• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Used military brass

BLKSHEEP

Interesting question.

The primer does contain an 'anvil',  probably steel.  A new primer,  unfired,  has a moisture-resisting foil face over the explosive priming chemicals.  Wonder how much of that foil survives the ignition/burn,  on average? And what is the nature of the residue of the priming chemicals and how much of it is retained?

All I really know is that the 'Military Crimp' holding the primer in the primer pocket is real hard on my decappers.  In just a few hundred cases of mixed origin, destroyed one decapper (broke off the pin after depriming a lot of cases) and the (Lyman) primer pocket reaming tool does not always cope well with removing the crimp and reshaping the pocket.  That means that in two hundred cases,  about three primers would not press into the pocket;  a half-dozen more were difficult.  (RCBS priming tool.)

At least one magazine article discussing reloading brass said that the exact mix of metals used for making cartridge brass can and will vary some.  Otherwise,  once any aluminum casings have been removed,  however that might be done (in reloading they are marked on the original cartridge box and are visually obvious-- usually),  steel casings (magnet,  visual sort,  but many are brass coated and the magnet is essential) removed,  the rest should be quality brass.  Except as noted that I have no idea what is used for primer cups.

All of this is about 'Boxer' priming.  Any 'Berdan' primed cases would have slightly different problems.

My own exposure is a very vague and very passing awareness of comments along the path of my life by other people.  There are companies and dealers who work with materials like this routinely.  They have their buyers and sellers and users on speed dial and have the economics and processing problems worked out to the extent of "a gnat's left toenail."  Be careful.

Mil spec brass is mostly been shot out of belt fed weapons & a lot of people (reloaders ) are turned off by that fact. Too much case stretching , for long case life for reloading.

Its OK for plinking/ blasting ammo though.

A primer pocket uniformer is what is needed to straighten out a mil spec primer crimp . Mine is an RCBS unit & has done a fine job for over twenty years & others make them , Dillon for one , off the top of my head .

Some die manufacturers fair better than others with the primer crimp .I mostly have RCBS dies & don't have problems with the decapping pins , of course mine are all older die sets.

Thanks for the input guys, I had my hopes up until I found a link to past bid results,they're buying for close to the selling price :cookoo: I'm going to keep track of the next bids and jump in if I find one that I can make a good profit on. As far as selling to reloaders I would give it a shot, anyone want 20,000 lbs worth? ;D  and FYI if any of y'all have some extra $$ laying around there will be a auction soon at Fort Benning for 400,000 lbs of used rifle brass <laughs>

Years ago I worked for a company that bought like that, they made big money processing it for reloading.

Yes the lifespan of the brass may be lower, but it is less expensive and if you lose it in the weeds easier to replace.

Is that selling price for scrap or reloadable ?

Thanks for the input guys, I had my hopes up until I found a link to past bid results,they're buying for close to the selling price :cookoo: I'm going to keep track of the next bids and jump in if I find one that I can make a good profit on. As far as selling to reloaders I would give it a shot, anyone want 20,000 lbs worth? ;D  and FYI if any of y'all have some extra $$ laying around there will be a auction soon at Fort Benning for 400,000 lbs of used rifle brass <laughs>