• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCG question

MaDuce

Hello folks. As I mentioned earlier, I got my BCG finally. I am a little concerned about it though. The bolt is really stiff in the BCG and takes a little elbow grease to move back and fourth by hand. I oiled it nice and good and that didn't make any difference at all. On my AR-15, it's nice and smooth and just drops down on it's own when you turn the BCG vertical.

The BCG for the AR-15 is an all chrome Addax ZK BCG. The BCG on the .308 is a DPMS chrome bolt carrier, black bolt set up. Is this normal or do I have something to worry about?

Cool. Addax DOES use their own special BCG and I recall Chris Haddadian saying something about not using gas rings because of some better alternative.

Even so, the AR-15 BCGs I've seen were much softer even with their rings installed. Maybe your right and it will soften up over time.

Well, I DID make a video of them being compared and the demonstration of how much muscle it takes to open the bolt on the .308 BCG. Notice that even with the firm grip, opening it with my thumb wasn't easy. I was being harassed by a persistent fly while filming the video and it's a little shakier then normal as result of me fighting with him. LOL.

The stiffness is most likely the gas rings. They'll wear in after some shooting. Better that they're stiff rather than too loose. As long as the bolt doesn't get stuck in either position you should be fine. Since you said you can work the bolt with your bare hands I think you're fine.

What Robo said !  These 308 bcg's aint no .223 popgun bcg. Not only are the gas rings  tight on new ones,but you will also notice that the cam is super tight when the bolt rotates in the carrier. lube that cam up real nice too before you take it out the first time. Never chamber a round in a new build unless you intend to make it go bang....you will have a hard time extracting,cause everything is new and tight......all my 308 bcg's are still fairly tight even after a hundred rounds or so. :) Wash