• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Problems that may occur when I am done building my AR308?

I have owned and built many AR15 .223 rifles and have also owned 2 SR25 .308 rifles in the past. My question is, What kind of problems am I going to run into once I am out on the range and shooting it for the first time?  I went into a gun shop this weekend that had many, many, many AR15s and parts for ARs. They were very knowledgable about AR15s also. But, when I asked the owner what he had for AR.308 parts, he said he would never own one, nor ever carry parts for one.  He said they are nothing by problems and they never function properly?  Well, I don't really think he has delt with current manufactured guns, but not sure. I have not heard anyone say things like that on here either. What is your opinion on this?  I don't think it is going to be a problem once everything is set up right. Does an adjustable gas block help with the function of the whole gas system on a .308? Anyone with solid experience please chim in here. Thanks a bunch!

But, when I asked the owner what he had for AR.308 parts, he said he would never own one, nor ever carry parts for one.  He said they are nothing by problems and they never function properly?

IMHO, that's a gun store owner that's defending his personal opinion.  I think he's never built his own  .308 AR, he's never shot a factory .308 AR, and he's never been interested enough to talk to anybody that owns one if he's bumped into one on a range before. No experience with the platform.

Quite the opposite of "nothing but problems and the never function properly," actually. 

My opinion?  That particular gun shop owner doesn't know what he's talking about.

I totally agree!!  I did stand my ground and told him that I have not heard of any problems that are any different than a .223 platform. I told him and his sidekick that I was building one up from the ground and they just stood there and shook their heads? Anyways, it was 6 hours from where I live and won't be down there to much.