• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

advice on accesories

cliffg

ok i am a little disheartened, i e-mailed armalite (awesome customer service by the way) and sent my serial # and found out i have a post ban b model ar10.

this means i has a pinned and welded muzzle break. i found out the only way to go ff forearm is have the break cut off by a gunsmith or send the rifle to factory to remove the break and have them put the ff forearm on and reattach the break.

so i have been looking at the midwest 2 piece rail set that will drop in and give me the pic attach points i want for bipod and foregrip.

any other suggestions?

Yep. Sounds about right. Only other option would be to yank the barrel and replace it. Then you could do whatever you want. Now, being a post-ban, I don't know if there is a "legal" issue with mod-ing that particular barrel. I don't think that there is. But, you can't take my word as gospel.

You might wanna talk to a local gun dealer who's in the know. Never hurts to be safe in the current environment.

On that note. I tried one of the Armalite drop-in 2 piece rails on one of my A2 carbine's. It fit pretty well and achieved what I was looking for. I did it pretty much for the same reason that (I think) you're looking to do. Bipod, forward grip and other accessories. Easy to do, and pretty quick.

i found out the only way to go ff forearm is have the break cut off by a gunsmith or send the rifle to factory to remove the break and have them put the ff forearm on and reattach the break.

Not true.  Bear with me.

A barrel nut will/should fit over the muzzle device - post pics of your muzzle device for confirmation. 

Now, take your gas tube out of your gas block (whatever it is), cut the gas block off, and take off your barrel nut.  Should slide right off and over most muzzle devices. 

Put on your freefloat rail/tube barrel nut, tighten it down. Mount up a 2-piece gas block.  YHM makes a couple.  One has a flip-up front sight on it, and the other is the YHM Specter.  Wouldn't call the Specter a true "lo-pro" gasblock, but it'll clear any tube that has a 1 5/8" inner diameter.  Insert your gas tube and pin it, mount up your freefloat rail.

Done.

Since destroying the current gas block is the best option. If you have an A2 style front sight gas block, use a rotary tool to cut off the top, and make your own low profile gas block. You can grind those down to be pretty damned small.

Remove the gas tube roll pin, then slide the gas tube back. Next twist the tube to slide it completely out. Remove the barrel nut. It should pass the new low profile gas block. Separate the barrel nut from the delta ring. Reuse the barrel nut with an APEX CNC free float tube.

Easy as pie