• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Appleseed Bummer

planeflyer21

Got my Marlin 795 ready to go with its new sling, stoked for the Appleseed Shoot this weekend.

Then Tom said he can't make it...talk about flaccid.  <laughs>

We're making plans for everyone in Arizona to get together next weekend or thereabouts.

Lookin' at you MikedaddyH and Blue109!

Prepare for some Vitamin B!

Jon

JON!!!  ;D How did the Saturday Shoot go, brother?!!? 

I love me some Appleseed.  <thumbsup>

I HATE that I couldn't be there this weekend...  >:(

As shooting goes at least I didn't have diarrhea to top it all off.  <laughs>

Felt kinda crappy the night before.  Went to the shoot at 0615 to set up. George wasn't where he said he would be.  Finally connected with him down on the range and we got up his KICK ASS canopy (like a miniature "one car garage" with steel-tube framing), tables and chairs.

The first AS redhat showed up about 0645 but wasn't sure what to set up exactly.  After a few minutes another showed and they started setting up a firing line.  The shoot-boss, another redhat, showed up sometime after 0700, having driven down from Mesa.

Shooters started filtering in about 0800.  There was a very good sampling of people that eventually showed up...5 women, 2 boys, and 8 men (me included).

To start off everyone was issued a Redcoat target and requested to shoot it how they felt most comfortable.  I didn't do too good on that one.

We then jumped into instruction, covering all the points of proper rifle marksmanship.  After certain points of instruction, we would practice positions and techniques, then send a few rounds downrange.  My increased crappy feeling was being amplified by crappy shooting.

About mid-day, just prior to lunch, we set about to adjusting sights if we needed to adjust them.  Actually, we'd been adjusting them for awhile but I neglected to bring any gun tools and it took us awhile to find a screwdriver that would fit my sights.  When I finally went to adjust my rear sight, the fucker was loose...like 5-year-old loose-tooth sneeze-too-hard-and-it-will-blow-out loose.

Got that fixed and started shooting better but then it was time for lunch.  Lunch is spent with shooters eating, while instructors take turns telling us little-known history of April 19, 1775...the Battle of Lexington and Concord.  And let me tell you, it isn't taught in schools because if it was We the People would be kicking ass of politicos on a regular basis!

After lunch we went back to shooting and various drills for the rest of the day.  While greatly improved with a tightened and adjusted rear sight, my crappy state of health was still deteriorating.  Shot a 174 on the AQT (Army Qualification Target), shot the last Redcoat standing (sat on the first one) and did multiples better, not getting the 400 yard at all but did hit the head shot/"bucket".

Alright!  Came home, watched a movie with wifey (kid was still gone), went to bed and got up and down all night with fire-rrhea.

Decided that was enough of a distraction to not shoot day 2 but did hang out as MSC representative.  We produced no clear targets and got no riflemen scores...even the one redhat that shot missed out on the rifleman score.

Even with all the great history we were getting, the best nugget of knowledge came from our 9-year-old shooter.  When an adult asked why we weren't using bipods, he stated "Bipods are cheating!"  <lmao>

Seriously though, now for the excuses.

I ran my Marlin 795, planning to run Liberty on day 2.  It is wearing factory sights, the "old style" screw adjustable semi-buckhorns.  The way the range is oriented to the sun I was getting glare off the front blade AND the rounded part of the rear sight's ear, producing this glowing haze that obscured the smaller aiming points on the target.  Not that it would've made much difference with the sight loose.

We were able to "black out" the sight a bit with a pocket lighter but nobody had matches or something else.

Ordered a set of Tech Sights' peep sights this morning.

The plastic buttstock plate kept slipping while in prone.  Couple this with the new nylon quick-adjust sling and I was ill equipped.

Going into my kit are multiple tools, a little jar of Testor's matte black model paint, and length of non-skid tape (saw someone else had some on their Ruger 10/22).  Also going to replace all my shooting slings.

All in all it was freakin' awesome!!

Jon