• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help with build

Blazer11

So I tried just asking questions here and there but now I'm just gonna say Im building a DPMS LR.308. I already got my barrel questions answered now I need help with gas tube and block.

How long should my gas tube be on a 16" barrel?

What are some good gas blocks?

Thanks for your help

Depends on what the barrel maker specs for a gas system, man.  Fulton Armory has some fantastic 16" DPMS-based barrels that run standard rifle-gas systems.  survivalshop, here, has one.  Some barrel makers run carbine gas systems on 16" barrels - if the gas port diameter on those isn't dead-on, that thing would kick you like a pissed off mule. 

If you've got your barrel questions answered, did you already decide on a specific barrel?  If so, you're stuck with a gas tube length that barrel is made for, and it's a moot point on gas tube length.  If you've only settled on a length for the barrel, and don't have it yet, then you still have options on the gas system that you choose, based on what the different makers offer.  <thumbsup>

Gas block - lo-pro, pic-rail block - what do you want, for function?  AR-15 gas blocks all work, and it depends on the barrel maker for the right size.  Fulton Armory uses .936" diameter on their stainless Criterion barrels.

Spill all your questions in this thread - they'll get answered.  Guaranteed.

The gas block pic attachment doesn't line up with the top rail - you have to buy a specific, taller front sight that is designed to work on a pic rail gas block.  It's not same-plane sighting.

Advantages to freefloat FAR outweigh any disadvantages - there's no reason not to use a freefloat tube of some sort, if you're building one.  No reasons at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a build, i used the dpms upper and the Rainier Ultra-match 16" barrel. They suggested to me to use thier gas block for fiting issues, so I got thier lo-pro gas block that is spec.ed @ .750. It fit perfectly. and thier barrels are for mid-length gas systems which I read on here, and was told it would have a "smoother" action to it.

I'm a noobie on here but I have the same set-up and it works out awsome as far as the fit of all the parts. i even like the JP FF handguards. I put all of it together with no tools "just to check the fit of parts" in no time. finger tightened. Its fully assembled now and waiting "on the funds" for the lower.

Blazer, There are some rail height picatinny gas blocks out there.  Depending on the diameter of your barrel at the gas port you can probably find one that will put your rails on the same plane.  You just have to make sure your handguard isn't so long that it goes over the gas block.  Another alternative is to get a longer handguard that has a receiver height rail its full length if you want to put iron sights on.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I'll be going with a Rainer arms 16" 

Do the low pro blocks fit under a free float. Or is the

Pica tinny one better. 

So many little things driving me nuts  hope I can finish

Hi Blazer ive got a troy trx battlerail 13.8 on my newly built rainier 16".....its  the nutz....gas block is covered and with a cooley comp on the end you have one mean mofo. recoil is nada....concussion on either side causes people on either side of you to pack up their gear and leave you all the room you want on the firing  line <lmao>  Wash