• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shark muzzle break overview

MaDuce

I got the impression that few; if any people here are familiar with this thing, so I will give my first impression here. I will update this when I take it to the range.

This is the actual product I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EJHSMU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I had read a few reviews on this, including a couple on amazon.com as well as some I found through web searching. The things they said about the size and weight concerned me and I am not crazy about having my hair blown by the muzzle blast, but the price was right and the things they said about it's recoil reduction were appealing.

So I went ahead and ordered one. It was $29 but I ordered 2 other items from the same vender, so I wound up paying a single shipping fee for all 3 parts.

It arrived in the mail today ahead of the earliest expected delivery date. So I can only give the vender a good rap on that.

But there were some pluses and minuses that were unexpected from the reviews I read. First is the finish. I read the finish wasn't very good, but I figured it was overly complaining. Both the machining and finish SUCKED!! It reminded me of cheap, black finished junk tools sold at Harbor Freight. That's probably the best way to describe it. It looks like something that would fit right in at Harbor Freight. But that was OK for me. I just went and smoothed out the machine marks with a sand pad and refinished it with a black bake-on finish using that dollar flat spray primer (blue can) sold at Wal Mart. Cheap it is and a good primer it isn't, but it's the best flat black bake on finish I've seen before high-end purpose bake-on finishes such as durakote.

The similarities to Harbor Freight style prompted me to investigate and I learned that this sure enough is some Chinese junk.

In terms of size, it's about what I expected. From the very tip to the very back it's 3 inches, 2mm long and is 1 inch, 2mm wide from flat surface to flat surface (a little wider at the corners. That means it's roughly as big around as a 2 liter soda bottle cap and as long as 6 of them stacked on top of one and other.

The good surprise was weight. This thing is much lighter then it looks. I can't hold it right now for comparison, but my memory is something like maybe a loaded 1911 magazine. Basically a little heavier then a PWS FSC, but only a little.

I had hoped it was just pure ugly, but I went ahead and installed it and discovered that it doesn't line up correctly when fully installed. So I had to go to Ace Hardware and get a washer, hollowed out the interior to fit and trimmed it until it made the correct space needed to line the break up correctly. It doesn't sound like much, but the combination of refinishing, discovering problems, shopping around and corrective machining took all day. A day when I was suppose to be doing other things.

Anyway, I got it on and it fits well and looks brand new and clean cut. Ironically, I wish I couldn't honestly say I played a huge part in that. I seam to have worked off everything I saved buying it in order to get it to fit properly and have a half decent finish.

In the end and after all has been done, the one thing I am still not crazy about is the way the thing looks and feels on the gun. In conjunction with the round handguard, the break makes the gun give off the sense of a miniature Barrett M-82A1. That I don't mind provided it has the firepower to back it up. But even for .308 that seams a little extreme. The overall size of the gun seams allot greater then what I am use to seeing in .308 ARs. It reminds me more of what you would expect from a .338 Lapua. I guess the upside is that it's probably not going to have much recoil at all. On top of all that, the prongs on the tip seam to be a little too outwardly intrusive, negatively effecting both looks and handling. I think this break would do much better with a slight inward slope like on the Addax Tactical Bulldog compensator. I might make that adjustment myself some time.

Anyway, I have yet to take it out shooting, so I cannot comment on performance until then. But for now, unless you are well acquainted in fine tuning and parts fitting and are prepared to refinish it, I would not recommend this thing.

If you ARE prepared to make those adjustments, it seams like an OK break for the price.

• 9 years later...