• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Blocks...Again

planeflyer21

So looking to replace my gas blocks.  Looks like the closest measurement is 0.750", with the Operator barrels measuring 0.740" exactly.  Is this a "close enough" proposition?

Now, is there any issue with aluminum gas blocks?  Any preference of set screw type versus the clamping type?  It would seem the clamping type would get a better seal.

Jon

Aluminum gas block is subject to more erosion in the gas passages.  Steel is much better.  Not my idea;  got it from somewhere that I would trust and put it into my internal data bank.  Buy steel. 

Clamp and set screw are '6 of one. . .' situation.  Pros and cons.  However.  I like that the set screw type is a solid ring.  The clamp splits open and depends on the bolt(s) at the open side.  I have a 10-22 where the OEM barrel band failed mostly because of the split and the forces of the bolt pulling the halves together.

The set screws will pull the ports together,  make an adequate seal.  Not to be concerned.

I found that the price seems to be mostly a matter of where the item is on the online catalog listing.  The top of the list is most expensive.  I saved a lot of money just by scrolling down a few pages,  found good brands at good prices.

• 4 weeks later...