• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best 308 AR for the money

Emery

Well, that would depend on what you want to use it for .

That price range puts you up with some of the top of the line name brands . If that's what you are looking for .

In a nut shell ,they are all good . I know you are looking for names ,but I build my own & I think you will get some here who have there favorite brand for one reason or the other .

You can read here & other forums ,you will find the AR 308's just work . It has a lot to do with the cartridge they are shooting.

• 1 month later...

It is a beautiful rifle. There is some movement in the fit of the upper and lower and I do not like that.  It was not until after I purchased the rifle did I find out that it is "ammo specific." Meaning that the only ammo that will feed correctly is Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel. You can not find that ammo for sale for the past four months. Hornady 6.5 V Max (available) does not feed well into the chamber and I get a lot of jams. So I am stuck with a AR style rifle that I have to run like a bolt action due to feed/ammo availability issues.

I think I am going to keep it and wait to more ammo is available from AA. I think in the meantime a FN SPR A1 will be my long range rifle. If there are any sellers out there. I am in the market for one.

C product mags ? If so, yes they are a good mag brand. Doesn't mean that there couldn't be some thing wrong with them . Try a different manufacturer mag ,just to see if the problem persists.

Borrow one if ya can ,( just to test  against  yours ) from a fellow shooter at the range or some one you shoot with .

I have to agree with survivalshop, check your mags. Also, here are a couple of other options.

Check to see if feed ramps are smooth or have a burr that would interfere with the bullet feeding.

Rebarrel it to another caliber.

Reload for it to shorten your logistics cycle

Sell it and by another claiber for lang range shooting.

Just some thoughts. If you do sort it out it would be nice to know what the issues was.

Thanks!

Hey Bro,

To be honest your choices are more like an apples and oranges type of argument. Two different tools for two different tasks...

The FN SPR will definitely reach out farther, if getting on the back side of the ballistic curve is really your priority, as you've stated. It will shoot farther, and also carry more velocity down range, meaning more energy on target, less wind drift and a larger margin for error in range estimation. My long range .308 has a 26" Kreiger on it for those reasons among others...An 18" tube will make it to the one grand mark which is still less then the FN, but at that range, you'll have a much more looping trajectory and wind will have a greater impact, as well...

So, if precision shooting at extended range is your primary concern, I'd rock the FN. Just understand that your rate of fire will be less, as will your weapon's capacity. The weapon's longer length will mean that moving through rough/ thick terrain can be a bit more difficult, and may very slightly impact finding that perfect firing point, as you'll require a little more room. It won't double as a battle rifle by pulling the scope, or swapping to a red dot, like the SASS...

Like I said, different tools for different tasks. I hope this helps...

Respectfully,

Harry

Hey Brother,

It's bolted up to my very custom Remy 700...Left Hand Remington 700 Short Action, Bolt fluted by Pacnor, .308 95 Palma Chamber, Kreiger 26" MTU taper; set up for axillary iron sights, Shilen Trigger, McCann MIRS(First LH Model produced), Badger AICS DBM Bottom metal w/ 6 mags; 2 5 rnd., 4 10 rnd., McMillan A5(OD, Brown, Tan swirl), Loggerhead Integral Cheek Piece, 3 Way Adjustable Length Of Pull, 2 Flush Cup swivels, Short Rail in forestock, wearing IOR 6X24X50 Illuminated MP8-Dot, in VTac(TPS) Rings. Finished in Ceracoat, and bolt hard chromed.

I apologize in advance fro my lack of camera skills...

DSCF1037.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/specopsscout/Terry%20Cross%20Stick/DSCF1040.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/specopsscout/Terry%20Cross%20Stick/DSCF1038.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/specopsscout/Terry%20Cross%20Stick/DSCF1033.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/specopsscout/Terry%20Cross%20Stick/DSCF1042.jpg

Respectfully,

Harry