• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Superior Barrels

D.R.D.

Just so you know, Superior Barrels supplied some of the original barrels for the Mk12 project, on Douglas blanks.

If you research that project, that will tell you about their quality, accuracy, whatever. 

EDIT - by the way, both those barrels you listed are OOS.  Pipedream, for now... I'm just sayin'...

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks guys.  Excuse my ignorance, but what does "OOS" stand for?  What do you mean by unobtainium?  I find it hard to believe that any one manufacturer has discovered some "special metal or 'super' treatment that no-one else in the metallurgic or scientific has heard of.  If they are so great, why isn't everyone else using them?  I'll contact Branson, thanks.

DRD 

Dude, you're just better off buying something that's quality, and something that's in stock somewhere.  There are PLENTY of good barrels out there.

They'll get to 1k yards, if you can do your part.  I've seen you bypass those recommendations on good barrels that'll do 1k, just for some combination of "everything" that you're looking for. 5R, poly rifling, melonite or nitride, etc.

It seems like you're searching for something magical that's gonna do it for you.  Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have, expensive, cheap, whatever - 1k is not easy to just go sit at a bench, or in the prone, and just pull off.  It takes a lot of time, a lot of practice, a lot of ammo, and a lot of varying weather conditions to get good at. 

Other questions that you've posed recently - saltwater worries.  Where do you live that it's going to be a concern?  Give us some background on you.  You have 5 builds going on, it seems like you've done some research on parts, but there are some strange questions coming out...

5 builds:

1 Lightweight AR15 - half complete

2 .22lr Rifle based on Savage Mk II

3 .308 Bolt Action

4 AK47

5 .308AR

The 308AR will spend a lot of time living on a boat, miles offshore in the ocean, and be in coastal areas, in the rain, where wet, salt air winds, etc.

I'm not in a rush to complete any of these builds. I'd rather take my time and spend once if possible.

DRD

Edited by D.R.D.

I still think cerakote is the best barrier for elements, there was a link on one of planeflyers threads showing the comparisons.

I also believe that for the money the Rainier Ultra match barrel can't be beat. It's what I would use if I were to build, then you could get it coated before install. It's been know to shoot 1/2 moa or better if you do your part