• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

need opinions on a good solid commercial biggame round for the 308

Magwa

I have used the Federal Fusion 165 Grain on hogs and it has worked very well

I have also tried the 180 Grain Fusion(just on paper) thinking it would be better for bigger game and it was not consistent at all in my gun. So I am still experimenting with different brands until Deer season opens.

I have been hunting with .308 for 20 some years for deer. When I was in the Navy reserves, we used Lake City Match ammo. The bullet is a 168gr High Sierra boat tail hollow point. You can buy the same over the counter. With my Win model 70 short action 26" heavy barrel, I can put 6 rounds in a 4" circle at 200 yards. Through the years I have hunted with my FAL, HK91, and this year I am going to use my freshly built Mega Maten AR-10. I see that Arizona has relaxed there mag restrictions. Cool! For me here in Washington, we have never had a mag restriction. But!. ALL the rounds must be hunting rounds and no FMJ. Oh and we can use luminated scopes also. We do have a minimum caliber for big game. .264.  Our state game department has some formula that the bullet must create at least 350lbs of impact at 100 yards.

have yet to use the .308 on big game yet, but in my 30-06 i use win 150 grain power point or power point max bonded. ever deer i have shot has tipped right over, its also what my buddy shoots and its been the same with him.

few years back he was up on a ridge in a stand and i was making a drive in the bottems pushing the deer his way along a river edge. he ended up shooting a deer and was trying to direct me towards the deer. as hes telling me i should be right on top of it i saw was looked like a 5 gal bucket of red koolaid splashed out in the snow and just the other side was the deer he shot. it was amazing, great shot at about 250-300 yards.

cant wait to hunt with my .308

Ok i have settled on the Barnes VOR-TX it is a solid copper bullet that has a polymer tip and it starts the controlled expansion ,thais is a high class big game bullet it wiil work on deer ,hogs,wolves, Elk, Bear anything on the North American continent . I have alot of experience with the barnes X bullets in 7mm and they have never failed to have complete pass through leaving 2 holes to bleed from instead of 1 so now I am ready for hunting season 2012 with a AR308.

NoFail, I can't find it...maybe they repealed it for stupidity?

The regs online are old...AZ law did away with magazine restrictions and we may now use sound suppressors while huntin.Jon

get high enough up in the tree and they've got no clue where its comeing from or which way to run:D