• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Law enforcement ammo shortage

392heminut

Interesting read over at Policeone.com;

http://www.policeone.com/media-relations/articles/6087399-Police-departments-facing-ammo-shortage-nationwide/

The comments are even more interesting than the article. You have to be active or retired LEO to be able to post. Note that there are at least 2 comments about refusing to be involved in any kind of gun confiscation. There also seems to be quite a bit of speculation as to why the feds have made such large ammo purchases recently!

This doesn't surprise me. I don't belong to any of the cop only forums, guess I should.

I know that when our rangemaster team put in a range day plan along with the number of rounds each sworn deputy/sgt./Lt./Capt. would be required to fire x the 110ish people on in the office, the bean counting piss ant of a admin. Sgt. would go nuts, then I would have to go around him and get it done, leaving him to hoard his flashlight batteries and dictaphone tapes...:D

There is a major ammo reloader in my area who sells mainly at gun shows. Our Office bought his stuff for general training and our duty ammo from him.I know his family and they are telling me that the problem is the primary component suppliers.

Primers, etc.

The owner of this place has long standing relationships with some of those suppliers, and they have product..and plenty of it. What they are doing is sitting on it.

Waiting for the price to go up more. If you think about it you know that greed is going to come in to play at some point here. It always does.

During 2009 LE agencies around S. AZ were calling retailers, looking in vain for ammo to do qualifications with.

TPD cut their training budget back then by 30%, MPD and OVPD ceased all firearms training, and PCSD was scrambling to find inventories of any kind of ammo.

So, now it begs to question, what if Obama just issues an executive order to pull licensing for all ammunition and ammo component manufacturing, unless federally controlled LE/military are on the premises and all shipments go only to the feds?

Jon

im not LE but i do carry a gun for work. my company has cut us down to 100 practice rounds per quarter (not counting qual) and i wont be surprised if they pull that soon. theres a few guys who are not firearms enthusiasts and obviously never buy there own ammo for practice. my buddy and i are thinking of failing qual a few times next range to get some target time in lol. pretty sure we can shoot 3 times without any negative action against us.

During 2009 LE agencies around S. AZ were calling retailers, looking in vain for ammo to do qualifications with.

TPD cut their training budget back then by 30%, MPD and OVPD ceased all firearms training, and PCSD was scrambling to find inventories of any kind of ammo.

So, now it begs to question, what if Obama just issues an executive order to pull licensing for all ammunition and ammo component manufacturing, unless federally controlled LE/military are on the premises and all shipments go only to the feds?

Jon

This state has minimum requirements for quals, it was 4x per year, if memory serves. Our logic was that reading the tea leaves of all officer involved shootings that led to civil suits('bout95%) the more quals on record the quicker that piece of the puzzle goes away.

I've never thought of your scenario on the manufactures, but I do believe they are gonna go after the ammo at some point. I just hope things calm down long enough for me to get into reloading and stock up on supplies. I may be too late, only time will tell.