• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dan Newberry's OCW load development system.

NoFail

Thats the system I used for the 168 A-max and CFE223 powder, plan on doing the same for the 178's I just picked up a box today but its probably going to be a little while before I can start. Getting ready to start my busy season at work (UPS) will be working 7 days a week for next month. But by Christmas I should have enough overtime saved up that I'll be able to do the upgrades to the rifle that I want and restock on my reloading supplies. <thumbsup> Hows your load development coming on your 178's NoFail?

^ actually I loaded up some of your load with the 168 & 47.9 CFE223, seasprite. Haven't got to shoot them yet. But I haven't gotten back too the 178's yet, I have an itch to load up some OCW with those, though, and test them next time also.

I've shot a lot of Varget under 168 AMAX lately and I like it, best groups so far, by far. I've been stocking up on bullets too, I have about 1000 30 cal all together now. I found a place that sells 168 AMAX in #250 box for $54. Also I took out my Slash's XH heavy buffer/spring and put in a borrowed stock carbine buffer/spring for evaluation. I think if this works good I'll get the JP silent captured spring, so far it works good after one session, some more felt recoil though.

^ actually I loaded up some of your load with the 168 & 47.9 CFE223, seasprite. Haven't got to shoot them yet. But I haven't gotten back too the 178's yet, I have an itch to load up some OCW with those, though, and test them next time also.

I've shot a lot of Varget under 168 AMAX lately and I like it, best groups so far, by far. I've been stocking up on bullets too, I have about 1000 30 cal all together now. I found a place that sells 168 AMAX in #250 box for $54. Also I took out my Slash's XH heavy buffer/spring and put in a borrowed stock carbine buffer/spring for evaluation. I think if this works good I'll get the JP silent captured spring, so far it works good after one session, some more felt recoil though.

I'm actually wanting to get back to the range and rechrony this load and have a good temp range to go off of to see how temp. sensitive the CFE223 powder is. At 85* I had an avg. of 2642fps and at 95* it was 2663fps so I would like to see what a 30*-40* would do to the velocity when I get a chance I'll update my OCW thread with the results.

Whats up with your buffer are you having cycling issues with it ? I know mine has the stock DPMS carbine buffer and spring been toying with the Idea of a Tubs flat wire spring. Whats the deal with JP captured spring is it suppose to lesson felt recoil? 

I just wanted to see how it changes after I threw a stock buffer & spring. If brass comes out in better shape etc.

And I wanted to see how the adjustable gas block does what it's supposed to do when it's not fighting a heavy buffer. I was able to turn the screw on the gas block in a ways more, as I expected.

Since I have the JP Low Mass BCG it probably likes lighter stock buffer? And Clint doesn't recommend adj. gas block when running heavy buffer. I've gotten ejection problems and then that broken extractor tha I can't explain. I'm going to run this way awhile and have a look

see.

Silent Captured Spring, the system won't know the difference but the spring is simply silent, no twang or anything. Neat looking design but expensive. I would get it if I can sell my CAR 10-XH buffer/spring for $100 or so. But, come to think of it, I dunno they might not have one for a carbine length and I'm using a UBR buttstock. You have to run carbine length in the UBR.

Had a similar issue a few months ago with an broken extractor but mine was from being overgased. Installed an adjustable gas block and it seems to have solved that issue.

I'm wanting to install a free float hand guard and a new stock. I settled on the Apex gaiter grip hand guard. But on the butt stock I've narrowed it down to the UBR or the ACS. I've looked at the reviews on the ACS but haven't done any for the UBR. Soooo since your the proud owner of an UBR how do you like it?  :)

When I set out buy a buttstock I was going to get the ACS. Their is a guy at the shows that sells all the Magpul stuff. I got to check over ACS & UBR side by side and decided on the UBR instead. The only advantage the ACS has is it's cheaper & lighter, but way cheaper.  I liked the UBR because it felt so solid and durable, and it looks much better too. Their was an durability test somebody did with UBR vs. many others. Dropping from up on a ladder the UBR didn't break while all the others did.

Thanks NoFail  I guess since the UBR is twice the price of the ACS I'm going to have to shoulder it and get a feel for it before I make my decision on that the next fun I mean Gun show is in Dec. right before Christmas. Just got done prepping 27 Winchester cases for my 178gr A-max test I might have a chance to hit the range this Fri. so I figured I would start my load development. This reloading stuff is just to addicting  :cookoo: I just can't seem to stop.

I'm looking forward to you and those 178's showing up.

I saw up too 2545 average with them and CFE, 45.9 grains in Win cases. ES was 24.7, not too bad but should be able to make that better.

I know what mean about addiction. I came I to a old Thumler's rock tumbler for nothing and it works great after I cleaned & lubed it, & the new drive belt I ordered for it just came yesterday. Next I'm waiting for stainless steel pins to show up and I will be set to start stainless steel media brass tumbling, 100 pieces at a time. I have hundreds of once fired brass I got from someone cheap.

I can hardly wait to see how the brass comes out after SS media tumbling. Guys who do SS media the brass comes out looking like new inside and out. No more brushing out necks and cleaning primer pockets one at a time. Ultra sonic isn't quite doing the whole job with that.