• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Safe Reloading

Dusty44

As this is written,  I just came across a website called "Colt Anaconda Explosion."  I have ongoing problems with my computer programs and am unable to insert a URL,  sorry.  There were lots of pictures of the 44 Mag revolver and a very good story.  It was dated in 2005.  The guy was using Titegroup and 240 gr JSP bullets.  Lots of space in the case.  He thinks his progressive press double-charged the case.  Several of the other cartridges ignited and exploded also.  The cylinder split in half and more,  the frame is bent and broken,  there were a handful of brass fragments of many sizes from the cartridge cases.

Another possibility that occurs to me  about using a powder that takes up only a very small volume is detonation.  A discussion about detonation in ammo cartridges is way beyond this little missive's scope.  There is a lot of information available.  If you do not know,  it would be good to do some reading on appropriate web sites.

Personally,  I load all powder from a beam scale into cases in loading blocks,  drop a gauge into the cases (a short piece of thin wood like a toothpick or bamboo food skewer marked for this loading)  when all are loaded to be sure all charges are about the same,  then place and seat the bullets. Then use the caliper to verify each and every COL or visually recheck that the crimp is in the (correct?) crimp groove or on the cannelure.

Double loading is much too easy.  Everything takes time and is usually tedious.  I use powders that so far just barely leave space for the bullets.  It is real easy to tell when I have double charged because the case overflows.  The wood gauge mostly shows the cases I missed.  One of the reasons I am buying a bigger beam scale than the Lee that I have is so I can weigh all completed cartridges just to see if one might be overfilled some or empty (?) in spite of the checks already being done.

I think being very paranoid when loading ammo is a good thing.

Before there was internet I had an early Hornady progressive that had a poorly designed linkage for the powder measure. Gravity and a spring weren't reliable at returning the measure fully closed. I ended up re-designing the system so it was mechanically actuated in both directions. While my mods helped the powder measure itself also proved to be unreliable. That's when conversations with folks in the know lead me to the Redding measures. That brought safety and precision into my progressive reloading.

I have found that it is a good idea to use powders that show over charge . I think you will find that when most of the case is filled ,you get the best loads any way .

I think that it is a economic decision to use a powder that you use less ,more rounds per pound . One that can bite you if you are not careful .

I have an Anaconda in 44 mag. & since I use it to hunt ,all my charges are hand weighed. I also have no problem using my Redding measure to load for volume . I just check the charge once in a while & look over the loading block with a strong light ,to see if all charges look the same level .

Since I went to a digital scale I hardly use my beam scale . I do check my initial charge weight with both.

You can never be too careful. 

• 1 month later...

I moved up to the Dillon 650 a few years ago for "service" rifle type loading.  The Powder Check die station is a real advantage.

I have had to turn down the stylus that fits in the case on most of the set-ups I have, but that is simply paying attention to what is going on.  Once dialed in, it is a peace of mind giver.