• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Getting a compound bow

Madhouse

I'm thinking about going to Bass Pro tomorrow and getting a compound bow.  I've got some opportunities to bow hunt deer this fall with some friends.  I haven't shot a bow since I was in high school, so I'm not sure what to expect when I start picking out equipment.

I know that I will be getting measured for proper pull length, and I will shoot a few different bows in their indoor range to find the right one for me.

Any advice is welcomed...  <thumbsup>

I have two (a PSE Stinger, 45-60lbs, 4.7lbs) and a (Mission Craze, 15-70lbs user adjustable w/o bow press, 3.6lbs). Both are fine I prefer to carry the Craze as its shorter/lighter. Most national brands are pretty good; it depends on your personal perference and how much you wish to spend. Good luck with your search/purchase.

Bass Pro has some good bows that will do the job but if you are looking for the high end bows you will have to find a pro shop,Bass Pro is not a pro shop. Bowtech,Mathews,PSE & Hoyt are the best of the best. As far as broad heads go Rage broadheads have great reviews,if you prefer fixed blades look at the Muzzys. I shoot a 10yr. old PSE @73lbs D.W. w/Muzzy 4 blade broad heads.... I'd like a new Bowtech but I spent all my $$$ on a AR ;D

Bought a Matthews today from an archery store.  Got the Venture model.  I was there for quite a while while the guy set it up with the sight, stabilizer, quiver, rest, etc.  Then I did some shooting and last last three shots at 20 yards were inside of 3" of each other.  It's so smooth, can't wait to kill some pigs.