glow=red,2,300][/glow]Both[glow=red,2,300][/glow]do you shoot .308?[glow=red,2,300][/glow]Yes[glow=red,2,300][/glow] I just got a .308 bushmaster AR, it is awesome, that gun really barks, im working up some loads for it, have you tried IMR 8208XBR,[glow=red,2,300][/glow]Yes please read the thread on that powder[glow=red,2,300][/glow] the limited testing ive done so far has shown it to be very consistant across the charge curve, its a faster burn than the CFE, the CFE should really be a great powder for the .308 not to mention how nice it measures. Let me know how your loads work out.    Mike

As far as the xbr vs. cfe , like like the xbr better as far as metering it is more consistance. CFE bounces around by a tenth or two of a grain and I have to weigh each round. Also the CFE appears to be temp sensive. But the jury is still out because I have not shot any yet !

MikedaddyH,

Those loads look good, are you using optics or open sites? do you shoot .308? I just got a .308 bushmaster AR, it is awesome, that gun really barks, im working up some loads for it, have you tried IMR 8208XBR, the limited testing ive done so far has shown it to be very consistant across the charge curve, its a faster burn than the CFE, the CFE should really be a great powder for the .308 not to mention how nice it measures. Let me know how your loads work out.    Mike

I'll be watching to see how your development on the .308 goes with the CFE 223 NoFail and I have been developing the A-max bullets from Horndy. I have been testing the 168gr and NoFail seems to be liking the 178's. Its going to be 2-3 weeks before I can start again going to put an adjustable gas block on the rifle and tune it and I need to pick up some more bullets. You can check out my progress here: http://308ar.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0

Have you decided on what you want to run with on the .308 and CFE 223?

Sorry for the tread jack Mikedaddyh

I'll be watching to see how your development on the .308 goes with the CFE 223 NoFail and I have been developing the A-max bullets from Horndy. I have been testing the 168gr and NoFail seems to be liking the 178's. Its going to be 2-3 weeks before I can start again going to put an adjustable gas block on the rifle and tune it and I need to pick up some more bullets. You can check out my progress here: http://308ar.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0

Have you decided on what you want to run with on the .308 and CFE 223?

Sorry for the tread jack Mikedaddyh

I'm good to go with the 308 rounds, I dont have any empty 308 brass. Still have two boxes of 30cal Hornady bullets 168gr and 180gr.

I would like to develope a 6.8spc load in CFE223.

I am out of prepped 223 brass but have over 1k of LC brass with crimped primer pockets which need to be swaged by a Dillion or RCBS method. Got to buy another tool.

• 1 month later...