• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best buffer for recoil reduction?

Hello,

Let me apologize early if this subject has been beaten down. I haven't been on this site for a while and probably missed a lot of valuable information.....

I have a LR308B and love it. I had a Miculek brake installed and the recoil was reduced dramatically making follow up shots easier. I've been reading a little about buffers and that they can improve performance as well. Is there one in particular that stands out ? I have an Ace stock on it and thought a new stock would enhance and reduce recoil even more. I like the way the ace stock feels and shoulders up so I felt it would be best io invest in a high performance buffer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Concretus

How did the heavy buffer workout?

RC

I'm really curious to see the possible added reduction in recoil with the buffer added w/ the Miculek brake. Although the brake makes staying on target easier. If it helps the bolt / bolt parts get beaten up less and be more efficient; that's all gravy!!

The buffer and spring came in yesterday; while a little shorter than the stock one it was a little heavier and somewhat noticeable when shouldering the rifle. The spring was longer than the stock one. Installation was simple. Just have to wait until the weekend for a function / performance check. 

Well I just got back from the range w/ the LR308B with the buffer/spring kit.  I'm kind of on the fence with the overall performance. I shot a box of Brazilian CBC and a box of FNM Portuguese surplus. The recoil...well there isn't any anymore with the combination of the buffer and the Miculek brake. Two things that were of concern: 1. When my girlfriends son shot it, it double-tapped. That has never happened before as long as I've owned the rifle. When I shot it,  I didn't experience it.  2. I had (2) failure to fire w/ the Brazilian ammo; not in sequence though. I cycled them out, re-chambered them and they fired. Accuracy was the same although I wouldn't think the buffer/spring would have some effect on accuracy. Would the new buffer/ spring kit be the culprit?  Like I said, I've never had anything like this happen with the stock one. I've put 500 - 700 rounds through this rifle and the only issue I've experience was a broken extractor. (which I was kind of surprised when I discovered it.) Is there any tweaking I need to do? I do want to run some of my reloads (165gr hunting loads) and see what happens.... What are some possible issues that may arise from changing the buffer and spring?

My guess would be hard military primer not getting hit hard enough.  It would be more a fire control issue than anything with the buffer/buffer spring.  Could check your bolt and make sure the lugs are fully engaging.  If half the lug is real shiny on only half of it, it is a headspace issue.  Seems unlikely with 700+ rounds through it.  I'd probably find an extra power hammer spring and try that if you are shooting lots of surplus through it.

I've never seen or heard of any issues with FTF due to a buffer or buffer spring.

My guess would be the double tap was from him soft shouldering the rifle and having the rifle act as a mechanism in combination with his finger to cause this…. akin to the way a slidefire stock works or bump firing an AK. 

The other issue was ammo related. Old milsurp ammo from any foreign nation other than the USA is a crap shoot….

I believe you are right about the boy double tapping.'me and another guy were watching him as he was shooting and he said he saw him laying on the trigger as he was shooting. That was the second 50 rd box of the Brazilian CBC I've shot through it and those FTF were the first ones ever. From all the surplus ammo I've shot through it. I'm sorry to say I've ran steel cased Russian ammo in it too and had no trouble only that it was very hot. I love the way the rifle stays on target. As far as the bolt lock up.'i'll inspect it when I get home. Thanks for the information.!!!!

My guess would be the double tap was from him soft shouldering the rifle and having the rifle act as a mechanism in combination with his finger to cause this…. akin to the way a slidefire stock works or bump firing an AK. 

I agree with Edge. It's common for new/inexperienced or smaller shooters. If you take him out again, start him prone. The solid base behind him will solidify his grip. Unexpected double taps are almost always soft shoulders, and weak stances.

.... What are some possible issues that may arise from changing the buffer and spring?

From the description of your set-up (and with Imschur's quote from JP) I don't think your rifle likes the lighter weight bullets. There is not enough force/pressure to work the action 100%. You'll probably see a lot better performance once you get over 160gr. Those 165's you wrote about will probably work just fine. If you want to try a lighter buffer let me know. I have a stock DPMS LR-308 buffer that is just sitting in my tool box. I'll let you borrow mine to try out.

• 11 months later...