• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

new build... maybe?

Robocop1051

I'm looking to start a new build and I'm super interested in building from a JD base. I was planning on buying from HERE for my receiver set since this a is a local dealer. I have a full outline of all the parts I want to use already written out.

My question is how "plug and play" is the JD receiver? I am pretty savvy with my Colt AR15, but I didn't have to build it from scratch. This is going to be a very expensive learning experience for me, so I'm hoping to make as few mistakes as possible.

Very plug-n-play.  From what was posted in the thread on my build, it appears they make an AR-10 based model as well....so you should be able to run any direction you want.  That's a fair price for the matched set...I over payed and was a little bugged about that, but I also bought it on impulse with no research at all from a store I know is always overpriced...so I was only mad at myself.  JD seems to make some pretty quality parts and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  Give them a call down at their shop and talk to Rob before you buy anything...he might even be able to save you a buck or two.  They've been extremely good to me both times I stopped by and they'll answer any question you have-goofy or not (trust me, I had some goofy ones for 'em) <thumbsup>

Very plug-n-play.  From what was posted in the thread on my build, it appears they make an AR-10 based model as well....so you should be able to run any direction you want.  That's a fair price for the matched set...I over payed and was a little bugged about that, but I also bought it on impulse with no research at all from a store I know is always overpriced...so I was only mad at myself.  JD seems to make some pretty quality parts and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  Give them a call down at their shop and talk to Rob before you buy anything...he might even be able to save you a buck or two.  They've been extremely good to me both times I stopped by and they'll answer any question you have-goofy or not (trust me, I had some goofy ones for 'em) <thumbsup>

I second this, they are very helpful, and I am building mine with an AR-10 base.

Ok guys. I'm a little shy to put this to print. This is in no way a "final draft", but I have been looking for a LONG time at the parts I want. I think this is the direction I want to go. I was planning on going the DPMS/KAC route. I honestly think their design is the future, and the AR-10 is going the path of the Dodo bird.

My plan here was to cut weight as much as possible, and there is no cheap way to do that AND keep quality... You can have it low-cost, light-weight or high-quality.... choose two! <dontknow>

* JD Machine Tech 308 upper/lower matched reciever set

* Superior Weapons System E1-15 Rail (or the rifle length)

* McCormick Drop in single stage 3.5lbs trigger

* Fulton chrome bolt assembly

* VLTOR charging handle

* Rock Creek 18" barrel, 1:11 twist

* ABS Carbon fiber barrel wrap

* Rifle length gas tube

* JD Raised (single) Rail gas block (unless I get the 15" rail, then I'll get a YHM or Noveske low profile)

* Magpul PRS stock (although I might go to an Ace SOCOM stock to cut weight)

* DPMS full length buffer tube

* Buffertech AR-Restor buffer

* Magpul MIAD grip

* Magpul MIAD spacer

Am I missing anything, besides the screws and pins? I have a local shop that I can run to for the small parts. I'm thinking of just sticking to open sights (MBUIS) on this, but who knows where time will take me. I may scope it... or even throw an EOTech and fts x3 magnifier???

As I said, this is a 'living' list. It grows, changes and evolves the longer I put off building. Looking back at my cost and weight issues, I think I have a new plan of attack. Instead of spending a LOT of money and adding unnecessary weight with the Buffertech AR-restor, I'm thinking of going back a little.

For near the same price as a Fulton bolt assembly, I can install a JP LMOS. The LMOS cuts weight and gives me the similar performance that I was looking for in my previous set-up.

I admit. I'm a little standoff-ish with the newer Buffertech product. The LMOS is a bit more established and is provided by a company with a long standing reputation for excellence.

I installed a JP LMOS in my build and am also using a JD matched set.  I also concur that JD is very plug 'n play.  The only issue I am having right now is that the action is short stroking.  JP's instructions stated this might happen when using their adjustable gas block while the rifle is in the break in process so I am not too concerned about it yet.  I will see if this improves as more rounds get cycled.

I think I'm sold on that LMOS. That Buffertech part looks promising, but still too new to judge. I'm also planning on running a standard gas block. I'm not planning on running a supressor (CA resident), so I won't need the JP adjustable block (despite how cool they are).

mlaines, I'll pm you shortly.

Phase #1 of my build is complete. I ordered and paid for my matched JD receiver set today. They are shipping it out to my FFL in the morning.

My update pics won't be as fancy as the last build, but I'll do my best to keep you all in the loop of my progress.

I want to give an extra special thanks to Mlaines for getting the group-buy started and keeping in touch with JD throughout the transaction.