• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So where do I even begin?

Powerman

OK... I don't know crap.

I was not in the Army... I was in the Navy where I fired a 1911 once off the back of the boat. I was aiming for ocean.... perfect score.

Recently, I took the NRA basic handgun course... but the people that taught it... well it's a 3 day course with lawyers, LOE and a full day at the range... WOW, I learned soooo much. My groups were reduced to a third... never knew I could shoot that good. Two fliers off perfect. Before, I just went to the range and shot bullets at paper. Can't wait to take their indoor and outdoor course coming up!!!

So now I have my .308. Got it zeroed in. I can shoot from the bench at the range and hit steel at 1000yds with surplus. It's big steel... 2'x2' :)

But obviously, I want to work on my groups. I could not tell you right now what my groups are. And I want to work on actually using a rifle. And yes now I understand there are some fundamentals and mechanics and it all matters. So where does a guy like me even start???

Burning through ammo punching holes in a big piece of paper is starting to get pretty expensive. :)

Appleseed Shoot...that's where you start.

I'm a NRA Certified Instructor across the board, with various other licenses too.  IF you can find a NRA First Shots Rifle clinic, those are pretty good but nowhere near what Appleseeds cover.

AS focus is on safety and marksmanship basics (and why these skills are historically important).<<<<period

The NRA course crams those in with every type of rifle action, how they operate, different types of activities for rifle shooting, etc.

Both courses take two days.  Both days of Appleseed are on the range.  Fully half of the NRA class is classroom time.

They held an AS at MSC this weekend.  Got a couple of Rifleman scores from the participants.  One man got his orange hat, to start helping out with shoots up in Northern AZ.

In short, the NRA Rifle class will show you everything about shooting rifles, the Appleseed will have you shooting your rifle.

Jon

I'm an Appleseed Instructor - I highly, highly suggest hitting an Appleseed shoot, very first. 

You will learn more about your rifle than you want to know - even when it can't do what you want it to do.

You will learn a hell of a lot about history, and that's the intent of the program.  <thumbsup>

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Rip it up, brother. 

Edited by 98Z5V

That looks really interesting. Unfortunately, I'm going to be down for a while. Long story. I think I should be good by the end of May, but if not, I will have to wait till September. But I learned so much off the other course, I definitely want to do a "person to person" training.

Does anyone have any experience with the Magpul videos? Are they worth getting?

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree that the Magpul art of the precision rifle ( I think its called ) is a good watch especially if you be healing up. I hope all is well with you. You can also run some dry fire drills in your home. I am unfamiliar with the apple seed  program, I know I know lol.  I had a former Marine sniper who is a friend  of mine teach me. I was taught body position in relation to the rifle,  natural point of aim, loading the bi-pod, breathing control and trigger control and  follow through 

After reading this thread, I signed up for an Applesseed program here where I live at, I've had many recommend this program and a friend who is an instructor, thanks for the inspiration......

Please come back and give the "after action review."  Let me know how it goes.  It should knock your socks off, but some are better than others.  I'd be curious to see how it goes.  No matter what happens, you'll learn something about you, and the interaction of "you with your rifle."

For the love of God, don't take your .308.  That'll be an expensive weekend.  Shoot a .22LR if you can.  You'll go through about 500 rounds through the entire weekend.

EDIT - take a good sling...

Edited by 98Z5V

After reading this thread, I signed up for an Applesseed program here where I live at, I've had many recommend this program and a friend who is an instructor, thanks for the inspiration......

Yes please do give a report. I will not be able to get to one until later in the year.

Please come back and give the "after action review."  Let me know how it goes.  It should knock your socks off, but some are better than others.  I'd be curious to see how it goes.  No matter what happens, you'll learn something about you, and the interaction of "you with your rifle."

For the love of God, don't take your .308.  That'll be an expensive weekend.  Shoot a .22LR if you can.  You'll go through about 500 rounds through the entire weekend.

EDIT - take a good sling...

Uh, damn. Ya, that's good to know. 500 rounds sound great. With .308 over the weekend... not so much. Hopefully prices and availability calm down.

Well the Appleseed site for Middle TN said they were using a reduced round count due to the ammo shortage(created ammo shortage to be correct) My young son and I are going, we're gonna take an AR15 and a .22LR that looks just like an M4(his rifle) they said bring 200 rds(per rifle) and yes I will give an AAR, it's not until the end of June though, so it will be a minute before I post, but I will, God Bless guys. I run single point slings that quickly convert to two point slings. Here's a link to them. I like his slings well enough, that I have 5 of them, they rock.

I used something like that for my first Appleseed, and would recommend against using such a sling.

Traditional is better!

2/3s of the way down this page is a great start:  http://www.tech-sights.com

Or the old standby:  http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/slings/competitor-plus-rifle-sling-prod1268.aspx?psize=96

I ordered that style for the 20" LAR-8, made of sorbothane and made by Turner Saddlery.

The "little extra" that these types of slings I've posted offer is the ability to quickly detach from the rear swivel, then attaching directly to the upper part of your support arm.  The ROCK SOLID foundation this gives you in prone is nearly impossible to communicate.

The sling I used like the one you posted above did detach quickly and did fit over my arm, even allowing me to get into a solid position.  But with the first shot of my .22 rifle, the nylon would slip.  After insisting I was doing it wrong, the Appleseed instructor tried to demonstrate and, after getting the same results, said "Yeah, you're going to need a better sling."

Jon

Sheeeeeit - sorbothane?

All three of the 10/22s have the VTAC Mk1, the GSR has one, the Rem 700 has one, the Mk12 Mod 0 has one, and the FV-SR has one.  Can't go wrong there, and I've got alot of "testing" behind them.  Hell, the FV-SR has been through 2 Appleseeds, and all the 10/22s have been out to each shoot in the last year, as loaners.  I even shot the Mk12 myself at one, iron sights only.

Damn good sling, brother, damn good.  <thumbsup>