• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Member from NC

J.Boyette

Short story on me.  I joined the Army in Sept 1990 I was in Europe by Oct 1990 and touching down in Saudi Arabi in Nov 1990. How is that possible, I know someone is asking?  I was in the National Guard for 6 years prior to joining the Army. So, I had all my training and did not have to go through Basic or AIT again. Once I got to Europe, I volunteered to go the the Gulf War and they sent me straight over?  I was a Combat Engineer and they were sure lots of those guys were going to die taking all those mines out they layed out for us. Well, not many of them died at all prior to me getting there, so I volunteered yet again for anothther job?  I was Door Gunner in a Blackhawk Helicopter!!  I served with 4-1 Aviation out of Kansas, which is the the Big Red One for the people that do not know.  I flew 177 hours in the Blackhawk.  Although only 77 hours of that was during the 100 hr short War.  Nothing like the battle that went on in Iraq and Afganistan now.  I have alot of Respect for those men that went over to kick Saddams ass the second time  and everyone that went to Afganistan.  It was hell when I was there and looks to be even worse the second time. Anyway, we lost 1 helicopter out of fifteen and it had 2 pilots and 2 crewchiefs in it.  One bunked right next to me and it was real weird not sitting there and listining to him play his guitar at night.  Sorry, I was rambling!!  Have a good one guys!!!

TacBlade,

I can see you and I are cut from the same cloth.

I was in the Army from 1996-2005, during that time I was with Cco 1/325 AIR, that's part of the 2nd BDE 82nd Airborne Div. Then for my last year I was working as part of the cadre at the U.S. Army Infantry School at Ft Benning.

but in 2005, I basically got a med drop from the system due to my injury's in Iraq. And the rest is history as they say. 

The Combat Engineer was not my dream job, I really did not like it.  My intentions were very different and I did get started, but did not make it through the training the first time, due to foot injuries and they medicallly cut me from the school?  Im not BSing, as I can show you the paperwork, but I made it to the first stage in Ft Bragg at the Special Forces school.  Like I said though, never made it all the way through.  That was my dream to go in and get the Green Beret, but that was cut short.  That was the only time I ever scored perfect on the PT test, I was training my ass off at Ft Irwin.  Now that I mentioned Ft Irwin, I am sure you know why I wanted to get the hell out of there!!!!!

TacBlade,

I would rather fail, then to never try.

I was told a long time ago that a person that is not afraid to fail, will always succeed in life. Its very true. I have my failures in life also. But I know I gave it 100% and I did my best, it just did not line up for me at that time.

thats more then 99% of the world can say, and I am a better person for it.   

TacBlade, SFAS isn't a First Time GO for alot of people.  A WHOLE lot of people.  You went, and that's above and beyond way more than 99% of the Army can say.  <thumbsup>

TacBlade,

I would rather fail, then to never try.

110% truth.  Welcome aboard, JB.