• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I want to start reloading

blwn99x

Any update on this? I am looking a getting started myself. I have looked and looked and still not sure what to get. I would love a single stage to start out but at the same time why not just step up the plate and get a Dillon 650 and just start spitting it out <thumbsup> At the rate these things can eat ammo hand loading might take a while for a few hours of fun <laughs> If I still had my 700 bolt gun single stage all the way!

Great advice from our guys ! Start with single stage, learn the craft brfore you upgrade to a progressive press. read as much as you can and buy a couple of manuals. When reloading please pay attention and dont be distracted.

Thanks guys for the response <thumbsup> It has been years but I did reload at one time when I was younger for my 7MM. The guy I learned from passed away and was a wealth of knowledge. I plan on the SS and have been eying Cabelas as the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit is on sale for 249.99. Only issue I need parts to finish my build <laughs> so reloading might be on the back shelf until the new year.

i would not get a kit, the often have stuff you dont need, or stuff that you will have to upgrade very quickly.

just an FYI for the most part i am a RCBS fanboy, they make some of the best presses and dies out there, other things not so much.

A base line starter kit would ideally be the follow.

0> the one must have item is: more reloading books then you know what to do with. If you get bullets from company A get their book, if you get powder from company B and they have a book get it.  Also dont be scared to use the interwebs to get reloading data from the companies that make either the bullets or the powders a lot is on line, my ipads only book marks are reloading sites.

1> RCBS Rock Chucker (often found on line from reloaders that have moved to progressives) (upgrade option is the RCBS Turret press(still single stage just less removing/adding of dies)

2> A quality electric scale, i like the hornady CS1500 it works.(beam scales are very accurate but can be twitchy and slow to center)

3> Lee powder measure kit (powder scoops(work great for getting 99% or so of your powder charge quickly)

4> loading blocks at least two, if not more (I like the Frankford Arsenal(yes they are ammo specific but a lot of ammo uses the same blocks, for example my FA #6 work for my 44spl/44mag/45auto/45auto rim/45 colt/30-30win/44-40/41mag(it was not built for the 308, but it holds the brass fine)

5> RCBS dies in the caliber you are going to be reloading.  (For example i dont like the hornady pistol dies because the case bell is not adjustable you have to adjust the die with RCBS you just bottom out the die and then slowly move down the bell to get the amount of belling you want.)

6> Frankfurt Arsenal case tumbler, it just works and it works great (hint putting in strips of fabric softener will make your media last longer)

7> dial Calipers!!!!  Digital are ok and easier to read but need batteries. dials dont need power to work.  I own both and use digital more often then not, but like the fall back when the batteries die, and my electric one seams to eat batteries like i eat popcorn(cheap POS i got from harbor freight).

you can get more in to it, but i dont, i use an RCBS hand primer after  sizing the cases, but using the press is about as quick, and on the turrent with the auto priming feeder tubes its might be something i get in to, but love the auto-prim thing from RCBS it just works.

also tons of videos on how to set up the press, your work space, the reloading process. everything. youtube can be a damn good friend.

just my 2 cents.