• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10A Magazine Catch in a DPMS/KAC styled (SI-Defense) lower

Robocop1051

First and foremost, I want to thank MrRaley for assisting me in this project. No one here is a stranger to the quality of the Armalite rifles. I am forever in search of making sure I have taken advantage of all of the modern advances in the technology for the AR308. Armalite recently released the newer AR10A which is now able to use the Magpul LR20 PMAG. This huge undertaking is combined with the fact that Armalite is notorious for making .308 specific parts. Up to now my rifle has had the standard AR-15 magazine catch. Since Armalite was so gracious to release this new feature on the AR10A, I was extremely interested to see if this new part would; 1. work on my rifle, and 2. be a satisfactory upgrade to the commonly used part I already had.

After a bit of aid from MrRaley, and a short wait on the US Postal Service (I was also delayed by the opening weekend of buck season), I finally had my package in my mailbox. I instantly recognized the AR10A magazine catch from all the pictures I had seen online.

As quickly as I opened my mail, I had my AR15 magazine catch out to compare parts. The differences were immediately present to me.

4BBE3DEA-BFFE-4BC7-8435-DF11116C6A43-1213-000002941E1AFA39.JPG

First... The AR10A had a slightly longer post than the standard AR15. This equates to a longer range of motion. Next... I saw the "boss" (as is was described to me by MrRaley) was significantly larger on the AR10A part in comparison to the standard AR15 part.

AA6047BE-A93B-476B-B407-7037E18D8B5F-1213-0000029436F7515E.JPG

Last... The spring was exponentially stronger and longer on the AR10A part versus the AR15 part.

EA481F81-DAC1-4623-868F-40A507F7592B-1213-000002942CA01A26.JPG

Assembly was just as simple as any other magazine catch. The combination of the three examples above made for a very strong and deep contact on the Magpul LR20 PMAG.

Unfortunately the pictures will never be able to show you how firm and solid this new mag catch works. I can honestly say I am pleased with the new part. Its functions and installs perfectly. The solid and distinct sound of the magazine seating into the magwell was reassuring to say the least. There is no worry that weight of the magazine, combined with the power of the bolt slamming over the top, is going to unseat my magazine.

I fully stand behind this as an upgrade to the DPMS/KAC versions of the 308AR rifles. Armalite has proven to me once again why they have been able to weather the years of clones and copies, always to remain the undisputed example of how it all started!

Thank you to Imschur and MrRaley for making this possible for me.

• 4 years later...