• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Time to start reloading need some help

Magwa

I have loaded for bolt guns and some pistol for 35 years I have all the tools but I have never loaded for a semi auto rifle. So what dies? small base full length, I have never crimped anything  so How much of a crimp do i need to do it right? and how do you determine the right crimp? I will be loading for 5.56 and 7.62 or 308 it is the only way I can afford hunting bullets.. help..... lol

Since my ammo in 5.56 is used in multiple guns, I use a small base and full length  die to make sure the all chamber.

I also use slightly small expander balls, and so, have never had to crimp in any cal.  wich  include 5.56 , 6.8 , 30 HRT, 7.62X40 and 260 Rem.

Respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce

I have used  taper crimp dies for many years , but the Lee factory crimp die has won me over lately on most of my crimping.

How much , depends on the loading & bullet type.

I have not done any testing yet on the two different crimping types ,but will later this year.

Full length die set will work ,but I also use small base sizing dies on most of my semi auto loads , Because I use the same ammo in different rifles also.

Crimping is important on these semi-auto rifles.

When we met in Casa Grande, some .223/5.56 rounds were getting pushed back into the case on recoil due to a too light crimp.

Too heavy a crimp and you may get pressure variances or the round may seat too deep in the chamber (depending on the cartridge).

I also recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Dies!

Crimping is important on these semi-auto rifles.

When we met in Casa Grande, some .223/5.56 rounds were getting pushed back into the case on recoil due to a too light crimp.

Too heavy a crimp and you may get pressure variances or the round may seat too deep in the chamber (depending on the cartridge).

I also recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Dies!

Very TRUE !  I was getting rid of ammo I made 3 years ago, before I got a feel for the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I now have a second LFCD that is very consistant and is adjusted properly. That makes a difference.