• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

headspace woes

blue109

sigh.

so, finally getting this thing finished. i did the online ghetto headspace test a few weeks ago. stripped bolt, barrel removed from receiver. a live round slid into the chamber and the bolt would turn by hand. then i slapped a layer of masking tape on the round and it still closed. 2 layers of tape and the lugs hit and the bolt wouldnt turn. by no means a real test, but i had it apart so why not. today i brought the assembled upper to a local shop who said they could headspace it assembled.  the guy said it wouldnt close on the go gauge.  he also said hes seen the rainier barrels be really tight. i know shes a tight beast right now and honestly wont even close all the way without a tap, but my old upper was like that too until i got a few hundred rounds down the pipe. it closes and locks if i let it slam a little. if i put a live round in there and let it slam a little (maybe a 1/2 to 1/4 drop) it looks like its closing all the way. finally got it all put together and torqued so im dreading tearing it apart again.

hindsight:

i should have asked what gauges they use but i didnt

i should have just brought them the stripped parts...but i didnt.

thoughts?

up sides....guys at the shop (black weapons armory, tucson AZ) were nice guys. they didnt charge me anything. they said bring it back if i think of something and they wont charge me again. they had tons of bad ass rifles on the walls and nice accessories under the glass.

Head space gages work much better than tape .Some bolt lug interference fit , will be there until they are broken in, some bolts & barrel extensions will do this, some won't .

What gages did they try , all three of them , go,no go & field ? 

Run it wet & let the BCG fall freely .

Just did the go. Doesn't seem like much point in doing the other two if the go won't close. IM just wondering if the tight lockup might be the only reason it failed since I know for a fact it closes on a live round. I know the test is done closing the bolt by hand...and its pretty tight by hand even with nothing in the chamber. Maybe I'll just strip it down again to be safe.

Blue     what yo are seeing is that the headspace gauges actually come in .762 and .308 theres just a tad difference in them...ive got a headspace gauge....forgot which one....but its a compromise between the two....sooo just lube it up and shoot it using 308 rounds for break in not.762

all of my  pipes are Rainiers.....just go out and blast away :))    Wash

I have three builds with Rainier UM barrels -16, 18, 20.

You need to be careful on high power loads.

Mine had issues with Nosler Custom Comps and Black Hills Red Box Match with pressure.

I have since started reloading and now have found the right load.

I also have head spacing tools and measured my chambers extensively to confirm.

Most all other loads are no problem.

Just inspect for pressure signs.

Just did the go. Doesn't seem like much point in doing the other two if the go won't close. IM just wondering if the tight lockup might be the only reason it failed since I know for a fact it closes on a live round. I know the test is done closing the bolt by hand...and its pretty tight by hand even with nothing in the chamber. Maybe I'll just strip it down again to be safe.

on mine, it refused to lock with the go gauge if I walked the bolt down, but closed fine if I let it go hard (not even full length, but halfway). I was worried when it wouldn't lock at first, but then realizing how tight it was and that with some power behind it there was no issue so that it was all just resistance from tightness, not incorrect headspace. not saying that's the case with yours but it may be. I've got 400 rounds of crappy 40 year old 762 surplus through mine now with relatively limited issues (some FTE, some FTF, some duds)